shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing settings from yellow gold to white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I have an 18K gold RHR and I''d like to have the setting changed to white gold. My jeweler is going to charge me $450. Is that unreasonable? It seems a little high to me. There''s nothing special about the ring. The band is 7mm wide and there are 12 3-pointers surrounding the emerald.

Thanks in advance!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to spend a lot why don''t you do rhodium plating in white gold?? It costs approx $25 or more; just a thought.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhodium plating is inexpensive and quick and I would recommend that route to get a feel if that is what you will want permanently. However, if your body chemistry is very acidic and you are hard on your rings, the plating will wear off sooner.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis used to change her yellow to white this way. Rhodium is in the platinum family - it is the same metal that white gold jewelry is usually dipped in to make it whiter.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Rhodium plating is a quick fix that will wear off after a year or sooner and is a great way to see if you want white gold for your diamond.Keep in mind that the white gold mounting will need regular platings to keep it looking bright and new,where the yellow gold needs only a polsh to bring back the new look.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all, the plating is just a very thin layer of platinum over the gold.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Well this is good to know.....thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An added plus: the diamonds do not need to be removed at all and the plating does not affect the diamond in any way!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what others have said, rhodium plating is a great idea. Just keep in mind that it is a temporary treatment and will need to be replated in the next few months to a couple of years depending on wear and your body chemistry. It won''t hurt the ring in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results