shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice! Custom Ring, Fancy Blue vs Light Fancy Blue

burgerparty

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am in the middle of designing a custom ring with a friend of mine (his family is in the jewelry business)

I just wanted to get some thought from outsiders about what you all think of the ring / if you see any issues with the stone colors.

I personally like the ring, but i'm worried that she won't and was wondering what random people on the internet think too...

So I went with a .9 'super' ideal (I know.) ct, E color, VVS1 for the main stone, but the accent stones are currently going to be a lab grown fancy light blue diamond. I'm thinking about trying to get them as fancy lab grown blue.

What do you think?

other_2.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Welcome!

Is this going to be a right hand ring or engagement ring?

burgerparty

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I have been a lurker on this sit e for almost a year now but finally had something to contribute!

To answer your question it is an engagement ring

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
burgerparty|1400155924|3673369 said:
Thanks! I have been a lurker on this sit e for almost a year now but finally had something to contribute!

It's a pretty setting and I love the idea for the stones.
I recently had my diamond set in a bypass setting and my only problem with it is that it doesn't work with my "straight across" rings so I will have to have a custom wedding ring made.
But...that's even more design fun =)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burgerparty|1400131667|3673246 said:
I personally like the ring, but i'm worried that she won't and was wondering what random people on the internet think too...
What makes you think she won't? It doesn't matter what others think; the most important thing is what SHE thinks. Have you sussed out her ring preference?

burgerparty

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1400156864|3673378 said:
burgerparty|1400155924|3673369 said:

It's a pretty setting and I love the idea for the stones.
I recently had my diamond set in a bypass setting and my only problem with it is that it doesn't work with my "straight across" rings so I will have to have a custom wedding ring made.
But...that's even more design fun =)

I really love the custom design process so far. I had this idea quite a while ago, the ring is really a mash up of a few different rings that I've seen over the past year that I really liked.

In fact I've liked the process so much when it comes to get a wedding band I'm planning to have it custom as well! haha

burgerparty

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1400158244|3673388 said:
burgerparty|1400131667|3673246 said:
What makes you think she won't? It doesn't matter what others think; the most important thing is what SHE thinks. Have you sussed out her ring preference?

Just that little thought in the back of my mind. I'm actually pretty in tune with what she likes, but this is quite different than anything she has seen. I wanted to make sure the ring itself if a surprise.

However, I don't really wear a ring, so I'm not sure if this ring will be 'comfortable' or if she'll be annoyed wearing it, or if there is some weird asymmetry that I'm just not seeing that will bother me. I guess i'm probably just being paranoid, but dropping the amount of cash on it I am, I think I should be.

Also, I'm really looking for insight on the blue diamond color (fancy vs light fancy) I just want to make sure that they are visibly blue and pictures I have seen (not many places ever have real blue diamonds so I haven't seen them in person) don't make it easy to tell how well it will show up on a ring, especially when they are accents. The accents are only about .025ct.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy blue and light fancy blue are extremely pale and only show up when there is contrast colour next to them.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Since the accent stones will be round, between the choices of fancy light blue and fancy blue, I would pick fancy blue because fancy light might be hard to see the color. Fancy colored rounds generally tend to look lighter overall than fancy shape counterparts.

Kroshka

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I think people are nervous to reply as this is a rather untraditional ring style and since
this is quite different than anything she has seen
and she hasn't shown a distinct preference for this.

The way that the side diamonds are organized draws my eye away from the center stone and them being a different color might contribute to this more. I'm going to post some links with some more organized flow that draws my eye towards the center stone.

This is my favorite of the bunch:
http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=74138
It has some swirls which are to me tasteful, still draw my eye towards the stone. This is to me a forever setting.

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=83986

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=56364

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=84591

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be honest, I don't like it for an engagement ring. As a RHR , maybe.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starrylight|1400170754|3673520 said:
I think people are nervous to reply as this is a rather untraditional ring style and since
this is quite different than anything she has seen
and she hasn't shown a distinct preference for this.

The way that the side diamonds are organized draws my eye away from the center stone and them being a different color might contribute to this more. I'm going to post some links with some more organized flow that draws my eye towards the center stone.

This is my favorite of the bunch:
http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=74138
It has some swirls which are to me tasteful, still draw my eye towards the stone. This is to me a forever setting.

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=83986

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=56364

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=84591

Exactly this! I am not looking at the center. The asymmetry of the side stones distracts me and I'm not focused on the center. Maybe that is ok with you right? Just of my pref for an ering. Like aprilbaby said, cool for RHR.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did she tell you she wanted something unique, outside the box, unlike anything she's ever seen before? This is a VERY RISKY surprise ring. I personally do not care for it at all and would be extremely upset if DH had given this to me. However, if she has expressly, clearly and directly told you she wants a ring in this style (or something untraditional) then I would use blue sapphires so you can really see the blue.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know. My eyes are actually drawn to the very outside stones instead of the center stone. Even if she likes different/not the norm rings, does she want that different/not the norm for her engagement ring?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for opinions from others who are not like your GF? This is so out of the box to me that there isnt even a box in
the picture! BUT...ITS NOT FOR ME!!! I dont have to like it....your GF does. I think this is very risky if she hasnt shown interest
in an engagement ring like this.

Just trying to look at it from a more objective point of view, I dont like the kinks in the shank. I would get rid of those and just
have the shank be asymmetric. I'm curious what your GF is like? What kind of clothes/jewelry does she wear? What kind of
furniture does she like. Is she unique in her thinking? Is she artsy? Just trying to get a feel for what she is like so we can possibly
make some suggestions.

Do the sides of the ring represent something? Tree branch, etc? Take this with a grain of salt because I live in Florida and we
have those little frogs with sticky pads on their toes. That's what the sides remind me of. So honestly, in my demented way
of thinking the sides look like frogs feet to me (albeit cute frogs). I know no one else in their right might would see frogs toes :oops: .

So tell us some more about your GF. We cant really say much without knowing what she is like.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock
Really hard to say, without knowing if your GF has indicated that she wants something very different. Do you have any pictures of the kinds of rings she currently wears?

The design aside, personally, I'd prefer the sidetones to be natural sapphires, than lab grown blues, but that's just me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I tend to agree with some of the others. The style/design is very different, so unless she's specifically asked for the actual design AND the blue stones, I wouldn't risk it. Personally, I would be disappointed with a ring that had blue stones because it's just not my thing (and I would also prefer natural sapphires over lab grown blues), but if it's something that she's requested, then it sounds like you're at least on the right track (assuming the she has also expressed interest in a unique setting).

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I just went back and read all the other comments. I guess I am not alone. I am also not a fan of blue and if I were I'd want it to be natural not lab grown. So Unless you know her style really well. and its her taste and she is an out of the box thinker I personally don't care for it at all. I rather give my HO then sugar coat it. She will be wearing this ring forever. Maybe for a right hand ring but not for my Ering.

While we are bashing you, and I am really sorry we are diamond ring enthusiasts. I would prefer a full arat G-H color super ideal cut eye clean si1......It is not necessary to spend the extra $$$$ on E VVS.....

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
I thought this CAD was a joke. this ring does not look good at all

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nimmy7|1400210046|3673899 said:
I thought this CAD was a joke.
The OP is here asking for help with his design. Do you have any suggestions?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I like about this design is the use of blue diamonds, there is just too much going on with the design for me. It honestly reminds me of tree branches and looks like it might be uncomfortable to wear. :???:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burgerparty|1400163881|3673441 said:
However, I don't really wear a ring, so I'm not sure if this ring will be 'comfortable' or if she'll be annoyed wearing it, or if there is some weird asymmetry that I'm just not seeing that will bother me. I guess i'm probably just being paranoid, but dropping the amount of cash on it I am, I think I should be.

Also, I'm really looking for insight on the blue diamond color (fancy vs light fancy) I just want to make sure that they are visibly blue and pictures I have seen (not many places ever have real blue diamonds so I haven't seen them in person) don't make it easy to tell how well it will show up on a ring, especially when they are accents. The accents are only about .025ct.

I am cautious in interpreting his post so I would play it safe and only comment specifically on the diamonds. My personal preference is for natural (and untreated if at all possible) gemstones so I would not go the synthetic diamond route. Instead I would either go with untreated blue diamonds or light coloured blue sapphires.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1400236152|3674001 said:
nimmy7|1400210046|3673899 said:
I thought this CAD was a joke.
The OP is here asking for help with his design. Do you have any suggestions?

I agree - there's no need to get nasty.
OP, if you are still around, perhaps you could speak to some of the comments about whether or not she has expressed interest in blues and/or a unique design? That would really help in adding some clarity to the issue so that members can respond appropriately. The obvious concern is that this is a ring that she will wear daily for the rest of your lives, so you want to ensure that you're meeting her needs/wants. If she's asked for a unique setting, then it seems you're on the right path and the same holds true for the blue stones (if she's specifically asked for them in her E-ring). The other issues would be lab grown vs. natural - my personal preference would be any natural stones (even sapphires) over lab grown blue diamonds. The other thing to think about is the specs on your center stone. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the E/VVS - you can get a fabulous stone by compromising a little bit on color/clarity and the educated folks here on PS can point you in the right direction.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you asked about the blue diamonds and nothing else I would say if there is going to be blue it better be visibly blue. With that said I would also prefer a naturally blue gemstone like a sapphire to a lab grown blue diamond any day.

burgerparty

Rough_Rock
OP, if you are still around, perhaps you could speak to some of the comments about whether or not she has expressed interest in blues and/or a unique design? That would really help in adding some clarity to the issue so that members can respond appropriately. The obvious concern is that this is a ring that she will wear daily for the rest of your lives, so you want to ensure that you're meeting her needs/wants. If she's asked for a unique setting, then it seems you're on the right path and the same holds true for the blue stones (if she's specifically asked for them in her E-ring). The other issues would be lab grown vs. natural - my personal preference would be any natural stones (even sapphires) over lab grown blue diamonds. The other thing to think about is the specs on your center stone. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the E/VVS - you can get a fabulous stone by compromising a little bit on color/clarity and the educated folks here on PS can point you in the right direction.[/quote]

I am still around, had to go to bed eventually.

She did ask for a unique setting, and in response to another poster, the ring is made to look like branches - so that was kinda the point, haha.

The branches are there for her namesake, her name literally means A rock between two trees (go figure). I really want to keep the 'theme' of the ring. The other rings which were presented i've seen before and decided against (gave them good thought though), as they didn't convey the message as strongly as I wanted. The metal will be brushed down as well, so it won't seem as oppressive around the stones, the extra metal is shown because this is the CAD which will be used to create the wax mold. I am worried it still might be too thick, I'm looking into that.

She is a bit nervous of losing her culture more and more as she gets older and particularly now that she wants to get married. This is a way to tie her culture back into our wedding and is something I know will be very meaningful to her as we roam around the world.

The sapphires are a good idea, to be honest I hadn't given much thought to them.I wanted a icy blue, so blue diamonds came to mind, I will have to look into them. Neither I or my SO has qualms with lab made stones, I actually prefer them in some cases.

I got the center stone at a good price, it's an equivalent stone to many stones of lesser characteristics so I didn't stand to save much by dropping to a lower quality stone.

I really appreciate the feedback people are giving though~! I posted this to several sites to see what people's feelings are and I've gotten a VERY wide range of responses.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless she has shown you rings similar to this, this could be a disaster. I would hate it as an e-ring and don't particularly like it for a right hand ring, to be perfectly honest.

I have seen this happen over the years where a guy wants to create an original design, but it is HIS taste and not hers. She is the one who will be wearing the ring for hopefully the rest of her life, and you need to know what SHE likes!!

Trust me, if I haven't ever seen anything like it, I probably do NOT want it! Most women WILL have preferences!

Just in case we can't talk you out of it, I do recommend sapphires over fake diamonds for the blue stones.

Also, PLEASE make the shank a regular round shank!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The sentiment is great but the shank might be uncomfortable for the wearer. Can you have a ring, minus diamonds, cast in silver and give it to her as a birthday present and suss out her preference? At least you will know how she likes branch shank.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're sticking to the theme of leaves and branches, consider at least making the design symmetrical on both sides of the center stone. At least that way it will not be as distracting. If you are looking at a floral motif, consider Beverly k for inspiration. Her designs incorporate lots of flowers and leaves and is less distracting. The way it stands now, it does not seem to have a focus or a cohesive look. I do think you will want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results