shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing setting, need your opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I''ve had my engagement ring for about a year and although I love it, I do want a larger diamond but I do not have the heart to exchange/upgrade my center stone for another. About a month ago, a fellow pricescoper posted her new engagement ring and I just fell in love with it. The setting makes the center diamond look much bigger, plus it''s so beautiful! It gave me the idea that I can just change the setting so that it will enhance my diamond, that way I can get a bigger look but still keep the same diamond. I''ve contacted a local jeweler and they are trying to get that Tacori setting for me to look at. I''ve had my engagment ring for a year and I hate to be rash about changing the setting so soon that''s why I''ve been thinking about this for over a month and am still thinking about it. I am in no hurry. I just want to be sure and make a sane decision. My husband is very supportive and wants me to get what I want. I am going to post my current ring, and two other settings I am considering. Please share your opinion on which setting makes the diamond "pop" more. Thanks!

I don''t know why the diamond looks bigger in the pictures. It doesn''t look the same in person.
37.gif

ring-7.jpg

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
And I am also considering the Ritani endless love setting. Chellebelle, I hope you don''t mind me using your picture. Here''s the link to Chellebelle''s ring.

ritanivstacori-2.jpg

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I realize the picture of my ring is kinda small and blurry. You can see it better in this picture.

eringcloseup.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2005 3:28:28 AM
Author:Leila
Hi everyone! I've had my engagement ring for about a year and although I love it, I do want a larger diamond but I do not have the heart to exchange/upgrade my center stone for another. About a month ago, a fellow pricescoper posted her new engagement ring and I just fell in love with it. The setting makes the center diamond look much bigger, plus it's so beautiful! It gave me the idea that I can just change the setting so that it will enhance my diamond, that way I can get a bigger look but still keep the same diamond. I've contacted a local jeweler and they are trying to get that Tacori setting for me to look at. I've had my engagment ring for a year and I hate to be rash about changing the setting so soon that's why I've been thinking about this for over a month and am still thinking about it. I am in no hurry. I just want to be sure and make a sane decision. My husband is very supportive and wants me to get what I want. I am going to post my current ring, and two other settings I am considering. Please share your opinion on which setting makes the diamond 'pop' more. Thanks!

I don't know why the diamond looks bigger in the pictures. It doesn't look the same in person.
37.gif
leila:

Well my opinion is go with the bigger diamond. You are probably looking at dropping another 2 grand on another setting plus the pave around the girdle. I would go with the same color stone you have drop the clarity to si-1 and go bigger which will aloow the jeweler to adjust the prongs in your existing ring to accomodate the larger stone.

I hear your main concern on not having the heart to upgrade, but eventually i think it will be inevitable as over time you might want to go larger in the future. You stated your husband wants you to be happy with whatever you decide to do so why not get a bigger rock and go from trying to make your stone look bigger to getting a bigger stone.

I tried following your post from a year ago. What are the spec's on your current stone. $2000-$2500 will surely get you a bigger rock for the money your going to be saving on not getting a new setting. I apologize if my opinion seems one sided and to be perfectly honest I love, love, love the current setting you have. It showcases the center stone very well.

In any case let us know what you do and good luck.
5.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
One thing you might want to think about is that that halo setting only makes the stone look bigger from a distance but not when you look close. So it basically makes it look bigger to other people but not to you. A friend of mine got a setting similar to Ritani, she hasn''t had it for two months yet and already noted she wished her diamond was really as big as it looks from afar. Just something to keep in mind.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lelila!

I think the fact that you''ve been mulling over this decision for a month tells me that you''re not sure if you should change the setting or not. The fact is that changing the setting is not going to give you a larger diamond, maybe only the "look" of a larger diamond. I had the same issue with my 0.38ct e-ring. I didn''t like the setting it was in so I kept looking (we''re talking for a couple of years!) until I could find a setting that would make the diamond look bigger because I knew my husband wouldn''t buy me a bigger diamond. I found a setting I liked that I thought made the diamond look bigger but I always knew it was the same size and it bugged me.

That being said, if you are insisting on getting a new setting, I actually like the Tacori one a little better, probably because it is a little different. It seems everyone is getting the Ritani setting.

Just something to think about.
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think your diamond looks HUGE already. It''s amazing how fast diamond shrinkage sets in!! I would suggest that if you aren''t absolutely WILD about those type settings that you just save up a little longer and get a bigger stone.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think everyone has given good advice about considering whether or not to seriously think about upgrading the stone, so I just want to tell you that between the 2 settings you're considering, I absolutely AD
30.gif
RE brwnidgirl's Tacori. I love chellebelle's Ritani as well, but when I look at the halo on that Tacori, my heart just FLUTTERS.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ladies, and of course Josh.
2.gif

I always love the ritani endless love setting. It incorporates both the diamond bezel and eternity band, which I adore. And it sits low, which really suits me. I am not wild about the open gallery. The Tacori setting made my heart flutter too, Firegoddess. It just spoke to me. But no eternity band.
7.gif
But that''s not a big deal. I thought if I go with the Tacori, I will get a signed pieces eternity band to go with it. I''ve been wanting one for a while.

My diamond is 1.49ct so even if I do decide to upgrade, 2-3 grand will not get me a much bigger diamond. I don''t feel ready to let go of my diamond and the funny thing is I never thought of myself as sentimental. I''m probably not being sentimental about it, just unbalanced. I will probably get a new setting and if in the future I decide to upgrade, I will, and then I will need to change the setting again to accomodate the larger diamond.
39.gif
I have to think about this some more.
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually agree with Josh...I would not spend $2k on a setting just to make my diamond look bigger when I could be saving that $2k, maybe add another $1k or $2k over the next year and actually get a bigger diamond. $2k-4k is nothing to sneeze at depending on what you are looking for in a stone.

For example, I don''t know what you paid or the specs on your stone, but lets say it was $10k on something like a 1.5c G VS stone. You could right now trade that in for the 1.75c H SI that DCD has for $12,100. That''s only $2k more and one jump up from G to H. As long as it''s eye clean..you go from a diameter of about 7.4mm to 7.77mm.

Or the I SI 1.79c that someone just bought from WF. It was $12k. So that diameter is probably more about 7.8 or 7.85.

Some people would say that the jump from 7.4 to a 7.8 or so won''t make a huge difference, but I think on your hand, worn day in and day out, you will notice a difference ESP if you feel your diamond is too small now (by the way it''s not!). But maybe it won''t be that huge diamond halo effect that you want either.

So it''s really hard to say. It would be hard for me to drop $2k on a setting just to make my diamond look bigger...I''d rather save and get an actual bigger diamond, whether it be this year or next year etc. But if you want the insta fix-...get the halo setting. But be sure that''s what will make you happy, it would be horrible to spend the $$ and get that and then realize you still felt your diamond was too small or you felt as though you knew the truth or whatever...by the way I think your diamond looks fabulous in it''s setting and I love it on your hand!

BUT as a self confessed diamond nut I know what it''s like to want to go bigger. Just be SURE you do what will make you happiest in the end.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
You know what ?
I love your setting and I wouldn''t change anything !

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all. I will post what I decided on, when I do make up my mind.
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results