shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
I guess I must have posted in the wrong forum, I originally posted in the "colored stones" forum. I've got a stone that my fiance found in his tire. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is. Although it looks like a diamond, I dont think it is. So I was wondering what exactly I could try aside from cutting glass because it does, and determine exactly what kind of stone I have whether it be real or fake. Thanks

http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected] This is a link to pics of the stone

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You may want to have the stone tested by a jeweler to see if it''s either a diamond or a mossianite. If it''s neither, the sales person should be able to give you a idea of what it could possibly be.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
I know this is going to sound just awful. I used to work at a jewelry store. We had a diamond tester there but it wasnt reliable so I was never able to see for sure. Guess neither me nor my manager really knew what we were looking for but we even compared it to the diamonds we had and we had a very hard time trying to tell the difference.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Andrea,

Interesting photos. There are several highly reputable appraisers here on PS. If it''s worth it to you, maybe hit one up in a private message and find out what they''d charge to tell you definitively.

Nice photos of the big "D"
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
he found it in his TIRE? wow! let us know what happens.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
Yep. At the time it was attached to a setting, however the setting didnt survive. Even if the stone is fake I''ve done enough research on here to tell that the cut seems to be of pretty good quality just not sure why anyone would take so much time on it if it''s a fake.
emcrook.gif
I guess I''ll eventually find out one way or another.

reena

Ideal_Rock
stuck in the tread of his tire? or like, banging around inside it?

(i know: i am a moron.)

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
emsmilep.gif
It was stuck in the thread. He found it when he stopped at a gas station. The only other places he had been that day was to the movie theater and then to walmart. I'm not sure if if at one of those places it got stuck or if it had been in there for a couple of days. He had pretty huge tires on his jeep, with pretty big grooves (I'll call them grooves) so I guess thats what protected the stone. I keep hoping its going to be real just so I could have a pretty diamond for $0 but ... I think with my luck it has to be a fake.

*Edited to add... my fiance just corrected me, it wasnt in a setting. When he found it, the stone was in the prongs. White metal so maybe white gold or platinum? Beats me..

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi -
not an expert here BUT

I read somewhere on here a quick way to tell if it is a CZ or diamond would be the "Rainbow" reflections that the stone casts off in light. Like when you are in the car - the "disco ball" effect that your ring can have.

From what I understood, the rainbow from a diamond is compact - redyellowgreen all together. The light from a cz however throughs a "bigger" spot of redyellogreen - like a larger more elongaded oval. Diamond - more round spot rainbow- CZ long oval rainbow. I did try this with my CZ pendant and it was true.

I think some here said that they put stone upside down in a glass tray of water - and put a light on it to see the "relections" coming from the stone. If you have a diamond - maybe try that with your diamond and with the other stone -- to see if the light relfected in the little rainbows is the same shape and/or size.

AND SO YOU DON"T THINK I''m TOTALLY crazy - I''m gonna search for that thread....
9.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I found this from a previous thread - hold on and I'll get the link - but the text is below from Rich Sherwood...

The link...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-a-way-to-test-if-it-is-a-real-diamond.4203/=

With the disclaimer that you should be sure and take the stones to an expert for confirmation, here's a couple fun "tests" you can do. They all require having a diamond for comparison. These are tests to distinguish between diamond and cubic zirconias only:

THE "HUFF" TEST
Hold the stone in question next to a diamond and "huff" on them with your hot breath. Both stones will fog up. The diamond will clear up rapidly, while a CZ will take a little longer.

THE "SEE THRU" WATER TEST
Put the stone is question in a glass of water, along with a diamond. A CZ (with a 2.2 refractive index versus diamond's 2.42) will appear more "transparent" than a diamond. It will look more "washed out", or "ghostlike" compared to a diamond.

THE "READ THRU" NEWSPRINT TEST
Put the stone in question alongside a diamond, face down over newsprint. You'll be able to slightly read thru a CZ, but not a diamond.

THE "DISPERSION" WATER TEST
In a dark room, put the stone in question in the bottom of a glass alongside a diamond, face down. Lift the glass up a couple inches, and shine a flashlight down on them vertically from above.

Diamond has a dispersion of 0.44, while CZ's is 0.66, 50% more. You will see a circular pattern of light images under the stones which has been "streched out" into a rainbow spectrum. If one of the stones is a CZ, it's rainbow spectrum will be 50% longer, more "stretched out" than a diamond. The difference in look is obvious.

THE "GIVE IT AS AN ENGAGEMENT RING" TEST
Give stone in question to your fiancee as an engagement ring. If she throws it back in your face within 24 hours, it is a CZ.
Rich, Independent GG Appraiser
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory
www.sarasotagemlab.com

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
While I dont have a single loose diamond, nor a solitaire, I do have a lot of jewelry with smaller diamonds. I''m going to try it anyways and see what I come up with. I''ve tried what someone had suggested earlier to make a dot on a piece of white paper and put the stone on top but I couldn''t see the dot. From certain angles I think I could see a reflection of black.. and then I''ve done the newspaper test, I can''t read anything. Ultimately I''m sure I''ll have to take it to find out what it is, but figured I''d just get some input before I did so. Also, even though I dont have a diamond to compare it with I''m still going to do the things that Laney posted. Last night I tried the "fog" test but... I didnt see it fog up, so... maybe my eyes are just bad
2.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Based on the new info (found in the crown)

I am guessing it is a diamond.

For tests, I am fond of Rich's last entry
9.gif
the 24 hour give it and wait test. LOL

jesster00420

Rough_Rock
Maybe this sounds silly, but if he was driving with the thing stuck into his tire, and it didn''t chip or crack under the pressure wouldn''t that be a big clue that it''s real?

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally picture this:

Guy and girl in the car, girl finds out he cheated, throws ring out window, your lucky man happens to RUN IT OVER , and VOILA!!

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
I guess within the next month Im going to try to take it to someone who could tell me what type of stone I have. I just hate to pay money for someone to tell me I have a piece of fine quality glass
emsmilep.gif
The guessing game is getting old. I''ve been hanging onto this stone since my fiance showed it to me a few years ago. Any idea how much I should expect to pay to find out exactly what I have? Also anyone to recommend? I live right outside of Houston, TX but within the city limits... Thanks again for all of your feedback!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
have you considered taking it to several different jeweler who has diamond testers (and moissanite tester) that works? Houston''s not a small city... there''s gotta be a jeweler who can tell you if it''s a real diamond w/o charging you a fee.
1.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Someone correct me if im wrong...

I remember a thread (i cant find it!
29.gif
) in the last couple weeks of someone concerned that the blue flour in their ring would make people think it was a CZ and someone said that CZ''s glow orange in black light. That might be something to try if i am remembering correctly.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
I do have a blacklight. Whether you are correct or not I''ll put it under the black light and see which color it glows, or if it glows and then post the results :)

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
The results are in: I did the blacklight test. I took the stone in question and I compared it with 2 other rings that I had.... the results were WEIRD.
First of all- I''d like to say.. I now understand why no one buys from the mall and even though I bought these rings when I wasnt educated on stones, diamonds, etc..this still struck me as strange.

As I was saying I took 2 rings that were all supposed to have diamonds in them

On my horeshoe ring: the diamonds didnt really glow except for one that glowed white
On the second ring: It was a diamond cluster ring that I bought from Friedmans... half of the cluster glowed this purplish bluish color... one of the diamonds glowed ORANGE
To get on with my story here the stone in question glowed a very very light bluish purplish color. So... do I have a fake on my hands?

Perhaps later if I get the time I can try to snap a picture of this... not sure how that''ll work out though.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
Sorry for posting so much. I just remembered that I had a larger CZ so I took both stones and put them side by side under a black light. The CZ glowed like a light purplish color while.. the stone was much more darker color. Seemed like much more light was going through.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More guessing...

The purplish-blue should be the look of faintly fluorescent diamonds.
Orange? Could be diamond, or CZ... you never know.
None at all (the darker look) - could be anything: CZ, diamond, white sapphire.

This stone must visit a jeweler. However, is there any trace of abrazion on the facets ? Scartches? Anything ? I would expect a diamond to acquire chips if run over by a car, something softer would get dull all over from abrazion.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take the stone to a pawn shop and ask that they test it for diamond in front of you. They ALL have CZ testing equipment. Make sure the stone is clean when you go so they don''t need to wipe it off or clean it away from your view.

A CZ can be read through, as has been said above. Put the stone, table down, on a nmewpaper or over a spot of blue or black ink. If you can see the ink right through the stone''s pavilion, then it is very likely a CZ. If you can''t read through it, it is a lot more liekly to be a diamond.

The girdle looks very polished in one of your photos. A few diamonds have such a girdle, but most have faceted girdles rather than a smooth polished edge. This favors CZ or the like as a final outcome, but I really can''t tell.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... i''ll make one more comment that blue flouresence happens in real diamonds too. I dont think i am helping much. Maybe one of the experts on the board will see your post and chime in!

PS - I spent ANOTHER 10 minutes looking for that thread and still cant find it... i feel like im crazy now!

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
This stone doesnt look dull at all. However there is a small chip at the tip of the stone. I am going to make plans soon to take it to a jeweler because reguardless.. I adore it and I would like to know what it is. Even though it''s likely to sit in the jewelry box if its a CZ :)

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, how big is it? Is the top bigger/same size/smaller than a pencil eraser? (usually about the size of a carat ..)

I''m interested now..

BTW - it cost us about $75/$80 in NY for an appraisal - where they did test our diamond to see if it was real. I like the idea of a pawn shop though. Maybe they would do it for free..

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
It''s actually bigger than the tip of a pencil. Not by much but it is.

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Andrea, I can''t believe that I found this thread. I live outside of Houston too and my husband found a stone too - but not in his tire. Can''t remember where he found it now but it was a beauty - and BIG - probably around a 3 carat although I''m braindead when it comes to guessing stuff like that. Anyway, I didn''t know what to do with it and didn''t know what it was - just knew it was pretty - so I took it to two different jewelers. The first one was here close to me and he thought it was very pretty and tested it with a tester but told me that it was not a diamond. He didn''t know what it was - thought maybe it could be a spinel but since I''ve done a little research on them since, I don''t think it''s that either. Then I took it to a larger, well known jeweler, and they didn''t even test it - just looked at it and said it was a CZ. I guess I know it''s not a diamond and I probably won''t ever do anything with it but it is beautiful and sparkles like crazy. After reading your thread under a different forum, I did the ink spot test on it right away and I could see the spot at certain angles. It''s still pretty and it was a fun find. Yours sound - from your preliminary tests - like you have more of a chance that it might be the real thing. Keep us posted now that you''ve got us all wondering.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results