shape
carat
color
clarity

can you negotiate on a stone or setting at LA jewerly District

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2sons1

Rough_Rock
I know purchasing at the jewerly district is a lot less expensive then from your local jewerly store. But can you still negotiiate on a diamond and/or setting?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
the answer is YES!!!!

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 3:13
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Brian Knox
Hi Twosons,

Yes, everything in this world that is for sale is negotiable.

A family member of mine owns a small hardware store. He told me a story about a man who came in and wanted to buy a padlock that was priced at $5. The man offered $4. He was kindly told that the items in the store were all priced well and were not negotiable. The man continued to try to haggle for his $4 price, until my relative told him the price was now $6. At this point the man gave in and said he would pay the $5. However... at this point, the price was $6 and was not going back to $5. Eventually... the man paid $6 for the lock.

I guess the moral of my story is that while many things are not negotiable, some are not. And even if you are haggling on a negotiable item... it is possible to piss the seller off to the point at which they no longer wish to have you as a customer at all.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 3:13
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Brian Knox
Hi Twosons,

Yes, everything in this world that is for sale is negotiable.

That also reminds me of the story about the man who walked into a bar and sat down next to an attractive woman and offered her $10 to spend the night with her. She just about slapped him and told him to piss off. Then he lifted a briefcase onto the bar, opened it up, and offered her the 5 million dollars in cash inside just to spend the night with him. At this point her eyes lit up... and she agreed to spend the night with him.

He says to her, "Now that we have established what you are... let''s negotiate on price."

So maybe you are right... everything IS negotiable.
11.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well Laker,

The way I heard it was:

Man. Would you sleep with me for $5,000.000.00

Lady. YES!

Man. Would you sleep with me for $10.00

Lady. Of course not! What do you think I am, a hooker?

Man. We''ve already established what you are, now we are just negotiating the price.

I still like your stories, keep em coming
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2005 3:10:22 PM
Author:2sons1
I know purchasing at the jewerly district is a lot less expensive then from your local jewerly store.&nbsp
Laker,

I would not blanketly agree with this and it seems like a very dangerous assumption. An address in the jewelry district does not mean that a store has good products or good prices any more than an address elsewhere means that they are bad.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Cath

Shiny_Rock
The hardware store story highlights one of the most important things about negotiating -- you have to be willing to walk away and you have to have a backup plan. Don''t offer $4 for a padlock unless you know of another store nearby that also sells padlocks for $5 or less, that you would be willing to go to if your current deal falls through.

lakerkobe

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 4:44:14 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 1/21/2005 3:10:22 PM
Author:2sons1
I know purchasing at the jewerly district is a lot less expensive then from your local jewerly store.&nbsp
Laker,

I would not blanketly agree with this and it seems like a very dangerous assumption. An address in the jewelry district does not mean that a store has good products or good prices any more than an address elsewhere means that they are bad.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver
Actually... I did not say that.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Laker is correct, it was Twosons that said it.

Thanks for pointing that out Neil.

I can''t beleive my old B&M eyes missed that
1.gif

That is a generality that could be very dangerous if assumed as a fact.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I liked the stories. With diamonds, unlike with the atrractive lady, you already know there is a price at which you may buy them. The seller quotes you that price or you see it on the tag. Now, if you are a good negotiator you will understand that is the "asking price", and not absolutely the desired lowest selling price. You can't be sure what the situation is, but if you are willing to pay the asking price, then any lowering of that amount will be just all the better for you.

Don't be pushy. Win over the seller with your charm and enthusiam. If you are an immediate decision maker let the seller know that you are ready to make a purchase. Ask them to give you their very best price. Tell them, if such is the case, that you are going to pay cash, which will eliminate the fees associated with credit cards. Very few important sales can't be slightly restructured if those outside fees are removed. Don't forget trading in an item of value. Any trade-in opens the doors to negotiating. Inform yourself of the value of your trade-in, but don't show all your cards at once. Get to the best price first. After you have the best price, present the potential trade-in. Now, if you get greedy about it, the deal will not work, but if you and the other party work farily with each other, you just might arrive at a number you can both live with.

If a deal is bad for either party, then it really isn't going to float in most cases.

I have witnessed people of certain non-US cultures who have vast haggling experience. Some go right for the jugular and critize over value, and any other issue. Others are much more polite and admire the object greatly, take their time and single out a few supposedly critical and meaningful faults, sometimes imaginary ones, with the item. They are looking for the seller to offer a lower price based on their pollite criticism. It works very well....although I am somewhat immune at this point. I love to see it unfold.

Have a fun time shopping and never fear asking a sales person to see if they can "sharpen their pencil a little bit more on this deal, so that I can make a decision RIGHT NOW". Believe me, it puts the burden of the sale on the seller....and it isn't hurting anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results