shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique settings

Idealistic

Shiny_Rock
I currently have a 1.58 carat, round diamond. I would like to put it in a new setting. I''m considering an antique setting. Do you guys have any vendors you would recommend that sells antique settings?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I've always gotten mine from eBay because it is pretty tough to find:

1. a genuine antique setting in reasonably good shape
2. that fits your stone
3. and is empty
4. that you like, and finally
5. that doesn't cost a zillion dollars.

I compromised and the ones I got ended up with had stones in them. One had an amethyst that had to be smashed to get it out of the bezel, the other had a diamond that I eventually resold. Both took a while to find, but the wait was worth it- they were much more reasonably priced than elsewhere, and were exactly what I wanted. I tried the more typical channels through vendors but frankly there wasn't a lot to choose from (granted, I was looking for a very rare size of setting- you may have a lot better luck with the size stone you have) and they were way more expensive than what I ended up with.

Jewelsbyericagrace.com gets some lovely empty antique settings sometimes- generally theirs have stones already set, but sometimes they're empty. I think they do sell the settings separately occasionally. The one I inquired about was unbelievably expensive for what it was (sorry Erica & Grace! I love your stuff and you're sweet, but wow, it was pricey). YMMV, it may have just been the setting I liked happened to be unusually expensive. I was also surprised by the price since I find their prices fairly reasonable in general.

Singlestone would be another I'd check with.

Dover Jewelry, which is a place that sells on their own website and also on eBay, I believe they sometimes get empty antique settings, and their prices are really excellent.

Anne & Jacks in Minnesota is a B&M store that an antique jewelry vendor I know swears by. She has gotten some screaming deals from them, especially in empty antique ring settings, and describes their store as a crazy treasure trove of antique fine jewelry goodness. They do not have an online presence unfortunately, but they're pretty helpful on the phone. I called them looking for a setting for a 3 1/2 ct diamond, and they had just sold two the other day but didn't have any... I found the one on eBay about a week later so I never followed up to see if they got any others in. I think they may have a lot more settings in the size range you're looking for- the size I needed was really really tough to find...

Alana in Seattle sells empty antique settings, but has high prices and has been going more towards repro antique lately. I do *not* know what is up with their website- they used to have a lot of jewelry on it, and it seems like they still do because when your refresh the page you get a new featured item... but the links all seem to go nowhere. Weird...

Isadora's in Seattle, ditto, but more antiques than Alana.

If you are open to new, Van Craeynest is the only modern jewelry maker that creates things that are on par with antique settings IMO. Gorgeous stuff. Insanely expensive though.

Also Greenlake Jewelry for new repros of exceptional quality. They're the ones I'd go with for an antique-style setting- their engraving is absolutely as good as antique pieces, and I don't say that lightly. Most modern engraving, even nicely done, is simply not as well done as the antique pieces. But GLJ is definitely as good as the antique pieces. And their prices are pretty good.

Wannabuyawatch.com looks to have a mix of new and old settings, weighted towards new repros. I have never heard any feedback about them, dunno if they're a reputable vendor or not.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Hello there. Great advice already but just in case you feel like looking into new old-fashioned settings (made using old-fashioned techniques), here is Van Craeynest's site. Have a look under the 'PDF catalog' tab for their most popular styles. Here's a thread containing a good few pieces of same. LGK is right, the prices are not exactly easy on the wallet, though if bought directly from the company, (Larry is the main man) it's a lot more palatable
2.gif
, i.e. usually comparable with a more expensive Tacori setting in platinum. Anyway HTH
1.gif

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
have you considered tacori? they have beautiful settings with an antique-like feel to them, esp the TDF milgrain and filigree designs!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

www.antiquejewelrymall.com has really pretty settings.

I was actually trying to contact you with a few questions about your current James Allen setting...which I love. Do you have the style number for it? There are so many online. Also does the band sit flush with the e-ring? Is yours platinum? One last question just curious of you wanting to change it, are you just bored with it or do you not like it?

I'm having my own issues so it's helping me know other women are doing the same thing with changing settings,

Thanks
Brooke

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! I've been looking for YEARS and cannot find anything i abso love. see my posts :twirl: :twirl: :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results