shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I looking for too much info?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hughmcg

Rough_Rock
First, thanks to this august group for your insights. This forum is a huge resource. I met with a jeweler Saturday for the second time (Sansom Street in Philly) and I am getting the feeling that I may need to continue my search. He showed us several nice stones that seemed within our search parameters and our budget. I became a bit dubious though, because of the info he did not have (pavilion and crown angles). These seem like pretty important pieces of info to me, but he seemed to wave it off, though he did say he get it for me. Below is the info that I did get:

Size: 1.5 Ct.
Shape: Round
Clarity: VS2
Color: I
Florescence: None
Table: 64%
Crown Height: 13
Crown Angle: n/a
Pavilion Depth: 44
Pavilion Angle: n/a
Girdle: Medium
Total depth: 60.6
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
7.39 x 7.33 x 4.46
Lab: EGL
Cert date: 6/2003

Can anybody gather what might be a fair price range with this info, assuming that the angles mentioned above are within an acceptable range. Am I being too anal to request this info? I am definitely not an expert, but I have done a fair ampount of research. What am I missing? What can I do to make sure that the diamond has not been treated (drilled/lasered/baked, etc)? This and two others were eye clean (all VS2), and in fact, were remarkebly clean under a loupe. Can you shed any light? Thanks so much!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
...that table's rather large. The cert's kinda old. I won't go into the HCA score using the %s. You should def shop somewhere that will give you all the info you request.

If you give us PS'ers your budget & parameters, we could try to help find an ideal cut GIA/AGS RB for you....
1.gif

Something like THIS ONE perhaps? It's a WF ACA 1.54ct I SI1 for $9615 (PS discount) & has all the info you need (WF would def tell you if it's eyeclean if you're worried about an SI1).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see pavilion and crown heights already there.

IMO, those extra numbers would be useful if you would not have the stones at hand. Any information about a diamond can only be a partial description - you have the sum total of them (=the stones) at hand
2.gif

I assume you want the angles to know how these stones compare to some top standard of light return. But any test done with the diamnds at hand would be times more precise and informative.

If you do care about light retrun, than... I really do not think that more precise measurement tha EGL's is going to bring this diamond close to ideal. The HCS says "7.2 - FAIR" - and I woudl think that it is fair to let this one go. It's not the angles that are missing here, but a recut
11.gif

EGL has it's own standard (set of proportions given in terms of crown and pavilion depth) for ideal cut rounds. Does the jeweler have an ideal cut (EGL's or AGS0) for comparison? It may be worth seeing what the respective difference is all about.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Hi Hugh,
If you are planning to buy from a B&M, why not make the small investment to get an Ideal-scope. See the link at the top of PS for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results