shape
carat
color
clarity

Any e ring and medical gloves all day/work wearers out there

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
More specifically if your solitaire setting is between 4.5-5mm in height? and I know a lot will be totally dependent on the design of the solitaire e ring, but I want to get a general feeling out there.
I just wNt to understand if it tears gloves easily.

As some of you may know- I am "thinking"/ in the process of making an upgrade from my 1.0ct Asscher to the Octavia. This is about a 12-24mth project.

My current setting is about 4mm high and the setting is closed compared to most traditional e ring settings with prongs or halos. Whilst this potential 0.5-1.0mm increase in height is minimal on paper, I just feel that the increase is concerning with respect to glove wearing. Currently with the 4mm setting there is no issue with gloves being torn. I have attached pics of a mock up that I did with the "new" setting at the 5mm and have referenced it to old setting. Note that the new setting of 5mm is for a 1.2 ct Octavia. Of course I can go smaller to a 1ct, but u know, trying to avoid the dreaded DSS!!!! Lol
My eternity is at 2mm height for reference.

Sorry for the pics not in right orientation- iPhone.

Pls let me know your thoughts on e ring wearers with high crowns and glove wearing.thanx!

_15618.jpg

_15619.jpg

_15620.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Re: Any e ring and medical gloves all day/work wearers out t

Another view

_15621.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Um try this

_15623.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always take off my rings off (one on each hand) before I put the gloves on, therefore, it has never been an issue for me.

Both my day to day rings have low profiles and no prongs (both have bezel set stones), in theory, suitable to wear under gloves, however, I just don't like it as it makes my hands very sweaty.

Looking at the wax model of your new ring, it looks like it should be fine, as it does not have a high crown/gallery that could catch the glove as it goes over the ring.

How about trying it at home with washing up gloves and see if it would catch?

DK :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

HI Dk

Thanks for your response and ideas. :wavey:
Yes, taking rings off is the easiest thing to do.

From trying it out with kitchen gloves: my only concern is that it is wax and being wax, it will mold to whatever is giving the pressure. So, i think that the wax will round out with any gloves that i wear.

It is more the height of the ring that i am concerned with and whether it catches with continual wearing and removal of gloves. Back to the drawing board..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would it help to check out the massive bulge in my Speedos?

screen_shot_2014-03-08_at_7.png

screen_shot_2014-03-08_at_0.png

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

While I don't wear medical gloves, I'm a chemist and wear nitrile or latex gloves all day. I have two solitaires that I wear and I've never had a problem with them ripping or catching on the gloves. I was a bit worried when I got engaged that they would be a problem but I actually find them to be remarkable comfortable as the ring tends to slip to the side and seems to rest in the grove between two fingers. I hope that helps!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

Your setting looks fine. My dermatologist wears a big princess cut solitaire. The stone is set really high. When I complimented on the ring, she said sometimes it rips gloves :o

nottospec

Shiny_Rock

Depending on which health profession, rings shouldn't really be worn under gloves. I take mine off and it is a work policy anyway

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nottospec|1394346158|3630369 said:
Depending on which health profession, rings shouldn't really be worn under gloves. I take mine off and it is a work policy anyway

That's true.

When I go into controlled environments, I have to take off all forms of jewellery except for a plain no stone wedding band (some places I worked insisted no rings of any kind). When I was married, I would take my plain platinum band off too as I did not like wearing it under gloves.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nottospec|1394346158|3630369 said:

That's true.

When I go into controlled environments, I have to take off all forms of jewellery except for a plain no stone wedding band (some places I worked insisted no rings of any kind). When I was married, I would take my plain platinum band off too as I did not like wearing it under gloves.

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock

My e ring is a 1.5 carat 6 prong solitaire with a crown height of about 5.6mm. I put latex gloves on and off at least 25 times a day. I turn my diamond into my palm when I put gloves on. Not sure if it is good for the diamond but i guess it is the same as the other way under gloves. I know it is best to remove the ring but I am attached to it and there is no strict regulation to take it off in my profession. I have no issue with the gloves being torn or dexterity of my hands.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

During my 1-year foray into healthcare (city hospital), we were not allowed to wear any rings except for one plain untextured band (presume they meant wedding band, but they could not discriminate, LOL.) No diamond rings or other rings with stones. The job required touching patients with your bare hands, and washing your hands about 35 million times per shift. So you would not want a ring on there, anyway, because it will just chap your finger to death and/or get lost or stolen if you have to keep taking it on and putting it back on.

We were also told that over time, gloves will loosen the prongs and stone(s) may be lost.

When my dad was in the local small town hospital, I was surprised to see nurses wearing wedding sets with diamonds and sometimes a big center stone. I though all healthcare had gone to a no-rings or none-except-plain-band policy, for infection control reasons. Really, do you want your ring carrying home antibiotic resistant bacteria, remnants of someone's bodily fluids, etc? I never wore any jewelry except a work watch that was worn only for work, and a pair of small gold ball earrings. Really, none of the places (healthcare or otherwise) that I have worked in western PA are cleaned or sanitized. Down South, it was much different. Here, you're lucky if they get a quick half fast wipe-down. At that urban hospital, there was a piece of paper in the OR floor, in the sterile field, that remained there for the entire two days that I observed. So, not only was that floor not disinfected, it was not even so much as dust-mopped.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't wear my rings at work because I wash my hands or use sanitizer all the time. The gloves are not the problem.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When by daughter was in the NICU in CT I noticed all the nurses wore wedding sets, washed millions of times and out gloves on/off constantly. i've also seen many with them on a necklace too - just sayin'
Seems like prongs would be the real culprit

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

I think that height would be fine, I am a nurse in direct patient care and I used to have a pretty high profile solitaire and it was not a issue. the only thing I would worry about is if your facility still uses gloves with powder in them, not many do anymore but that powder can take the finish off and grind down prongs in a heartbeat it seems so then I would say leave the ring home. :nono: Thank goodness now we mostly use the nitrile gloves, they offer better protection and don't seem to cause all the skin issues :appl:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1394336083|3630297 said:
Would it help to check out the massive bulge in my Speedos?

Ooh, Kenny!! I have not been soooo excited about seeing a bulge in a set of speedo's for some time!!! But me thinks you not showing enough of the goods there!!! Flash some more! I need to see more! Don't be a tease!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Thanx for all the input!!! :read: :read:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Kenny- with the profile shot with wearing gloves do u feel the culet? I am trying to aim for a lower setting if the diamond, and trying to understand that distance and pressure from the gloves, if any.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results