shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a OMB Cushion

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am using one of the sponsors here and they have found an OMB stone that is 2.17 carat, F color, VS1 clarity, very good polish and symmetry, table of 52%, depth of 68% and a very small/no culet

I was under the impression that all of the OMBs have culets, but this one appears minimal at best from the GIA. I don't have photos yet, but wanted folks' opinions on if this is normal for OMBs not to have a culet?

I don't want a large culet, so this seems like a really good stone to me (obviously i need to see it in person still for fire and brilliance etc)

Any informed opinions are appreciated!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cushion Novice|1297136632|2846244 said:
Hi

I am using one of the sponsors here and they have found an OMB stone that is 2.17 carat, F color, VS1 clarity, very good polish and symmetry, table of 52%, depth of 68% and a very small/no culet

I was under the impression that all of the OMBs have culets, but this one appears minimal at best from the GIA. I don't have photos yet, but wanted folks' opinions on if this is normal for OMBs not to have a culet?

I don't want a large culet, so this seems like a really good stone to me (obviously i need to see it in person still for fire and brilliance etc)

Any informed opinions are appreciated!

With no culet it may not get the OMB designation but simply the cushion one. Depth/table sound right for the OMB but is inconclusive data. General photography at best will be able to show you facet structure but not how it will appear in everyday lighting environments.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
Rhino, thanks a ton. I have learned so much from your site and your videos! I wish I had more time to find the perfect AVC, but alas my timing and the waitlist make it impossible. The GIA certificate actually shows this as an OMB, hence my confusion bc I though all OMBs had culets. I need to see it in person to see if it has the fire and brilliance your videos and software show so well!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushion Novice|1297138818|2846277 said:
Rhino, thanks a ton. I have learned so much from your site and your videos! I wish I had more time to find the perfect AVC, but alas my timing and the waitlist make it impossible. The GIA certificate actually shows this as an OMB, hence my confusion bc I though all OMBs had culets. I need to see it in person to see if it has the fire and brilliance your videos and software show so well!
ALL stones have culets... some are just pointed.

There are a few criteria that designate an OMB and it's possible that the stone you're looking at met everything else so they let that one criteria slide. I don't know how they decide these things but maybe they said okay it hit 4/5 markers... based on depth, crown etc. My stone is an OMB with a "very large" culet that I can barely see... who knows what they're thinking lol

Malta

Rough_Rock
What does OMB stand for, and while we're at it what does OMC or OEC stand for? is this acronym for older cuts?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Malta,

OMB= Old Mine Brilliant

OMC= Old Mine Cut

OEC= Old European cut. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And yes, they are old cuts. Some are actually antique stones and some are being newly cut today. The OP referred to the AVC's that Good Old Gold is having cut for both the beauty of the old cut and excellent light performance.

AVC= August Vintage Cushion

AV rounds= newly cut August Vintage OEC's

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cehrabehra|1297154668|2846426 said:
Cushion Novice|1297138818|2846277 said:
ALL stones have culets... some are just pointed.
There are a few criteria that designate an OMB and it's possible that the stone you're looking at met everything else so they let that one criteria slide. I don't know how they decide these things but maybe they said okay it hit 4/5 markers... based on depth, crown etc. My stone is an OMB with a "very large" culet that I can barely see... who knows what they're thinking lol

LOL ... no silly. When the culet is pointed that means there is no culet. No culet = none. :bigsmile: So not all diamonds have culets.

Malta

Rough_Rock
Dani|1297166700|2846459 said:
Malta,

OMB= Old Mine Brilliant

OMC= Old Mine Cut

ok great, and what exactly is the difference in the cut between all of these and how does it reflect in the way that the diamonds look or sparkles? Is there a comparison shot at all? Also how does one go about acquiring one of these? I'm assuming that they are not H&A or RB, because those would be completely other cuts, correct?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Malta|1297185894|2846653 said:
Dani|1297166700|2846459 said:
Malta,

OMB= Old Mine Brilliant

OMC= Old Mine Cut

ok great, and what exactly is the difference in the cut between all of these and how does it reflect in the way that the diamonds look or sparkles? Is there a comparison shot at all? Also how does one go about acquiring one of these? I'm assuming that they are not H&A or RB, because those would be completely other cuts, correct?

They are completely different than modern rounds.

OMB, OMC and OEC's ... the real Mccoy's are antiques which you can only get in antique jewelry. Myself and a number of other vendors mentioned here carry genuine antiques that feature original OMB/OMC and OEC's.

In today's vernacular however there is a small handful of cutting facilities that continue to cut the vintage styled cushion & round variety (which we also supply and have access to). Even though they are not genuine antiques they still maintain the original designation of OMB, OMC and OEC because their facet structure is the same.

I have videos which compare modern cushions to vintage cushions. Generic vintage cushions to August Vintage cushions, modern rounds as compared to OEC's etc. which can help you better understand and see the differences.

Regards,

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
Guys,

Here is the photo of the F color, 2.16 carat, VS1, OMB, small culet (even though the GIA says there is no culet). I really like this one as opposed to the 2.22 carat, F color, VS1, OMB, large culet i have also posted below -- you can see the black spot very clearly.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Let me know your opinions -- thanks!

2.16 F VS1-CUSHION-SIDE.JPG

2.16 F VS1-CUSHION.JPG

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
just aesthetically I LOVE the top one. The shape and faceting looks so gorgeous to my non-professional cushion lovin' eye

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second one better. :)

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I like the first stone better too. It looks softer and more "pillow-y". I like the faceting on that one more too.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE them both!!! I don't think you can go wrong with either. But what do you mean you can see the "black spot" in the 2nd diamond? I don't see a black spot...

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
I just meant the culet is larger so you can see through the diamond more...but yes, both are beautiful F color, VS1 stones with that vntage, cushiony cut!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion Novice|1297207609|2846956 said:
I just meant the culet is larger so you can see through the diamond more...but yes, both are beautiful F color, VS1 stones with that vntage, cushiony cut!
Oh. The culet on the first stone looks larger to me. Longer anyways. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I love LARGE culets on these cuts since that's how they used to be cut. Either way, these are both gorgeous stones! :love:

What are the mm measurements of each? Since I think they're both equally lovely, I'd choose the one that faces up larger. Unless you like a more square cushion which the first is of course. Hard decision!

ETA to correct my spelling of culet.. we're not talking about a slice of veal here... must be dinner time.

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
The first one is a 2.16 carat, F color, VS1, very good polish, very good symmetry and a table of 52% and a depth of 68%

The second one is a 2.22 carat, F color, VS1, very good polish, very good symmetry and a table of 55% and a depth of 68%

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion Novice|1297209113|2846979 said:
The first one is a 2.16 carat, F color, VS1, very good polish, very good symmetry and a table of 52% and a depth of 68%

The second one is a 2.22 carat, F color, VS1, very good polish, very good symmetry and a table of 55% and a depth of 68%

I'm sorry- I meant what are the measurements in millimeters on the GIA cert for each one-- ex: 7mm x 6.5mm

The size of the culets don't seem drastically different, or super large, to me (maybe on these super blown up pics but I doubt it in real life) so if it were me, I'd pick the stone that looked bigger based on the measurements, not carat weight.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion Novice|1297210191|2846999 said:
The 2.16 is almost a perfect square at 7.46x7.45x5.09mm

The 2.22 is 7.58x7.44x5.08
Pretty close in size. Makes the decision too hard- get them both! :naughty: :bigsmile:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Contary to what I would like based on numbers, I actually like the 2.22 ct better. The culet is not small on the first diamond. I would think it is large and larger than the second diamond. It also appears larger than the culet on my AVC and mine is rated slightly large.

You will find that once your diamond is set .. the culet is barely noticeable.

Cushion Novice

Rough_Rock
It's unreal how difficult it is to tell from the certificate considering the certificate says there is no culet and theN I spoke to the jeweler and he said it's a small culet. So frustrating! Anyway I'm having both sent to me to see in person. I wish I had one of you experts with me to navigate!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results