shape
carat
color
clarity

After 12 years of Marriage I can finally afford a real ring

opteron

Rough_Rock
Just like the title says after 12 years of marriage, 16 years together. When we got married the ring I gave her was from Zales (yes I know :wall: ) it was about 700 dollars and she proudly wears it to this day. I really didn't have much money and we were in love so the ring was not an issue. She never wanted something big or expensive as she knew I did not make much money(12 years in the Marine Corp), but now that I have the means to afford(civilian now =) ) a nice ring I want to do this right. I've been lurking for the past couple of days looking at the type of diamonds and taking notes.

I want to surprise her on our 13 year anniversary. Which is approaching real fast Feb 2nd, I feel I have started late on the quest for the perfect diamond for my perfect wife. So I guess my question is should I just go with an infinity, ACA or hearts/ arrows diamonds or go through all the 4C's? After looking at some of the reports my brain hurts after a while.

My budget is 17,000 U.S on the diamond from 1.8 to 2.2 carat. I would like to buy a diamond on-line as I feel I can get the best bang for my buck or is it too much to spend online diamond unseen. I feel if I go to a Jeweler I'm going to make a huge mistake and my emtions will get the better part of me committing to a purchase to get over it. :think:

Can't wait to finally give her the ring she has always deserved.

Thanks for listening....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: After 12 years of Marriage I can finally afford a real r

Well, you sound like an awesome husband!!! ACA's and Infinity are outstanding stones. Good Old Gold also carries hearts and arrows stones. I'd look and compare prices and selection between those three. I'll check quick and see what they have.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, WF has several great ones in the 1.8-1.9 range! Here are a few:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3265543.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3265542.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3260775.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3227674.htm

Good Old Gold doesn't have anything in stock in that size/price range.

High Perfomance Diamonds/Infinity had nothing in H-I color, VS2-SI1 in the 1.7-1.99 range, and the 2.03 I VS2 was over $25K. Big price jumps at 2 cts for all diamonds.

So it looks like you're in luck at WhiteFlash because they have a bunch! Here are a few in the $16-17k range (a couple aren't posted above):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3265542,3265543,3265546,3227675,3227674

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an awesome husband you are. You have come to the right place. The PSers here are the best and will help you find an amazing stone and perfect setting. Can't wait to see the end result.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

opteron|1418103017|3798082 said:
... is $17,000 too much to spend online diamond unseen?

No, as long as you stick with the reputable vendors who have a long reputation here on PS.
Many of us have spend much more than that with online diamond vendors with no issues.

The easiest and fastest way to pick a well-cut round is to just pick a branded cut like Crafted by Infinity from Wink Jones, or ACA from Whiteflash, or Signature Series by briangavindiamonds.
Hearts on Fire is another brand that is superb and they do sell through B&M jewelers, but they will be much more expensive.

If you enjoy a diamond safari and want to see if you can get superb cut in a non-branded round (which in theory should cost less than a branded cut) there is an easy two-step process, though it only works for the round shape:
1. HCA https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
2. Idealscope https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Plug 4 numbers (Depth %, Table %, Crown and Pavilion Angles in degrees) from the grading report into the HCA.
Reject rounds scoring over 2.0
Get an Idealscope image on those scoring below 2.0

The Idealscope is necessary because the crown and pavilion angles you got from the report were each actually averages of the 8 angles around the sides of the diamond.
It's possible all 8 of those angles were identical (good) or they varied a great deal (bad) but averaged out to a good number.

An Idealscope pic will reveal such angle wonkyness that is invisible to the HCA.

Compare your idealscope pic to this chart. http://ideal-scope.com/reference-chart-ideal-scope-images/

idealscope_ref_53.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

opteron|1418103017|3798082 said:
So I guess my question is should I just go with an infinity, ACA or hearts/ arrows diamonds or go through all the 4C's?

Even if you pick an Infinity or ACA you STILL have to 'go through two of the 4Cs.
Cut and Cost are settled but color and clarity are not.

You need to get out and discover YOUR color and clarity comfort zones.
Don't let anyone here tell you that you need to agree with THEIR color and clarity grades.

Only look at diamonds graded by GIA or AGS since other labs use bogus grading standards.
For instance the same diamond that EGL graded F VS1 may get grades of H SI2 OR LOWER. :errrr:
Diamonds graded by off-labs seem like a great deal, till you learn their grades are basically lies. :nono:
There are currently lawsuits over this ... Just stick with GIA or AGS.
Only when you can believe the grades can you judge the price.

FWIW, after education I think the largest number of people (peak of the bell curve) is near H I and VS2 SI1 as long as it is eye-clean to the naked eye.
But after education you may not fall in the middle of the bell curve and that's okay.

Good light performance does NOT come from high color and clarity grades; it comes from all the facets being in the right place, aka good cut.

You could put two diamonds with identical weight and cut but very different color and clarity grades side by side and the price difference could be 10 to 1 but they will both look the same to most people.

That's why you really need to discover what color and clarity grades are worth it to YOU!
After this self-education any combination of grades that you prefer ARE perfect for YOU.
A quick look around with a price range of 16,500 to 17,500 found the following top-cut rounds from good PS vendors:

2.33 L SI1
1.90 I VS2
1.55 G VS1
0.95 D IF

If it is going to be a surprise don't let the color get too low.
Most people start to notice body color around H or I.
Many do not want to see much if any body color in their diamond.
Even if they are personally okay with some body color they may not want others calling their diamond 'yellow'.
The people who can go with color grades like K-Z can get huge diamonds for their budget.

Since color and clarity are so important and personal you may want to consider abandoning the surprise element, and letting her decide on her specs.
It's an expensive, important and emotional purchase that she's going to be looking at for a long time.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck with your search for a very thoughtful present, your wife is a very lucky lady indeed.

I personally would opt for a vendor where I can purchase the stone as well as the setting, WF, GOG, JA and BDG would be my go-to online vendors, and believe the deadline is doable with them.

Just out of interest, what sort of setting do you have in mind?

DK :))

opteron

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone! I will be looking over the suggestions that you have posted.

I plan on putting the diamond on a 100 or 200 dolllar ring. Then let her select the setting she likesi expect to spend 3000-4500 on it. I will report back onwhat I have slected.

Again thanks everyone

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an awesome husband! Happy anniversary!!!!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

opteron

Rough_Rock

Thanks for everyone helps....It was the best feeling.....She's having a hard time picking the setting. Tacori seems to be poplular. I love it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Love this story…. So glad she loved the stone:)
Have her check Brilliantly Engaged (formerly ERD). I had them do my reset (solitaire to a halo) and they did a fabulous job. Pricing is reasonable (lots of bang for your buck), quality good, and excellent customer service. Lots of ladies here on PS have had good experiences with them. Keep us posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results