shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique cushion or modern cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pharmgirl10

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if the antique cushion or modern cushion has more sparkle???
Thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 12:31:35 AM
Author:pharmgirl10
I was wondering if the antique cushion or modern cushion has more sparkle???

pharmgirl,

as i''m sure you''ve realized cushions are a crazy cut stone and for me it''s too broad to say one or the other, it really depends on each individual stone. that said, cushions aren''t really known for it''s sparkle factor. if you''re wanting sparkle go with a round or square hearts and arrows stone. antique cushions usually have bigger chunky facets giving off fire. modern cushions are all over the map. i''d suggest looking at some of the video''s on goodoldgolds website to at least get an idea of the shape. seeing them in person is the only way you''re going to know which look YOU are going to prefer though.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with MrsS... Check out GOG''s videos, they are very informative! It all boils down to personal preference. The moden (which would be Cushion Modified Brilliant) will have lost of fire if cut properly but it will be in smaller flashes. The antique (Cushion Brilliant) will again have lots of fire if cut well, but will have larger chunks of fire than the modified sone bc the facets are larger. Watch the videos and try and check out a few in person, you will know right away whch you prefer bc they are so different!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2008 7:46:13 AM
Author: CrookedRock
I agree with MrsS... Check out GOG''s videos, they are very informative! It all boils down to personal preference. The moden (which would be Cushion Modified Brilliant) will have lost of fire if cut properly but it will be in smaller flashes. The antique (Cushion Brilliant) will again have lots of fire if cut well, but will have larger chunks of fire than the modified sone bc the facets are larger. Watch the videos and try and check out a few in person, you will know right away whch you prefer bc they are so different!
Both MrsS and CR are correct!

I just want to add one point!

Its not always true that the modern cushion is a CMB (modified) and the antique are CB (non-modified)...

As for the hard fact that cushions are literally all over the place..., so are their identification and their sketches/plots, no matter which Labs grade them!

I have seen loads of antique cushions categorized as "cushion modified brilliants" and vice-versa!

There is practically all the info. you need here on PS...,

Good reading!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I will preface this by saying Im terribly biased
11.gif
, but I do adore the antique cushions (most of my jewelry are antiques), and I feel that the antique cushions are just oh-so romantic and truly going to be a one-of-a-kind piece.

PS: In case DH is reading this, please note I would not refuse a modern cushion either , FYI
3.gif

georgiemommy

Rough_Rock
Again, very useful advice! I love the antique cushions with the chunky facets - hands down.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer antique. I also prefer to stay away from the "crushed ice" look some of them have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results