shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a custom semi mount and being really disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dawn em

Rough_Rock
Hi, I would appreciate any thoughts you can share about an unsatisfactory custom piece. I bought my diamond from a broker and she ordered the custom setting and then had her jeweler set the stones including my new 3.30 round brilliant. I have not worn the ring for a week because the prongs leave indentations on my fingers and make them sore. There are 10 bowl shaped places that look like more diamonds should be set in them. The jeweler says no, not according to the company instruction that made the setting. There are rough areas that snag and scratch. The large stone is set crooked. I believe that the jeweler needs to correct the poor workmanship. All that aside, I am not crazy about the setting - it really looks too big on my hand, the setting was expensive, it is heavy platinum. I think I did a dumb thing by picking a custom piece from a catalog. I haven''t been able to talk to my broker as she has been at a convention. I will be interested in how she handles it. I have a lot of money in this ring. Alot! So far, I have been happy with her services. I will update and watch for your comments. Thanks

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
That you're not pleased with the ring may not be something that she can do anything about, but the part where the ring is uncomfortable to the point where you can't wear it -- that sounds like a problem that you might ask her to fix.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Deciding you do not like the ring you chose is your mistake, but poor workmanship trumps poor choices. If the workmanship is bad take the ring back and tell her that as long as it was done this poorly she should return it to the manufacturer and that you should start again from scratch. (Use a different manufacturer for sure!)

We charge you for labor and materials if you change your mind on a custom piece, but only if we did it right. If the job is poorly done, then you have every right to return it in my book. So should your broker. If not, that is her problem, not yours.

I have had to eat a couple of these jobs, (not fun) but that is my responsibility as a vendor. We went through several manufacturers and many benchment to find the people who are now turning out quality work for us, it sounds as if your broker still has at least one new person to find.

Wink

dawn em

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the confusion re: custom and catalog selection. The setting was made by the catalog people from the order placed by my diamond broker. My DB pointed it out to me and it looked like a winner. I didn't imagine it would be unwearable. If I remember correctly they do not accept returns because it was not an instock item. When I first saw it, it was in the rough, so it was difficult to envision what it would be like when it was complete. When the DB brought it to me completed I did not have time to really give it a good look (I was flying out of town that day). I will be in touch with her as soon as she gets back in town. Incidentally, I had the DB's jeweler put the diamond my husband gave me back into it's soltaire setting. It is set unevenly as well, and the prongs are bent (or misaligned, don't really know the terminology). They are catching easily on clothing, towels, etc. Once again thanks for your comments. If I had known about this forum before
read.gif
, rather than after I spent $$$$$, I might have avoided this situation.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Dissatisaction with the style, as others have noted, is unfortunate but not the fault of the jeweler. Poor workmanshp, however, IS.

We have bought dozens of pieces--both small and large--from our jeweler, and the one or two times I was unhappy, he made it right no questions asked. You need to politely and repsectfully-- but firmly-- request he/she make it right for you. And in the process, perhaps you can address some of the design elements that don't work for you.

If you really hate it, maybe he can remake it and recycle the platinum? (I know that platinum is outrageous these days...)

Good luck.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results