shape
carat
color
clarity

Can fancy shapes have a fish eye?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible for fancy shapes (princess, radiant, oval etc.) to have a fish eye? If yes, what would it look like so I know to avoid it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that ovals and pear cuts can have fish eyes. I'm not sure about the rest.

Edited to add:
Oops. I meant bow-ties. My bad.
Ahh...fish eye on fancies? I haven't heard of such. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will speak up.
34.gif

outlander

Rough_Rock
I am sure that I read somewhere that fancies can have a fish eye (yuk!), I will go try to find where I read that and direct you to it.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Theoretically, any fancy shape could have a fisheye effect if the pavilion were shallow enough and the table wide enough. The fisheye effect is a reflection of the girdle just inside the table's outline. On a round stone it gives the appearance of a fish's eye.

Practically speaking though, you never see a fisheye effect on a princess cut because they usually have pavilions on the deep side.

Ovals, pearshapes, radiants, heartshapes, marquises can all have either full or partial fisheyes though, given the right combination of shallow pavilion / large table.

The number of stones with a fisheye effect are a distinct minority in the total diamond population.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tutorial, Rich.
36.gif
We all learn something new here everyday.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minority or not, either the Ideal Scope and the Gem Adviser are pretty good - actually, most likely a bit too good (IMO) - at picking fish eye up. If you are looking for a fine cut of anything (menaing, not overly deep) the chance to get one with the fish look go up - I think.

Do you have a certan stone in mind ?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the information. I am looking at radiants with a l/w ratio of about 1.24. There is one I really liked but when I moved it around I saw a few facets that seemed dark...but they were more on the edges so I''ve been trying to figure out why those facets seemed dark. They change from dark to light depending on how I tilt the stone. Here''s the basic stats:
Rectangular brillant
6.75X5.44X3.87
1.20 Carat
F
VVS2
Depth 71.1
Table 72
Girdle thin to slightly thick
culet none
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good

I looked at another stone that was very similar with a smaller depth (68%) and this one that was deeper was actually a lot "sparklier." There just seems to be so many variables on radiants that it''s hard to go by the numbers. The gemologist we''re working with said this one had excellent pavillion angles so that was why it looked sparklier. I took the David Atlas recommended chart and saw some stones that had the smaller table & depth indicating a better cut but they were not as nice looking as this one. I guess I''m just second guessing myself thinking maybe I''m missing something here. My fiance wants to work with this gemologist so I had him bring in more radiants and we looked at 15 and this one was the best of the group. We have put down a deposit...but I think I''ve pricescoped too much.......
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
but I think I''ve pricescoped too much.......

it happens to the best of us!!
i remember garry saying something about the light changing around the outside being normal (not a flaw) and is to be expected. the bottom line is, if you found one that you like, get it!! don''t let the #''s sway you. when it comes to your diamond, you''re the expert. though, i know it''s easy to second guess yourself. you''ve done alot of research, i am certain it is beautiful!!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Belle for the faith. The diamond was very pretty. My original posts were all about princess cuts and then I was shown radiants and completely changed my mind. But I had never seen a radiant in person before until this search...and none of my local stores carry them. The radiant is going into a Michael B 3 sided ring. Now, starts the waiting process--I know it will be ready in 3 weeks or so but who knows when my guy decides to give it to me.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results