shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Birk's

blueiscool

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

A bit of a lurker here. Anyways, it's my turn to go shopping, and I'm well aware of the advice that's been given about Birk's. Having said that, I've scoped out:

Round-cut 'Excellent' on Nordic Light 1.03ct H SI2 for a total of 13.3K CDN (w tax) (with 600$ value pearl earrings thrown in but i'm not letting this sway me). Depth 61.3 Table 58% Crown 33.5o PavDepth 43.5% no cutlet

I put the measurements into the HCA tool (scores 1.5), and then found similar cuts on both BlueNile and WhiteFlash (came out to their Ideals). HOWEVER, my gf lovvvess the NRDL setting and we've gone through both WF and BN and have not found anything remotely as attractive.

Pricing them out with conversion to CDN and taxes, comes out to ~11-11.5K CDN on WF and BN. On top of that, shortly after I put the deposit on the Birk's ring, the prices went up! by 800-1000, but they'll honour the original price. They told me other jewelers (BenMoss, People's Cartier etc had all recently increased) their prices too, so surely this should factor into my decision?

So my question is, is the Birk's name worth the 1.5-2k, plus with recent price changes, possibly less than that?

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fellow Canadian here. Is this the setting from Birks?

http://www.maisonbirks.com/en/bague-de-fiancailles-a-diamant-solitaire-birks-nordic-light-2992

If yes, then I think Simon G has something very similar. Whiteflash carries Simon G.
http://www.simongjewelry.com/product/mr1511-engagement-ring/

It seems that your girlfriend likes the 4 prongs set in cardinal directions.

Remember that you can order any settings from the designers that Whiteflash carries, you're not just limited to the ones on The Whiteflash website.
Good luck whatever you decide!

blueiscool

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply!

The one you linked, similar to many of the BN/WFs, has a bar holding the prongs together. the birk's setting is great for showcasing the entire stone. as well, the birk's setting has a nice rounded ring, but the BN ones literally ALL have square-y rings, what gives?

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is very simple.

You could probably buy the diamond from Whiteflash of one of the other PS vendores, and get the setting custom designed by whiteflash, or a local jeweller.

I have a feeling that that route would save you money or allow you to get something bigger. Better quality is almost assured as well.

If you are in the GTA, US Certed in located just north of the City, and he has helped many here (including me). That is another option as well. Calling is best, because he's not that great with emails.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results