shape
carat
color
clarity

Brand New to any of this...On a whim got a diamond...

buffinbuffer

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScope Community! :wavey:

I know pretty much zero about diamonds. They are hard, are made from Carbon and have different sizes, shapes and colors. That's my limit. :confused:

Last week, on a whim I bought a diamond ring at an auction. The day of the auction there was extremely bad weather which left very little patrons that showed up and none of the ones that did were jewelry experts. One item was the one I bought. :pray: :doh:

Here's the information from the Appraisal that came with it:

100% Natural Diamond
Shape: Round
Carat Weight Center Stone: 0.92
Color Grade: J
Clarity Grade: SI1
Metal Type: 14k Solid White Gold
Gram Gold: 1.75

Appraised Value: $3350

---------------------------------------

Now I know that value is really inflated especially since it is most likely retail. I've done a little research and I realize that J is not very white and has a yellow tint which I can see by looking at the diamond. I am not too concerned about that. The clarity of SI1 is what I am more concerned about, from what I have read, there can be impairments visual with the naked eye. As I'm looking at the diamond there are two small black spots close to the surface but are hard to see due to the shine (reflection? not sure actual name of it) of the diamond. But I also notice some cloudiness near where the diamond is mounted in two spots. I do not know how normal any of this or if it is a big deal at all. I'd just like to get some opinions from those of you who are much more experienced than I am, which is probably all of you.

Open to all comments.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to sell this diamond ring, I bought it on a whim hoping it may be decent enough to propose with. I'm only 22 years old but have definitely found the love of my life. The budget is very very limited at the moment and will be for some time.

Pictures below are with different lighting. Yellowish Normal Bulb, Flash from Phone, Flash Light Pointed On Diamond.

20150720_111245.jpg

20150720_111345.jpg

20150720_111141.jpg

sn0rky

Rough_Rock
Might be the flash but the stone looks like it has a lot of color for a j. also si1 should be eye clean, who graded the stone?

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Who did the grading? GIA or AGS lab report is what you're looking for. Looks very yellow for some reason, though maybe it's just the photos.

buffinbuffer

Rough_Rock
The letterhead on the appraisal seems to be the company on the ring box but states on the appraisal that is sent off to GIE lab for grading. It is signed and stamped. I can try to take another picture and see if it seems just as yellow but in person, you do notice a yellow tint.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that is probably a GIA N/O/P color. The color is really popping out.

Easy way to make sure: Go into a independent jewelry store that sells a GIA certified J. Compare and contrast side by side with your diamond in various lighting conditions. The store will gladly oblige to try to get you to return your ring and buy something from their stock.

buffinbuffer

Rough_Rock
I do have an option of returning this ring to the auction house due to them telling me it was the wrong size. They stated it was a size 7. Much smaller, probably about a 5. With the color being so yellow, which of course in the lighting they had it wasn't but in natural sunlight it is yellow tinted, I probably will return it.

If anyone was curious, I paid $350 for it.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
buffinbuffer|1437671347|3906550 said:
I do have an option of returning this ring to the auction house due to them telling me it was the wrong size. They stated it was a size 7. Much smaller, probably about a 5. With the color being so yellow, which of course in the lighting they had it wasn't but in natural sunlight it is yellow tinted, I probably will return it.

If anyone was curious, I paid $350 for it.

Well, it might be a deal for $350, lol. Who knows. If you think it is pretty and sparkly, then have an actual appraiser look it over. If you don't think it is pretty, then save your money.

Oh- I just re-read your original post- don't propose with this diamond. Return.

Post a thread here with your desires/budget, and folks here will try to help you find a lovely ring.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that from the photos, it appears to be more of a GIA N/O/P color. Between the carbon spots and the color, it's probably not a diamond to use in an engagement ring unless your girlfriend is aware and on board. That said, for $350, I'd probably keep it, especially if the carbon spot aren't real noticeable. Use it in a great pendant or bracelet or right hand ring or something on down the line. (Bear in mind that turning the stone into one of those things will cost money too.)

If you need that $350 right now to buy your GF's ring, however... then return it.

buffinbuffer

Rough_Rock
Technically, it is sitting on a line of credit with no interest for 6 months. So no money out of my pocket yet.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Is your girlfriend into fine jewelry or knowledgable about diamonds?

If no- then this diamond may be okay.

If she knows a thing or two about diamonds I probably wouldn't propose with this diamond. The color seems way too yellow/brown for a J. And even if it really is a J, she may be color sensitive and may want a more whiter looking diamond.

i agree with what a previous poster said- these PSers can help you find a beautiful diamond and setting at any budget!

D_

Shiny_Rock
Wait, even a O diamond with similar specs can go in the neighborhood of $1,500.
Uncertified, maybe less.
Just don't want OP to mistakenly think he can do better w/ $350.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buffinbuffer|1437672806|3906569 said:
Technically, it is sitting on a line of credit with no interest for 6 months. So no money out of my pocket yet.
Return it now!

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Good job bargain hunting! It's not suitable for a forever engagement ring, but it's about as cheap as a nearly 1 carat diamond goes for.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it !!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree. I wouldn't use it as an engagement ring diamond, but if you can see using it for another purpose and you like the look of it, $350 is pretty cheap. I highly doubt it is a GIA J in color. It shows quite a bit more tint than I would expect in a nearly 1 carat J, and if it is noticeably yellow tinted in sunlight I doubt the J color. I have quite a bit larger J and it looks quite white in sunlight. If you don't want to spend $350 just to have another diamond, and would rather it go towards the engagement ring, then I would return it or see what you could sell it for.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably keep it for $350, but would not use it in an engagement ring - maybe RHR and play up the yellow? Or pendant would be nice, as most people probably wont be checking out her neck too closely to see the inclusions.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fact is, you really don't know that any of the details listed in the appraisal, are close to reality.

Most concerning would be the weight--it was probably graded in the setting and therefore weight calculated by formula. Sorry, but not accurate enough for "me". Carat weight is a big determinant of cost.

In addition to the "obvious or apparent" misgrading of the color, I would be concerned about clarity enhancement. Nothing listed doesn't mean it hasn't been treated.

I would not obligate myself to this ring. Honesty, if you want help buying, present your budget and perhaps we can be of assistance.

I might be going out on a limb, but most women would rather have a nice small stone vs. just anything. One minute is 60 seconds too long to look at your ring finger with regret.

cheers--Sharon

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending $350 on a diamond ring you think you may use to propose doesn't sound like a prudent decision. $350 isn't a small amount of money.

It looks very yellow in the pictures and who knows what it's true graded color, clarity and cut is.

Also, you are basically saying you found a diamond ring that's meh and it was cheap so you bought in case you propose to your girlfriend. :sick:

I would return it and wait until the time comes to ring shop and buy something a lot nicer even if it's smaller to fit your budget.

Just my 2 cents.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
JDDN|1437680125|3906643 said:
Spending $350 on a diamond ring you think you may use to propose doesn't sound like a prudent decision. $350 isn't a small amount of money.

It looks very yellow in the pictures and who knows what it's true graded color, clarity and cut is. . .

I would return it and wait until the time comes to ring shop and buy something a lot nicer even if it's smaller to fit your budget.

Just my 2 cents.

ditto

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post some good quality zoomed-in/cropped photos in flat daylight, e.g. by a north-facing window?

Lay it on a sheet of white paper to get a side-on pic, then take a photo from the top of the diamond - this should help illustrate the amount of tint, although it's impossible to be truly accurate guessing colour from photos :)

Does your phone camera have a macro function you could use?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
This site is very snobby the ring was $350 hes 22 with no money this will do just fine as an engagement ring - when you are in better employment you can give your lovely lady an upgrade

That diamond is worth way more than $350

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
Sphene said:
This site is very snobby the ring was $350 hes 22 with no money this will do just fine as an engagement ring - when you are in better employment you can give your lovely lady an upgrade

I 2nd this. It's fine if you have little money and this is the best you can do. At some point later you can always upgrade to something nicer and your 'wife' can make this diamond into a pendant. Best of luck.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.diamondjewelryunited.com/4cs

I googled the company and it appears likely this is clarity enhanced, given the length of discussion of the company's "proprietary process" for enhancing included stones. There are numerous discussions on this topic. I don't know if $350 is a good price for a CE stone. There are a lot of considerations, including the durability of the treatment -- some CE stones don't stay enhanced very long and will look much worse as they wear. There are also restrictions on how they should be cleaned, I think. I would return and look elsewhere. The money spent on this could easily cover a simple setting. With a tight budget I would look more to the recommended boards for resale or to a respected vendor with a good upgrade policy. IMHO, it will save you money and heartache in the long run.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Sphene|1437725609|3906859 said:

I think the site is generally concerned with quality and value, and whether or not this will do fine really depends on the recipient no matter what the budget is.

Has the OP stated what his budget actually is? If the total budget is $350 then yes, options will be very limited and this ring is one of those options.

Another question for the OP- what would your intended like? What are her priorities, tastes and needs?

Especially on a limited budget, you need her input on this.

Some women would be bothered or embarrassed by a yellow tinted and/or obviously included ring. Some might prefer a plain band now and buying the diamond later. Some might like a CS or sIm. Some might be happy with the size no matter the quality. Some might love the story of how you bought it on the bad weather day at the auction with hope and trepidation and treasure the ring because of the story. :))

I would be most concerned with finding something she will be proud and happy to wear, that symbolizes your particular relationship. Is this diamond good quality- no. Is it worth $350- sure, even the setting would likely cost more than that. Is it good value for you? Only you and your intended can answer that.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think anyone has meant to be "snobby" so please don't feel badly.

I think if you came on to simply share that you bought a really pretty diamond ring that you want to use to propose to your GF with, there wouldn't be the critiquing responses, rather they'd be more congratulatory.

You asked what we thought about your purchase and asked about the clarity and you got a wide range of responses which is pretty standard. You also stated that you know zero about diamonds which is totally and completely fine. I think with all of that in mind people wanted to give you advice. Mostly people just want you to feel good about your purchase and not to have buyers remorse later on.

If you think it's really pretty and you feel your GF will love it (and it's in budget), then that is all that matters. :))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From where I'm sitting - married, 36 years old, I would say, get the prettiest wedding band for $350 to propose with, and then when you are ready to get married, and have saved some money, or on a special anniversary, give her a diamond THEN.

This is the 36 year old me trying to be logical. Who knows how I would have handled the situation as a 22 year old.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't like the look of that even for $350.

Check with My Diamond Zone for some pretty but inexpensive rings. There's a semi-bezel palladium ring for sale by a PS member for $75. It held a 5.8mm stone & isn't too big for a gorgeous sapphire or spinel. When you've got a bit more money down the road, you can get a diamond. Your budget might allow for a diamond, we don't know.

All the best.

EDA: on my iPad & unable to link the palladium ring. Please go to loupetroop.com & do a search. Also check the rings/settings section along with loose stones. There are some nice stones available.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results