shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on princess cut for newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluehouse

Rough_Rock
This is my first post - I already am nervous and have buyer''s remorse and I haven''t bought anything.

At a B&M store the princess cuts I liked had thick girdles (slightly thick to very thick on the GIA report). The salesperson told me thick girdles are more common on princess cuts and not as much of a problem on princess cuts as rounds. Is this totally wrong?

Also - it seems that the princess cuts that I liked had higher crowns - and the depth% is higher than some tables i''ve seen for ideal cuts. That same table said that if the girdle is very thick it is a 3a cut far from ideal.

I do not feel comfortable buying online because I''ve seen a lot I didn''t like that had good stats. Here is the info. on the stone I like... Unfortunately all I have is the GIA cert so not all the info. to post but it shines. Let me know what you think and any advice.

Princess
5.43 x 5.25 x 4.02
1.01 ct
Si1
F
76.6% depth
71% table
slight thick to very thick girdle
culet none
excellent polish
good symmetry
fluorescence none

$4600

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to ps!! you have to watch out for that "haven''t bought anything yet" buyers remorse. it can keep you from finding something really good! and, it sounds like you have found a diamond that you really like. that is the most important step in the whole process. you said it yourself, there are some stones with nice #''s, that just don''t look good. if this diamond looks good in your eyes, then it is definitely worth buying. as far as thick girdles, princess cuts are cut for weight, and do tend to be on the thick side. this is not always bad, as you get some added "protection" on those long edges. all in all, it sounds good! i hope you buy it, without remorse!!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with thick girdles is that you pay for weight that you can''t see. It makes a stone look small for its weight. This of course is not a "problem" for the vendor selling the stone.

Thin CAN get to be a problem at the princess''s corner points when setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results