shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliancescope analysis..help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DND168

Rough_Rock
Greetings.. quick question..

On the BrillianceScope Analysis, if the white light, color light and scintillation results are in the high/very high range. does this mean there is a lot of "fire" on this stone? if not, what are these analysis used for>?

does it fall in the TIC/BIC/FIC range?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I may not be correct, but my understanding is the white light tells you how much brilliance the stone has, the colored light reveals the fire, and the scintillation reveals the play of light (sparkle) on the stone when you move it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you need the stone measurements, including crown/pavilion angles to determine whether the stone is tic/bic/fic.

DND168

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the comments.
Belle: assuming the crown and pavilion angles are in the "ideal" numbers, and so if the brilliancescope analysis is very high for all 3 categories is Very HIGH, can I expect a fiery and sparkly diamond?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it depends on where you are getting your numbers for ''ideal''. run your stone through the hca and see what you come up with. i''m leaving brilliancescope out of the equation..i''m just not a fan.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 3:19:40 PM
Author: DND168
Thank you for the comments.

Belle: assuming the crown and pavilion angles are in the ''ideal'' numbers, and so if the brilliancescope analysis is very high for all 3 categories is Very HIGH, can I expect a fiery and sparkly diamond?

Yes,
The b-scope has its faults but a triple VH or double VH (white,colored) diamond will be bright and sparky.
If you want more of fiery diamond look for a h,vh,h diamond.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
I was looking for a very firey diamond also, but i have now concluded to go with a TIC diamond. If a diamond has a VH in brilliance (white light) and VH in colored light, it will be very bright in all lighting, and in dimmer conditions or candle light the fire will outplay the white light. Why take away the white light at the expense of fire? Each kind of light will jump with the kind of environment its in. Ive seen diamonds in office light that didn't sparkle with white light and it looks like a piece of "nothing"-- very lifeless--very undesirable. Then i saw one that had lots of white light and it looked very very nice and shiney. Dont get me wrong you can still see fire under office (fluro) lighting-- so i'd recommend TIC that gives you the best of both worlds. Plus you are mostly under brilliance type of lighting anyway. Please dont let me sway you one way or the other, do what you think is right for you-- as long as its <2.0 on the hca you'll be happy with the stone!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 4:39:09 AM
Author: Daniel B
I was looking for a very firey diamond also, but i have now concluded to go with a TIC diamond. If a diamond has a VH in brilliance (white light) and VH in colored light, it will be very bright in all lighting, and in dimmer conditions or candle light the fire will outplay the white light. Why take away the white light at the expense of fire? Each kind of light will jump with the kind of environment its in. Ive seen diamonds in office light that didn''t sparkle with white light and it looks like a piece of ''nothing''-- very lifeless--very undesirable. Then i saw one that had lots of white light and it looked very very nice and shiney. Dont get me wrong you can still see fire under office (fluro) lighting-- so i''d recommend TIC that gives you the best of both worlds. Plus you are mostly under brilliance type of lighting anyway. Please dont let me sway you one way or the other, do what you think is right for you-- as long as its <2.0 on the hca you''ll be happy with the stone!
2.gif

It is not that simple:
The b-scope gives an indication of the diamond performance under direct light conditions.
The very best diamonds under dim light and candlelight are *drum roll*
asschers and 8* neither of which are triple vh round scale canidates in most cases.
Why? huge reflectors that gather a lot of light over a large area.

Iv seen a lot of diamonds with hava scores under 2 that I would not buy because I dont like the personality of the diamond.
The hca will tell you it has the potentual to return a nice amount of light but does not tell you much about how it will be returned except in very broad terms like bic/fic/tic.
One problem is that the minor facets are not take into account.
A tic with longer LGF can perform like a bic in direct light and a tic with short LGF can be mostly fire like a fic in direct light.
Then you may run into a combo that is cut in a contradictory manner like a bic with low LGF% that will not be a good performer.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 8:05:26 PM
Author: Daniel B
~Storm~

So do you consider 75-76 LGF small?

75-76 is short.
78-80 is midrange
81 and up long.
77 gets lost in the shuffle :}

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/14/2005 12:51:46 PM
Author:DND168
Greetings.. quick question..

On the BrillianceScope Analysis, if the white light, color light and scintillation results are in the high/very high range. does this mean there is a lot of ''fire'' on this stone? if not, what are these analysis used for>?

does it fall in the TIC/BIC/FIC range?
Hi DND,

The answer to your question is an emphatic YES. However the metric of "fire or dispersion" is a phenomena that is produced in strong or direct light conditions. So if you''re viewing this diamond in hemisphere lighting or suffuse light conditions you will not see fire no matter how high the Bscope results are.

Regarding measurements. There are many crown/pavilion/table/lowergirdle/star ratios that will produce excellent fire and overall brilliance. We try to be as careful as possible to select only those combinations that produce such optics but the Bscope is one of the most accurate technologies available for measuring this phenomena amongst any of those numerical combinations. Understandably folks who do not have hands on experience are naturally skeptical as I once was. As strm pointed out, even diamonds with seemingly lower scores do not necessarily equate to "less" prettier diamonds either. It is giving us different information, which we will soon be publishing in a new article/tutorial on the subject. If you''d like more insight to this feel free to drop me a pm or email or better yet call me during working hours and I''ll be happy to go over some of these things with you in more detail until that publishing.

Kind regards,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"the Bscope is one of the most accurate technologies available for measuring this phenomena amongst any of those numerical combinations. Understandably folks who do not have hands on experience are naturally skeptical as I once was. "

I just wanted to jump in and point out that even people who have hands-on experience with the BS are not necessarily believers...anyone who is interested can type Brilliancescope into the search tool up above and read up about the debate on the BS and if it's really as 'accurate' of a tool as some may believe.

For me personally, I like having BS results but I wouldn't base my stone purchase solely on them, just like I would not base my decision for a purchase solely on any ONE tool. The BS is one tool, one report, amongst many that can make an edcuated decision that much easier and more comfortable for the consumer.

DND168

Rough_Rock
Thank you all once again for the very informative comments and you''ve all answered my question and then some..

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results