shape
carat
color
clarity

Basic logistics questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RedG44

Rough_Rock
I''ve been researching and shopping for an engagement ring for a couple of months now, and I''m finally nearing a decision point. I''ve got the settings down to a short list, and I''ve seen a few diamonds in my price and quality range every time I check WF and GOG, so I''m sure I''ll find one when it comes time to get one.

My problem (which is probably hilariously novice to all the veterans) is that I''m not sure how to make stone + setting = ring. Do I order both parts separately and then take them to a local jeweler to set, or does the setting vendor need the stone to set it on site? If the former, does the maker of the setting need to know specifics about the stone, or just the approximate dimensions? For more complex settings (bezels, halos, tension settings), are there any considerations I should take into account for getting the stone and setting from different places and having them merged by yet a third party, or does the setting process only SEEM more involved?

The setting vendor in question is Pearlman''s, by the way.

I''ve done a lot of research and I''m pretty sure I know what I need in terms of the ring, but I couldn''t be more lost as to the process of buying online. I''m not even sure I''m asking the right questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
It''s quite common to buy the diamond and setting from different online vendors. The major benefit to getting both at the same vendor is that the stone is covered in case of damage during the setting process.

However check with Pearlmans if it will be covered by them during the setting process. I checked this with them once when I was considering a Kretchmer setting from them and my diamond was insured while with them (note this is not the norm).

Alternatively you can get coverage via Jewelers Mutual which will cover the loose stone whilst setting. I think they are about the only insurer which will do this.

Do you want to see the diamond prior to having it set? If not the diamond vendor can ship it direct to Pearlmans and that won''t cost you anything assuming you get one free shipping.

If you do want to see it prior to setting then WF or GOG will ship it to you and then you will ship it to Pearlmans. This is best done by UPS Registered, insured mail.

HTH!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 4:07:58 PM
Author:RedG44
I''ve been researching and shopping for an engagement ring for a couple of months now, and I''m finally nearing a decision point. I''ve got the settings down to a short list, and I''ve seen a few diamonds in my price and quality range every time I check WF and GOG, so I''m sure I''ll find one when it comes time to get one.

My problem (which is probably hilariously novice to all the veterans) is that I''m not sure how to make stone + setting = ring. Do I order both parts separately and then take them to a local jeweler to set, or does the setting vendor need the stone to set it on site? If the former, does the maker of the setting need to know specifics about the stone, or just the approximate dimensions? For more complex settings (bezels, halos, tension settings), are there any considerations I should take into account for getting the stone and setting from different places and having them merged by yet a third party, or does the setting process only SEEM more involved?

The setting vendor in question is Pearlman''s, by the way.

I''ve done a lot of research and I''m pretty sure I know what I need in terms of the ring, but I couldn''t be more lost as to the process of buying online. I''m not even sure I''m asking the right questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since your setting is with Pearlman''s, you would have to order the setting from them and tell them you are getting a stone from GOG or WF if you are not getting it from them and tell them what is the cut and size.
You would then order the stones from GOG/WF and have them send it to Pearlman''s for setting.
Also for that, you would need to buy insurance for the loose stone for possible mishap that might take place during setting.

I think that is all, a little bit more complicated them if you just do the setting in one place. Check with GOG or WF if they carry or can call in the same setting if that is not an inhouse Pearlman''s setting, that would be the simpler and cheaper way if that is available.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
If you decide to go the Jeweler''s Mutual route so that it will be insured during setting, it''s really a matter of which you prefer.

If you don''t do the Jeweler''s Mutual route, it''s often recommended to have the setting sent to where the stone is because the stone vendor will cover the stone in the event of damage and the stone is usually the more expensive of the two pieces.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 5:24:19 PM
Author: Allison D.
If you decide to go the Jeweler''s Mutual route so that it will be insured during setting, it''s really a matter of which you prefer.

If you don''t do the Jeweler''s Mutual route, it''s often recommended to have the setting sent to where the stone is because the stone vendor will cover the stone in the event of damage and the stone is usually the more expensive of the two pieces.

I totally agree with this.

RedG44

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone for clearing that up! I feel much more informed.

I don''t think I''ll need to see the loose stone, at least not enough to be worth the extra shipping/insurance.

I''ll ask Pearlman''s if they''ll cover my stone; if so, that sounds like the simplest route. Otherwise, if I''m reading Allison D.''s comment correctly, I could have WF or GOG set the stone, in which case it would likely be covered during setting by the stone vendor? Is there any disadvantage to having the stone vendor set the stone versus the setting vendor? Is there any reason to do it the other way?

I''ll look into Jeweler''s Mutual too, but I''d rather not have extra expenses if I can avoid it (more money to put towards the stone!)
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don''t you just buy the stone from Pearlman''s? they carry nice stones, too.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 6:20:25 PM
Author: RedG44

I''ll look into Jeweler''s Mutual too, but I''d rather not have extra expenses if I can avoid it (more money to put towards the stone!)
1.gif

If you can''t afford to replace the stone and setting easily if it''s lost/damaged/stolen you should insure it anyway....

RedG44

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 6:35:56 PM
Author: JulieN
Why don't you just buy the stone from Pearlman's? they carry nice stones, too.

I checked there, but the selection is a lot more limited. That's not to say I couldn't find a great stone there, but I haven't seen the right one yet.

Author: neatfreak
If you can't afford to replace the stone and setting easily if it's lost/damaged/stolen you should insure it anyway....

Oh, my mistake. I must have misunderstood, because I got the impression the insurance during setting was separate/additional to the insurance I'd get on the finished piece. Yes, I definitely plan on getting the ring insured.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results