shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying side stones for a three-stone ring

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy side stones for a three-stone ring separtely or wait until I can get a matching pair? Is it generally much harder to find a matching stone (H&A rounds) for an already existing one or would I be limiting myself more if looking for two matching stones at once from the same vendor? Also, how close of a match should I look for relative to the center stone? Should I assume that a well-performing stone is good enough or do I need to try and find a close match in terms of crown/pavillion angles, etc? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't consider buying them separately. It is FAR easier to find a matched pair at the same time. Trust me, I've done it a couple of times looking for studs for myself, and many times looking for others here. In my experience, WF is by far the easiest place to find matched pairs because they have such a consistent cut for their line. I try to have the stones matched pretty well buy the numbers, but really, as long as they are both ideal cut and the same color and the same diameter, you're probably okay. When you are ready to look, we can help you!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of size are you looking for?

I would not worry about buying one then looking for another if it is a very common size. 0.30, 0.33, for example.

It also depends on your tolerance for matching! I think with calibrated H&As they all look alike for ct weight ;)) But Diamonseeker might disagree! :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id probably work with the vendor I want to use for the setting and have them look for matching pairs for me in my budget.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD has got a lot of great matched RB H & A--used them for my 3 stone ring!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses! I'm not quite ready to buy yet but will most likely be looking within a few months. I'd like something in the .4-.45 range, not sure if it's a common size. Will definitely be checking both WF and BGD. As far as the setting, I'll most likely go with someone local in New York as it has to match my band and will likely need to be custom-made.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd wait until you can get both at the same time, and then get both from the vendor you're planning to have your ring made by. Vendors might charge to set outside stones, and can often source you sidestones for less than you'd pay as a private individual on the primary market.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results