shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile vs. Union Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NealYoung

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some help please. I''ve read a lot and looked all over and I think I''m ready to make my decision. I am looking at two diamonds. One is at Blue Nile and one is at Union Diamond. They are so similar but there is over a $1000 price difference between the two. How is this possible? I would feel more comfortable purchasing from Blue Nile but I can''t seem to justify the price difference. Here are the two diamonds I''ve been looking at.

Diamond 1 from Blue Nile
Round 1.72
G VS!
62 depth
56 table
thin to medium girdle
excellent polish
excellent symetry
$16795 (does Blue Nile offer a discount for a wire transfer price too?)

Diamond 2 from Union Diamond
Round 1.71
G VS1
62 depth
55 table
medium girdle
excellent polish
excellent symetry
$15730 or I can pay $15272 by wire transfer (is this safe to do?)

What else should I need to look at before purchasing? Is Union Diamond legit? My plan is to purchase the diamond in a plain setting and then my girlfriend can go and pick the ring she really likes locally. I would also welcome any recommedations for a B&M jewler in Birmingham, AL.

Thanks much for the help.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny why some diamonds of almost identical specs cost more or less You may need more information about the performance of the diamonds. Most of the PS vendors can draw from the same diamond database. If you do a search here on Pricescope you will often find 2-4 companies offering the same diamond. Check out the BBB online for Union Diamond, but as far as I know they are a reputable company. Wiring the money is very safe and common practice with the online merchants. They would probably accept a cashiers or personal check but you will have to wait for the check to clear before the diamond will be shipped- about 7-10 days. Both ways are considered "cash" and will fetch you the lower price. With the $1000 difference you could put more towards a nice setting or perhaps a matching diamond wedding band.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a search for both blue nile and union diamond on here.
Both have a less than spotless reputation.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree with the comment on Blue Nile and Unions Reputation:

Yes there are peole who have posted "problem post" here for those companies.

However, there are similar problem post for almost all the internet vendors here (including some of the prime pricescope vendors).

In all cases that I have read either the vendor resolved the problem, or it seemed to me that there really wasn''t a vendor problem - and that the "customer" either caused the problem themselves or the customer was not aware of standard business practices and the posted policies of the vendors. Please remember that the customer is not always right, and that this is an open forum and anyone can post pretty much whatever they want to.

Based on what I have read, these vendors will even go out of their way and absorb certian losses even when they may not be at fault is the other person is reasonable.

You will also find a number of post from people praising these companies.

I would consider both Blue Nile and Union to be reputable companies. I personally feel that in many cases their prices are a bit high (but not always) over some of the more promanent Pricescope vendors.

However, what I have learned from pricescope is that quality of cut is of great importance to how good a diamond looks, and you cannot tell quality of cut from the normal 4 C rateing and from most certs. In my case, I will be working with vendors who supply quality of cut and light return data. I suggest that you research the topic and consider the same. This will probably not cost you any more money to find the right stone that really "pop''s".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2004 1
6.gif
1:37 PM
Author: perry
I have to disagree with the comment on Blue Nile and Unions Reputation:
I will have to disagree with your disagreement :} and clarify my position.
Yes stuff happens even whith the best.
Its how they deal with it when it does happen that seperates the great from the bad.
In several cases union and to a lesser extent blue nile has failed that test.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my opinion...go with neither bluenile nor union diamond.

I''d give Mark T a call tomorrow (engagementringsdirect.com)...and give him the link to the two stones. I found mine on bluenile and Mark got it for me for $1300 less and included a beautiful semi custom white gold setting. He worked for GIA, he has been doing this for many, many years. He offers a 90% upgrade policy. He is awesome. I will be using him for all of my diamond "needs" LOLOLOL ;-) He will be more than happy to give his opinion about both stones and may suggest calling in one or both of them or may be able to find your another. Can''t say enough about him...just like Reena and Alexah and many others.

NealYoung

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pear Crazy but I (my gal! she also want''s a 2ct but I''ll trade up later, LOL) really want a G VS1. Strmrdr, you paint a bleak picture. I did do a search of both Blue Nile and Union Diamond and both seem to have favourable reviews with only a few exceptions. What am I missing? I checked both companies out with the BBB online and both come back ok. Union Diamond has a 100% upgrade policy but I have not found Blue Nile''s. I have emailed and will report back. Blue Nile seem like they are the largest company. Did you see, $104.7 million in sales so far this year. That''s a lot of diamonds! What do you guys think of the diamonds I posted?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I was originally going to work with Union Diamond, but am EXTREMELY glad I didn''t. They almost convinced me to go with a stone with HORRID proportions. I would have been devistated if I''d ended up with it. As for Blue Nile, they are WAY over priced. The stone I chose was listed on BN for $2000 more than what I bought my stone for through White Flash. Just an FYI!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It's too bad you don't want to lower your clarity standard a little. Even going to a VS2 could save you a pile of money. Nevertheless, how about this ideal cut 1.71 G VS1 at DCD. It's $14,444

www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=3035705

And just to tease your gal, there's an I SI1 2.22 carat signature series ideal diamond over there for $16.000. Unless you have extremely color sensitive eyes, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the color difference!! If you can and you could live with an SI1, check out this 2.07 carat G SI1 beauty at Whiteflash, it's around $14,700.

www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=2960708

I know you said you have to have a VS1, but really you're paying for something you can't see. I know DCD has an 80% trade-up policy if you decide to upgrade and I'm pretty positive almost all of the vendors offer something along those lines as well. I can tell you as a married woman, she won't want to trade in her original stone, just buy another bigger one!!
9.gif

As far as the diamonds you posted, it's impossible to evaluate any kind of performance without more information on the stones such as crown and pavilion angles etc.

Sure Blue Nile does a volume business, they are the biggest and most well known internet diamond business. By the way, the nations largest seller of diamonds is Wal-Mart, if that tells you anything. Bigger isn't always better. You'll get a nice diamond from BlueNile. You'll pay more -but if it's worth it for the big name security then go for it. I would encourage you to check out some of the vendors here on PS, I find that these "littler" guys give better service. You may even find that you are talking to the owner rather than one of what could be dozens of disinterested operators at BlueNile. Just my .02!!

NealYoung

Rough_Rock
Wow! What a can of worms I''ve opened up. I kinda feel like I''m being hard sold. I think I''ll purchase from Blue Nile. I have a feeling that some of you guys are working for the other companies. There seems to be a lot of bad blood here and I want no part of it. I came here looking for advice and all I get is why I should buy something inferior from whiteflash or dirtcheapdiamonds. Hardly impatial.

Thank you to the people who offered constuctive advice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2004 7:18:41 PM
Author: NealYoung
Wow! What a can of worms I've opened up. I kinda feel like I'm being hard sold. I think I'll purchase from Blue Nile. I have a feeling that some of you guys are working for the other companies. There seems to be a lot of bad blood here and I want no part of it. I came here looking for advice and all I get is why I should buy something inferior from whiteflash or dirtcheapdiamonds. Hardly impatial.

Well, there are posters from the trade on Pricescope, but they come with a signature saying whos is from where.

And yes, you will find that SI clarity is often mentioned as a well kept secret. No harm if you do feal this is "inferior quality" - after all, to each his own in that regard.

BN is great, and it would be even better if it gave some account of brilliance to go with their cut grades aside the existing range of numbers. This is probably just their attemt to "keep it simple", but between saying that "Ideal cut" means a certain range of table and depth (in the description of their cut grades) and saying "these diamonds are the most brilliant" there is a technical gap that needs filling in.

As far as I remember, BN did provide Sarin reports upon request previously. If they offer to do so, why not.

The price difference you meantion does not seem that unsual - it happens even for the same stone between two different sellers !

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil Young:

I understand your feelings. While I do not think that anyone who posted above actually works for another store, the fact is that many of the regulars on this forum have found that they can buy I or J color stones at SI1 or SI2 clarity that meet their needs. They naturally have the tendency to recomend the same to all new people as many of them cannot see spending the money for a higher quality diamond.

If you have the money to spend on it I have no problem with you buying whatever quality you want.

Personally when I started to look at diamonds I quickly also settled on G VS1 as my target quality. After much research and looking at diamonds in about 10 stores I have reduced that to H VS2 (actually I now focus my search range for G-H and VS1 - VS2). However, I will not be buying anything until she says "Yes" (and she is agreeable to that and wants to pick out and buy the ring).

However, the biggest thing I learned here at pricescope is that the quality of cut that is most important to how well a diamond looks is not represented in the 4 C''s at all. hence the HCA, the Ideal Scope, and other light return analysis return tools. This was why I suggested that you learn a bit about it before buying.

However, I care not where you buy, nor if you pay a premium price for a name brand or a company. I would say that you will probably get a better diamond from BlueNile if you stick within their Signature Collection.

I would also recommed the following vendors who also typically have high quality diamonds available (and information on how well they will look).

www.niceice.com

www.goodoldgold.com

GOG also carries the eighternity line of special cut diamonds.

www.superbcert.com

You will probably get a better diamond if you stick with the Superbcert line of diamonds.

Of course, there are other vendors who can also get nice diamonds.

Please let me know what you finally decide on.

Perry

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To try to answer your actaul question:

There is not enough information given to give a answer. To make matters worse is that even if the diamonds were essentially identicle in overall quality and cut (unlikely but possible) the $1000 may only be a pricing difference (profit).

Please ask for a Sarin analysis from the vendors on those diamonds and then post that information along with the color and clarity (G VS1). Then the question may be answered.

What the people here would do is first run the numbers through the HCA (and maybe diamond calc) to see if it was "goog"

If it checked out you would be advised to have an independent appraiser look at the diamond before it was set to be sure there was nothing wrong (see appraisers under "resources" uppre right). I also know that NiceIce also provides independent analysis of stones that are sent them (to their high standards).

May you get a great diamond, and not be disappointed.

Perry

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
We dealt with Union Diamond and ended up satisfied - and this was after an exchange, after the first SI1 we bought was not eye-clean enough to our taste. They bent over backward to make us happy the second time around, and we got an excellent deal on the stone we ended up with - a GIA E SI1 Ex/Ex 1.34 with AGS 0 proportions and a 1.0 on the HCA - for under $7500!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I can honestly say that I do not work for a diamond vendor, or have any affiliations other than having bought/had my SO buy my ring through WF. I am a psychologist, and very happy with my profession. I''m sorry that you feel like you''re being hard sold--I just want you to get the most for your money, and therefore wanted to help. Guess that didn''t work! I''m sure you''ll get a nice stone from BN, you just may pay a bit more for it. BUT, if that gives you the piece of mind you need, great!

Mustatang

Rough_Rock
Neal,

I don''t think anybody is trying to corner you into buying from a certain store. However, I''ve noticed many on this site are willing to share their experience and speak from it.

When two companies are grabbing the same diamonds from many of the same diamond databases, I think it is only reasonable to go with the lower priced one...IMO The lower price does not mean one is inferior when it is owned by the same wholesaler.

I am currently looking at buying a diamond and have been looking at the pricscope search and compare for about 2 months. Looking strictly at the databases and then talking with some of the companies it is very easy to see the difference in mark-up between companies.

I originally was dead set on Blue Nile. I have a few friends who have purchased from them successfully and have relatives with similar results. They have a respectable reputation according to the reviews I read.

Since that time, I have changed my tune. I will be contacting two of the aforementioned sites for the exact same diamond I would have bought from Blue Nile only at a lower price including the current $100 coupon.

Because Blue Nile is the biggest and most recognized they are able to charge the most and still have large amounts of revenue. If you are into audio it is like BOSE or into electronics SONY. Both have large mark-up because they are bigger and have a name that they can sell off of. Don''t get me wrong. I think Blue Nile is a great company and offer excellent prices. Compared to most B&M stores you can''t go wrong.

Those are some things I''d consider before disregarding peoples input. That is afterall why you posted? Isn''t it?

<----doesn''t work in the diamond/jewelry industry.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
NeilYoung,

1. I have NOTHING against BlueNile other than the fact that you can get the same quality stone cheaper somewhere else. You are correct, they have thousands of satisfied customers, they are defiantely a reputable company and you will get a nice diamond and I SAID AS MUCH. As for Union Diamond, when I was shopping for my diamond, I found the exact SAME stone offered at DCD for $500 less, needless to say I bought from DCD. I was simply trying to save you a little money. SHEESH, excuse me for trying to help you out.

2. Read my post about the VS1 G 1.71 diamond offered at DCD. Ideal cut-- I was not trying to sell you on inferior quallity, just making another suggestion for saving you some money again for the stone with your specificatons. You said your gal really wanted a 2 carat diamond- I offered a suggestion that could give her what she really wanted if you came down just a little on your clarity. Just trying to help you make her a happy girl.

3. Check the name of this board-- it is PRICE scope. Keep in mind that those of us who hang out here regularly are always trying to offer suggestions to those looking for a great diamond at a great price.

4. Like some of us said, it is impossible to say whether the diamonds you posted are good performers or not without more information on them.

5. I DO NOT work for DCD, Whiteflash, Abazias or any other companies I suggested you check out. I had a very good experience with DCD and have read lots of other posts from people who used Whiteflash and were happy. That's what I do as a satisfied customer, I recommend the company to others.

PEACE AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
NealYoung wrote: "I think I'll purchase from Blue Nile. I have a feeling that some of you guys are working for the other companies."

I will attribute that comment to the fact that you only have 3 posts here. SOme of us have been on the site for a while, and if you search old posts of ours, you can actually see our process and our journey to purchase a stone...clearly there are no affiliations...

So, that said, go with bluenile...I really don't care!
9.gif
I pointed out that I found my stone on bluenile and that Mark was able to get it for me at a significant discount (and btw...it was over my budget at the bluenile price...mark made it all happen!!!
36.gif
) Also, since you were torn between two stones, see if Bluenile will call them both in for you and help you make an informed decision...oh, wait, that's right...They won't!!!.. You don't want a discount b/c you want to work with a 'big name'....that's fine too!

But don't make assumptions about the HELPFUL people who have been on this board for quite some time and only seek to help others!
14.gif

Best of luck with your search!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2004 7:18:41 PM
Author: NealYoung
Wow! What a can of worms I''ve opened up. I kinda feel like I''m being hard sold. I think I''ll purchase from Blue Nile. I have a feeling that some of you guys are working for the other companies. There seems to be a lot of bad blood here and I want no part of it. I came here looking for advice and all I get is why I should buy something inferior from whiteflash or dirtcheapdiamonds. Hardly impatial.

NealYoung
emsmileo.gif

All you''ve been given is GREAT advice
41.gif

I live in the Atlanta area and wanted to actually go to Union and see a couple of stones. I spoke with a person in their office on a Wednesday and told them what I was looking for and that we would be purchasing a stone that weekend. They said they would take a look and see what they had in stock and how long it would take to get a couple more in and would call me back that day. Guess what, no call back from Union. I made it clear that we would be purchasing a stone that weekend and we did purchase a stone, but not from them....their loss.

I''ve purchased other items from BlueNile, just not diamonds and I have no complaints with product or service. Just my 2 cents.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, and NealYoung

Check out the "Something smelly in the Blue Nile" and the "Blue Nile Pricing error" threads from last week you'll find I and some others who posted to you on this thread actually came out in DEFENSE of Blue Nile.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results