shape
carat
color
clarity

Center stone opinions for e-ring

gabe2500

Rough_Rock
I am purchasing a setting and center stone through Blue Nile and wanted some opinions on these 4 stones. I am most partial to the .56c G color ags 0 because the aset looks great for the most part, as do the proportions according to my taste. The other 3 I selected in hopes of getting a slightly larger center with only a slight drop in quality if any, despite the J color drop. Is a G that much of an upgrade in comparison to face up white J in a prong double halo setting? I contacted blue nile about all 4 stones and verified that they are eye clean. The .70c stone is the most interesting one out of the bunch because it has a 53% table and a 62.4% depth, but the crown and pavilion numbers looked good. To me the upgrade to the .75 compared to the .56 is almost worth it for the size increase, but perhaps I am overanalyzing and that perceived difference is overshadowed by the ags 0 cert and G color.

So I would appreciate some opinions based on the info I have provided and some honest opinions. Thanks in advance.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamo...ture-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD03381715

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-j-color-vs2-clarity_LD03295204

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-j-color-vs2-clarity_LD02902839

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-j-color-si1-clarity_LD01522256

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Blue Nile can help you find AGS 0 stones that are bigger/lower color, because there is no lab report sorting on their website.

gabe2500

Rough_Rock
Actually, there is if you select symmetry on the drop down screen. Whenever you select it, there will be an order of ID first, then EX . The .56 had an excellent asset, I was just curious if the jump in carat size was worth the sacrifice in color. That's how I weeded out the AGS stones

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the ideal cut and higher color.

gabe2500

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response, that I was thinking too I just wish that I could find a .7-.8 since that is a 25% ish difference in size. But at the same time that .56 has a great asset and a nice color. I guess it is worth the trade off and since this will be placed inside a double halo there will be less noticeable size difference in comparison to a solitaire. Since from my limited understanding 20% is where the size difference comes in to play when comparing stones, at least from what I have noticed on pricescope and in person.

Thank you for all the help and anyone else that has input feel free to chime in. I wish my budget was bigger since its 2k for the center stone and that's pushing it, so I could get an ags 0 stone in that .7-.8 range. That is the size that I would prefer for piece of mind and unfortunately blue nile will not provide aset for GIA stones. Before anyone suggests buying the stone elsewhere my significant other only liked a setting she saw on blue nile in comparison to other vendors so this is the compromise.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-Can't tell anything about optical symmetry of the GIAs

-When the stones are loose, I think the size difference between the G and the Js is both visible and memorable (you'll remember the G being smaller even without a side-by-side point of comparison)

-When the stones are loose, I think the colour difference between the G and the Js will be visible face-up in a side by side comparison unless you're particularly colour-insensitive, but looking at the J by itself all anyone will ever see is "white diamond".

But you aren't buying a loose stone, you're buying a ring. A double halo is a substantial design - like you say, the few tenths of a mm of difference between the G and Js loose will be completely overshadowed by the diameter of the halos. And melee face-up really, really white. So I'd pick the G, because they're all small enough to behave somewhat melee-esque in terms of light return.

gabe2500

Rough_Rock
Thanks!!! Yeah, that is why I was very hesitant to purchase any of the GIA's because without an ASET that is a no go for me. The only exception would be the GIA signatures ideals because of the GCAL, but I won't even get into that :)

Definitely side by side there would be a somewhat obvious difference between the G an J and the size difference which is about 20-25% depending on the carat size. But you are totally right, that face up by itself mounted in a halo the J would look white.

Yet, at the same time, since a G is a better color for matching a halo melee and since the double halo is a substantial design, the halos should mask somewhat the size difference.

My worry was that the .56 G AGS 0 would get swallowed up by the double halo design, where as a .7-.8 would balance the ring out better, but maybe I am thinking too much. I have to think carefully about that specific situation and whether I not I should save up more and aim for the .7-.8 range.

Its just that aset for that .56 is looking real nice and symmetrical in comparison to most of the other asets I have seen for anything under a carat on blue nile. I have been looking at a lot of asets and found that one to be definitely the best compromise so far.

Thanx for all the input, this forum is awesome and has so many knowledgeable people

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gabe2500|1373567755|3481168 said:
My worry was that the .56 G AGS 0 would get swallowed up by the double halo design, where as a .7-.8 would balance the ring out better, but maybe I am thinking too much. I have to think carefully about that specific situation and whether I not I should save up more and aim for the .7-.8 range.

Halos are amazing size-equalizers - for better and worse! The "better" part is that I honestly don't think you gain anything in terms of impact or center/halo(s) proportions by sacrificing colour to go from a 0.5ct to a 0.7ct.
The "worse" part is that, well, I honestly don't think you gain anything in terms of impact or center/halo(s) proportions by saving up to go from a 0.5ct to a 0.7ct without sacrificing colour! I think you'd have to go to maybe 1ct+ to really note a significant difference.

gabe2500

Rough_Rock
Thanks, and you totally reassured me now since it really isn't a huge size jump from .5 to .7 and not worth the sacrifice in symmetry and color.

You are totally right about a 1 carat being the size where there would be a noticeable increase, but I have to be cost conscious and wise with he budget that I have.

Down the line I could always upgrade through Blue Nile anyways to something over the 1 carat range, since to me personally and to my wife to be only a 1-2 carat would be a worthwhile upgrade and we discussed this at several local jewelers when we were searching.

You have been a great help because I definitely overanalyze and this helped me look at the bigger picture. When I get the ring in I will be sure to post some pics on SMTB to display all the blingy goodness.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gabe2500|1373569350|3481196 said:
Thanks, and you totally reassured me now since it really isn't a huge size jump from .5 to .7 and not worth the sacrifice in symmetry and color.

You are totally right about a 1 carat being the size where there would be a noticeable increase, but I have to be cost conscious and wise with he budget that I have.

Down the line I could always upgrade through Blue Nile anyways to something over the 1 carat range, since to me personally and to my wife to be only a 1-2 carat would be a worthwhile upgrade and we discussed this at several local jewelers when we were searching.

You have been a great help because I definitely overanalyze and this helped me look at the bigger picture. When I get the ring in I will be sure to post some pics on SMTB to display all the blingy goodness.

Oh I think you're very wise to make a budget - whatever it is! - and actually *stick* to it ::) and a double halo will be blingtastic!
Please do post pics when you get it :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results