shape
carat
color
clarity

Big Table Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Subdriver97

Rough_Rock
I just bought:
Round 1.05ct G SI2 - $5500 (opening price $6450)
6.66-6.72x3.94mm
depth 58.9
table 63
medium, faceted girdle
cutlet none
polish good
sym very good

I choose this "regular" diamond after comparing is to an ECHO Ideal cut, 2 Elxis Ideal cut, and 1 Robbins Bros store Ideal Cut. I seemed to be attracted for it because when viewing in direct sunlight and moving the diamond from side to side the flashes of light are more widely spaced, in the Ideal cuts the flashed of light seemed more tightly spaced...but I think it also caused the stones to have a darker appearance. I also liked that the bigger table made the stone look bigger.

I''m a warped because I like the bigger table? Because everything I read online says a table that big is lesser quality cut that a ideal cut...

I guess bottom line, it''s what I like and if what I like is cheaper, all the better...question is though, which one will she like better?

Can you tell me why you like one or other?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not familiar with the ideal cuts you mention. A lot of people call a lot of things "ideal" that really don't seem to be. I'd suggest comparing your stone to a true ideal cut -something that AGS calls ideal AND that scores a 1A or 1B by AGA cut standards (see www.gemappraisers.com). If you still prefer how your stone looks next to that, then by all means, trust your eyes and get what you like!
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you were happy with your choice until you started reading about how all of us love the ideal cuts. An ideal cut diamond can look darker at times and in certain lights. Your reasons for preferring your stone are valid. You like the larger table and the larger appearance it gives the stone. You like the wider splashes of light that it puts off. Do not doubt your own taste. It sounds like your reasons for choosing it were good ones. I'm sure she will love it!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are only warped because you would look at a diamond in direct sunlight as your selection criteria.
Most well cut diamonds look appallingly bad in direct rays of sunlight.
A rough uncut diamond looks better than a polished one in those conditions.

Subdriver97

Rough_Rock
I came up with the direct sunlight idea because I was thinking of what would make Lisa (my girlfriend) most happy. I knew she had to have an eye clean diamond. I knew she wanted it to be as brillant as possible in different lighting conditions, so I looked at all the stones under halogens, under floursence tubes, under just the building lighting, I held them under the table and looked, I even set up a paper tent to block out light and looked at them.

After doing more reading, I think what I'm starting to understand a little and have a passion for is fire, brillance, scint.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results