shape
carat
color
clarity

asscher selection help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

momof3

Rough_Rock
Hello kind experts =D

I am in need of help - here''s my situation.

We''re getting a new ring and need to get it from a jeweler in San Francisco, I live in LA - we''re locked in because the original was purchased up there. But doesn''t look like i can fly up to make the selection.

The two diamonds they sent me info are:
1.2 carats, $7800, F color, vs2, very good polish and sym, 68 depth, 67 table, 11 crown, 54 pavillion, thin polished girdle

6.05x6.03x4.1

OR
1.00 carats, $6500 F color, vs2, very good polish and sym, 65.7 depth, 68 table, 11 crown, 53 pavillion, thinpolished girdle
5.83, 5.75, 3.75

They both have EGL certificates.

They seem similar to me - right now i''m leaning towards the 1carat since there does not seem to be a significant size diff''t for the cost?

the setting is the David K w/ pave all around and down the ring (3/4 down)...

thoughts?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi momof3
35.gif
welcome to ps!

since the diamonds do seem very similar and you won''t be able to view them in person, ask if the jeweler will take pics of the stones for you. we should be able to get a pretty good idea of the patterns from pics.

momof3

Rough_Rock
hi belle,

thanks for the warm welcome! i emailed the jeweler so i hope to get pics soon
emrainbow.gif

anything else folks think i should ask/look out for since i will likely not see this in person!

i''m pretty sure i can exchange it if i end up not happy - for a similar priced diamond...

gemologygal

Rough_Rock
Wondering about the grading accuracy since it has an EGL report... make sure too that these stones are not clarity enhanced in any way.

Belle is right about geting pics. Definitly post them to share if you can and congrats on the upgrade!

momof3

Rough_Rock
face22.gif
oh no!

i have a copy of the certificates and don''t see anything about clarity enhancement (definitely a deal breaker!) - it would say so in the comment area right? or somewhere???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome for the welcome momof3
2.gif

i hope you will post the pics when you get them.
36.gif

i''m not sure why gemologygal mentioned clarity enhanced
33.gif
that''s not something that you have to worry about with egl grading.

if you do have the reports, could you post them so we could see the inclusion plots?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure why clarity enhancement was mentioned, certainly not something I would worry about with the info you gave us. I look forward to seeing any pics you might get, and if we can see a copy of the EGL certs, that would be great too. I adore asschers, and am glad you found PS, so welcome!!!!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest Im not thrilled with either one unless you like glassy looking asschers.
The tables are too big.
There are some threads in the FAQ section that give some general guidelines.

What Id do is give them some numbers and have them get some photos of stones that fit.
Wondering why your stuck with that place.
Are you trading in another diamond?

gemologygal

Rough_Rock
I didn''t mean to cause any confusion - no harm meant. I was given an engagement ring years ago and when I saw the paperwork that accompanied the ring, the EGL certificate had a note on it that said it was clarity enhanced. Needless to say both the ring and the man are long gone, but ever since then, I have been slightly skeptical with EGL. Just my personal opinion.

momof3

Rough_Rock
hi,
the original ring was purchased at a store in the SF jewelry mart? where there are hundreds of jewelers...anyhow, the original store was lagging on helping me, so i went to the store across the hall where i got my hubby''s ring and they said they would give me full credit for the purchase price of the original diamond...they are also going to do the custom setting (after the daniel k halo).

i''ve been trying to learn as much as poss about the cut - and did see that the tables were bigger than recommended - how off are they??? not sure how long it would take to find new ones...perhaps after i see the pics i can decide what i think?

thanks in advance - and thanks to everyone''s advice so far!!!
36.gif

momof3

Rough_Rock
here is a picture of the two stones - not the greatest picture - but the jeweler also said they are eye clean, 1 carat on top, 1.2 on bottom

Asschers_pics.jpg

momof3

Rough_Rock
oh - also wanted to ask - do you all think it is worth the price difference to go for the 1.2 vs the 1 carat?

they are almost alike in every other way...again, it''s w/ a halo setting so not sure if want to pay the extra $1300???

thx!

gemologygal

Rough_Rock
They are both beautiful stones.
30.gif
At first glance, I don''t see much of a size difference.

momof3

Rough_Rock
there is a dark spot on the top of 1 carat and the northeast and southwest have matching dark sections, but not the other windmill pieces...

i''m starting to lean toward the 1.2 just because it looks more even.

but will also ask the jeweler how long it would take for a few other options...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 4:19:39 PM
Author: momof3
there is a dark spot on the top of 1 carat and the northeast and southwest have matching dark sections, but not the other windmill pieces...

i''m starting to lean toward the 1.2 just because it looks more even.

but will also ask the jeweler how long it would take for a few other options...
i like the one on the bottom.
if your jeweler is open to bringing in more options, then take advantage of it. you can never see too many diamonds!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS!!!

Congrats on looking for a new stone!

could the dark spots just be the lighting and angles on it??? I would be interested to know that before I chose...

I don''t think there is a significant size difference, and since it will be in a halo, maybe better to go with the 1 ct??

could someone post a pic of the setting??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bad pictures but the top one is the better of the 2.
I would much prefere a table between 58 and 62

momof3

Rough_Rock
just got off the phone w/ the jeweler and she is going to look around for a few more options w/ lower table, around 60...she said it would take a day or two - worth the wait.

i took another look at the one in the advertisement from daniel k and the table on that one is way smaller so i''m convinced too.

the ring is the first one that shows up on his website after the little flash presentation. couldn''t cut and paste the pic maybe cuz it''s in flash.

but it''s a setting that i think has been posted around here before...

www.danielk.net

thanks everyone again and i will keep you posted!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay!
36.gif

i''m looking foward to more options!
this is such a beautiful setting

psphotopic_25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results