shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I paying too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just purchased this from GOG for $6,900, now I''m feeling as if I may have paid too much. Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4138/

H&A Round
0.90 ct.
F-color
VVS-2
HSA: 1.1
BrillianceScope: VH/VH/VH

I did see one that had a higher BrillianceScope rating but it was $8,400.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4748/

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Do you ever have a problem with telling how much each diamond is worth? There isn''t any online calculator or anything. And if you noticed that you can have all the specs very similar yet the prices are vastly different.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brilliantscope isn't everything, or even close to everything. It is a stunning diamond, don't worry.

GOG is very fair in their pricing IMO. There are MANY more factors besides the usual 4C's that affect prices. Prices also aren't linear, so there is a HUGE premium for such a high color and clarity.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t expect a huge price difference if you are comparing apples to apples in terms of cut parameters, color and clarity. You have chosen an extremely well cut stone in the colorless range with very high clarity. That commands the price. It''s a very nice choice - you won''t be disappointed on any level of criteria!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Alright, I guess there is no way of really coming up with price estimation for diamonds since it really only comes from the appraiser. We''ll see about how it looks when it comes. I bought a 30x loupe just for this =)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 8:36:17 PM
Author: ChemEngineer
Alright, I guess there is no way of really coming up with price estimation for diamonds since it really only comes from the appraiser. We''ll see about how it looks when it comes. I bought a 30x loupe just for this =)

It''ll be stunning don''t worry.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 8:37:00 PM
Author: neatfreak

Absolutely!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
I''m curious. Who here can tell the difference between a D and an F? Is it only when they are side by side that one could tell?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 8:39:37 PM
I'm curious. Who here can tell the difference between a D and an F? Is it only when they are side by side that one could tell?

I think most of us couldn't...but yes, IF you can tell, you could tell when they were side by side, unset, on a white piece of paper.

In fact I would venture to say that in real world circumstances most of us couldn't tell the difference between a D and a G or an H assuming both stones were ideal cuts, same size, and not held against a white piece of paper.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock

Thanks,

I''m just really nervous because I''ve been searching for months. Trying to learn all the info I could about diamonds and getting all the key parameters from my gf. All coming down to this one moment when I actually buy it and spend that large chunk of change.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 8:42:53 PM

Thanks,

I''m just really nervous because I''ve been searching for months. Trying to learn all the info I could about diamonds and getting all the key parameters from my gf. All coming down to this one moment when I actually buy it and spend that large chunk of change.

It''s really hard, you are not alone in worrying! But please know that we are nothing if not super honest here. We''d tell you if it was going to be a dog.
2.gif

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 8:44:13 PM

Oh great, Thanks.

That''s all I was really asking, if anyone saw anything wrong that stood out with the diamond, since everyone on this board is very passionate/knowledgeable about stones.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go to GOG''s homepage, you''ll see some videos of color comparisons that GOG has done. It is surprising to see what you can''t see with the eye in terms of color. In one of the videos, he compares five different stones and in the face up position, it is difficult to tell the D from the G from the I. In the face down position, you begin to see some variance. If you have a G color stone, you assume that if it was a D it would be so much ''whiter''. Truth is, there isn''t a mind blowing amount of difference. It''s a very interesting and informative comparison.

As for the stone you''ve chosen, relax. It is going to be beautiful - no worries there. You did an excellent job!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone will be great! If you are worried about not being able to see the difference in the color, don''t worry, you shouldn''t be able to like everyone said. If you raise that question though...you probably know that you can''t see a difference between a VVs2 and a VS2. I personally would like a bigger H&A stone, and go down to a VS2 in clairty, because unless you plan on wearing that 30X loop with you, you can''t see a difference!

Whatever your choice is, the stone looks great!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 9:43:00 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
If you go to GOG''s homepage, you''ll see some videos of color comparisons that GOG has done. It is surprising to see what you can''t see with the eye in terms of color. In one of the videos, he compares five different stones and in the face up position, it is difficult to tell the D from the G from the I. In the face down position, you begin to see some variance. If you have a G color stone, you assume that if it was a D it would be so much ''whiter''. Truth is, there isn''t a mind blowing amount of difference. It''s a very interesting and informative comparison.

As for the stone you''ve chosen, relax. It is going to be beautiful - no worries there. You did an excellent job!

Thanks for your help again, I''m sure this will be very exciting !!!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 9:49:01 PM
Author: redrose229
The stone will be great! If you are worried about not being able to see the difference in the color, don''t worry, you shouldn''t be able to like everyone said. If you raise that question though...you probably know that you can''t see a difference between a VVs2 and a VS2. I personally would like a bigger H&A stone, and go down to a VS2 in clairty, because unless you plan on wearing that 30X loop with you, you can''t see a difference!

Whatever your choice is, the stone looks great!

The problem is, her mom will be looking thru the 30x loupe. I gotta impress her too =)

Plus GOG has a lifetime upgrade policy which is awesome. I think they have a lot of very extraordinary policies.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Why is she going to pull out a 30x's loupe lol.... I wish I could be a fly on the wall when that happened :) Too funny! You should get a pic of that.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You have a gorgeous stone! I think you paid a very fair price. It's not easy to find stones at that size. It will look like a 1 ct when set but you aren't paying a 1 ct price.

Plus it's an F VVS2. I don't think your FMIL will be able to find very much.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I say have some fun and don''t let her see the certificate with the inclusions... A VVS2 will take some time with loupe :)

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 10:35:31 PM
Author: beach
I say have some fun and don''t let her see the certificate with the inclusions... A VVS2 will take some time with loupe :)

Haha, yea, I will not show her the GIA cert. Therefore, gl to her finding the inclusions. I''m absolutely positive she''ll pull out her jeweler''s 30x loupe.

Now all I gotta decide is to propose to my gf with her family here or propose before they come down. Do people video tape their proposals? Do they do it in front of other people or alone?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 10:54:52 PM

Haha, yea, I will not show her the GIA cert. Therefore, gl to her finding the inclusions. I''m absolutely positive she''ll pull out her jeweler''s 30x loupe.

Now all I gotta decide is to propose to my gf with her family here or propose before they come down. Do people video tape their proposals? Do they do it in front of other people or alone?

It really depends on the girl. I personally would be horrifed to have something so personal done in front of my family (although we aren''t very close). Its a private moment between you two. however, if she''s super close to her family, i think she might like it. lots of people tape it their propoals because im sure they are fun to watch!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 10:54:52 PM

I agree with Redrose, it depends on the girl. If you aren''t sure, do it in private.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 10:58:01 PM
Author: redrose229

It really depends on the girl. I personally would be horrifed to have something so personal done in front of my family (although we aren''t very close). Its a private moment between you two. however, if she''s super close to her family, i think she might like it. lots of people tape it their propoals because im sure they are fun to watch!

Hmmm, I think she might be freaked out too if I did it in front of her family. The other part I''m still wondering also is if the proposer still asks the father for permission. I think that''ll ruin the surprise but I don''t know if people still do that these days.

I guess I''ll have to videotape my own proposal lol... First person... Or maybe I could work something out with the D-land people...

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
I think you did fine. If you were comparing similar specs to just the online companies like Blue Nile, it may seem like your paying slightly more. The premium comes in all the additional information that GOG provides on the diamond.

You''ll see countless threads here where people find diamonds with good specs, good HCA scores, but needing idealscope or Aset images for verification. GOG goes the extra mile by providing all this information. And they provide this all on their website for anyone to see. I bought my ring 3 months ago and still browse PS and their website to learn new things. :)

For me, It helps with the peace of mind. I know that I could have gotten a cheaper diamond elsewhere, but not as well cut, as well informed and well serviced.

BTW, on the 2nd diamond, its slightly more expensive because of the higher grade color and because its a branded stone (Isee2). I think performance wise, you''ll be happy with either one.

Good luck with proposal. I know how nerve wracking purchasing the ring, waiting, then proposing can be.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a winner, nothing to worry about. As far as the proposal is concerned it's up to what she prefers. Some want it to be done in private. In a romatic setting. Other's don't mind more of a public proposal. I had a private one, and loved that.. But celebrated with everyone afterwards... Best of both worlds.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price is fine, especially given the excellent information that comes with the stone and the fabulous customer service at GOG. If you wanted a little more umph or to pay a little less, you could very easily drop in clarity or even color a bit and still have basically the same look. Many SI stones are completely eye clean and the G/H range is still very white.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would be horrified if my bf proposed in front of my family. However, I am sure my family still expects him to ask for permission. We kind of messed up on the whole process. When we started looking for a diamond, I told my sisters about it. My sister then told my mom without thinking. My boyfriend was so upset at this whole thing because he didn''t have the chance to talk to his family and my family. We all pretend that no one knows anything now.

I understand your statement about impressing the mom. My mom is a big diamond freak and her initial reaction was - why didn''t you guys come to me .. you guys might have gotten ripped off or gotten a bad diamond. Then she figured out that we need to do our own thing. Plus, I have trusty Pricescope which never fails. You did the right thing coming here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results