shape
carat
color
clarity

Another reason to avoid Steep Deep diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These stones have a slight 1% out of round squarish profile, which would still be graded as having excellent symmetry by GIA and AGS.

The stone on the left - four of the eight sets of main facets have crown and pavilion angles of less than 34.9° and 40.9°, while the section that is leaking and has a less well defined star has crown and pavilion angles of 35.1° and 41.2°. The HCA scores for each set of proportions are 1.7 and 3.4 respectively.

The stone on the right is the same model with a one half degree shallower pavilion; it is in a “sweet spot” with HCA scores of 0.7 and 1.4 respectively.

I raised this as an issue because Rockdoc made a comment that I prefer and set HCA to prefer shallower diamonds. My preferences are based on experiance and research and experimentation to test those preferences. I have faced challenges from many people about those preferences that have led me to question my preferences.

At the moment my poor wife has had one of her 1ct earring diamonds replaced with a rather shallow stone. So far it seems the shallow stone is winning in the eyes of most people. It certainly looks better when it is dirty. And it has a bigger spread for the same weight.

1 percent out of round.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
my god you are a wonk!
emsmile.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WONK ("wongk") noun [not a radio station]
origin: unknown
1. One who delights in having expertise in an arcane and often tedious area of study.

thanks - I was a bit worried about that words meaning - it is a recent adition to the american language, and we (mostly) still speak English here in Australia. We have a similar word in Oz that has a rather course meaning.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2004 2:19:48 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

WONK ('wongk') noun [not a radio station]
origin: unknown

1. One who delights in having expertise in an arcane and often tedious area of study.

thanks - I was a bit worried about that words meaning - it is a recent adition to the american language, and we (mostly) still speak English here in Australia. We have a similar word in Oz that has a rather course meaning.

'it is a recent addition to the american language, and we (mostly) still speak English here in Australia. We have a similar word in Oz that has a rather course meaning'
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
but where is the ''er on the end. That is a noun, where is the active suffix for that one?
21.gif

Willy

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
oops --thank heavens you used the dictionary. wouldn''t want any transatlantic misunderstandings!
emteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results