shape
carat
color
clarity

Adding VERY fine milgrain... can anyone recommend a vendor?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I've been on a quest for an eternity band just like my original 1/2 eternity for over a year now. The original vendor assured me they could replicate it, but after 3 attempts of what they assured me was "just like your ring", and each looking less and less like the original, I gave up. :| Since then I've looked at a ton of local jewelers and countless online vendors in search of my "holy grail" of milgrain detail. Why is this so difficult?? {le sigh} :blackeye:

I did find an etsy vendor who had very reasonable prices, super nice diamonds, and great workmanship -- I just wasn't crazy about his milgrain. It wasn't bad, just not like the one I have now... I went ahead and purchased the eternity.

That said, can anyone recommend a vendor to add milgrain to a bezeled eternity after the fact. Is this even possible? Does it turn out as nice as if it were put on while being made? It's not the absolute end of the world if I were to wear it without milgrain, but I do prefer it if it can be done like my old band... so I thought I'd at least ask. :halo:

I've seen Beverly K, and although pretty, the milgrain isn't the same... I've also considered CVB or LAD, but wanted to get some more opinions before officially speaking with either one. I guess I'm just anxious about being told "oh yeah, we can totally do that -- and then being stuck with something... else." :|

I like extremely fine "beaded" milgrain like in my band below. I'm not at all opposed to shipping my original band for them to look at to ensure it could be done -- and no hard feelings if they feel they couldn't replicate it. :)) These aren't the most wonderful photos for detail, but I can always take some better ones if needed...

(sapphire ring: same vendor, same type of milgrain -- but couldn't reproduce it... what??!! :wall: )
pharmacy.jpgwedding.png

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Adding VERY fine milgrain... can anyone recommend a vend

I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLJokUV7Po

and all the stones are in that ring already.

Have you thought about Victor Canera? I've never seen any of his work in person, but the workmanship in photos is amazing.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen lots of beautiful milgrain example pics by David Klass. I am planning to have him work on a project for me that will involve a fair amount of fine milgrain. He has a Facebook page. Just know that he mentioned in an email to me that he would be out of town a few weeks in early august if you try to connect with him.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about Julia B on Etsy? I was very pleased by the milgrain work on the ring she made recently for me. She does custom work and can work in gold and platinum.

oecspinelring1.jpg

spinel_side3.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

texaskj|1406508352|3721691 said:
I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLJokUV7Po

and all the stones are in that ring already.

Have you thought about Victor Canera? I've never seen any of his work in person, but the workmanship in photos is amazing.

I agree... VC's milgrain looks very nice -- I'm not sure he would simply do the milgrain on a piece that's not his, but I will definitely keep him in mind. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1406512585|3721715 said:
How about Julia B on Etsy? I was very pleased by the milgrain work on the ring she made recently for me. She does custom work and can work in gold and platinum.

oecspinelring1.jpg

spinel_side3.jpg

I have looked at a lot of Julia B's pieces. Her milgrain is nice, but I wasn't able to find any pieces that had milgrain as fine as what is on my ring -- if you have seen any, please post! Thanks for the response! :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thing I found about Julia B is that her vendor photos are frankly not that great. But it's a good thing because I was sooo pleasantly surprised when I received my ring.. her photos did not do justice at all to the level of detail in the bezel and milgrain.

I realize it doesn't answer your question about whether Julia could create the detailed milgrain that you want, but I would suggest you not to discount her solely based on her photos. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1406514084|3721730 said:
The thing I found about Julia B is that her vendor photos are frankly not that great. But it's a good thing because I was sooo pleasantly surprised when I received my ring.. her photos did not do justice at all to the level of detail in the bezel and milgrain.

I realize it doesn't answer your question about whether Julia could create the detailed milgrain that you want, but I would suggest you not to discount her solely based on her photos. :)

Thanks for the info, mochiko42! :wavey:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Great topping - I am really curious to see any responses. My vintage transitional ring millgrain is incredibly fine and I've been wondering whether it's possible to replicate. The Julia B ring, although lovely is not comparable to the OP's sample in my opinion.

_20777.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

quaddio|1406555394|3721902 said:
Great topping - I am really curious to see any responses. My vintage transitional ring millgrain is incredibly fine and I've been wondering whether it's possible to replicate. The Julia B ring, although lovely is not comparable to the OP's sample in my opinion.

Yes!! This ring has the same type of milgrain -- teeny-tiny, perfectly beaded and just on the very outer edge, no where close to the stones... Do you know who made the ring, quaddio?? It's really nice!! :love: :love:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

msop04 said:

Yes!! This ring has the same type of milgrain -- teeny-tiny, perfectly beaded and just on the very outer edge, no where close to the stones... Do you know who made the ring, quaddio?? It's really nice!! :love: :love:

Your sapphire band in particular has the same look. I would have no way to find out who made my ring as it's a true original. There's a name for the style of setting I can't recall. The stones are bead set inside a 'picture frame' which is square in the case of mine and marquise for your sapphires. Are your rings antique?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FWIW, both of my bands posted above were inexpensive and made in the past 3 years. Both were cast. When I asked my jeweler why the the original vendor couldn't seem to replicate his own piece, she said that "their machine must be calibrated differently than when yours were made..." -- ummm, what?? :confused: :eh: So, does that mean it's possible for milgrain to be added by a machine (and not with a tool by hand)?? The vendor's milgrain was so vastly different (big and sloppy) when making each eternity that it makes me wonder what in the world could have happened. I also have a sapphire eternity from JewelerUSA on ebay that has nice milgrain...

imag0055-2.jpgsapphire_diamond_deco_band_0.jpg

Maybe someone who is privy to the different types of milgrain and the tools needed for each one will chime in... Vendors??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

quaddio|1406558063|3721922 said:
msop04 said:

Your sapphire band in particular has the same look. I would have no way to find out who made my ring as it's a true original. There's a name for the style of setting I can't recall. The stones are bead set inside a 'picture frame' which is square in the case of mine and marquise for your sapphires. Are your rings antique?

They aren't antique, and honestly, are probably not the greatest quality I'm sure (with the exception of the milgrain...) :bigsmile:
The main thing I notice about our rings is that the milgrain is just on the edge, and you can still see some metal around the stone... other milgrain styles have it right next to the stones, KWIM??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Warning: this will not be helpful.

You and Q's millgraining reminde of those 3D snap bracelets and rulers we used to have in the 80s. Itty bitty ridges you could run your nail on to make a high pitch noise.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1406565091|3721967 said:
Warning: this will not be helpful.

You and Q's millgraining reminde of those 3D snap bracelets and rulers we used to have in the 80s. Itty bitty ridges you could run your nail on to make a high pitch noise.

SHUT IT, NIEL!! :lol: :lol: I had a ton of those bracelets... :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Quest did the milgrain on my bezel solitaire with milgrain only on the inner portion of the bezel.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1406567268|3721982 said:
Quest did the milgrain on my bezel solitaire with milgrain only on the inner portion of the bezel.

Chrono, would you post a photo of your solitaire? If they can do it on the inside, I'm sure they can do it on the outside "lip" as well. Thanks! :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's barely there; I have to peer at it very closely to see the milgrain.

_20784.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1406568531|3721996 said:
It's barely there; I have to peer at it very closely to see the milgrain.

That's really nice milgrain, and your ring is gorgeous! I love how it's on the inside and you can see the bezel with high polish -- beautiful! My stones are very tiny, so I don't think I could have them do it exactly like that, but the type of milgrain is extremely similar -- I will follow up on this for sure. Thanks for posting! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bump...

redroze1

Shiny_Rock

David Klass did a ring for me based on yours. I asked him to do the milgrain finer (first round wasn't fine enough) and he was able to match the look of yours.

image_3374.jpg
image_3356.jpg

frugalfw

Rough_Rock

msop04|1406495746|3721604 said:

MSOP4 -- sorry to highjack your thread, but just have to tell you that your rings are BEAUTIFUL! :angel: If you don't mind, could you please share who made/designed your halo/triple shank ring? Also, do you happen to have a picture from the side, showing the basket?

I am also curious if you have run into any problems with diamond loss on the halo (particularly on the side). I absolutely LOVE, love, love the look of this double layer of halo diamonds on the edge, but am a little afraid of it for myself as I can be so hard on jewelry!

Thanks so much ahead of time for your help and insight!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ask David Klass for the finer milligrain show him pics and explain what you want or again show pics and ask Grace's bench both have people that I think could do what you want.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redroze1|1441640819|3924594 said:
David Klass did a ring for me based on yours. I asked him to do the milgrain finer (first round wasn't fine enough) and he was able to match the look of yours.

image_3374.jpg
image_3356.jpg

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this... Thanks, redroze! :)) That's amazing how DK made the exact ring! :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

frugalfw|1442093712|3926978 said:
msop04|1406495746|3721604 said:

MSOP4 -- sorry to highjack your thread, but just have to tell you that your rings are BEAUTIFUL! :angel: If you don't mind, could you please share who made/designed your halo/triple shank ring? Also, do you happen to have a picture from the side, showing the basket?

I am also curious if you have run into any problems with diamond loss on the halo (particularly on the side). I absolutely LOVE, love, love the look of this double layer of halo diamonds on the edge, but am a little afraid of it for myself as I can be so hard on jewelry!

Thanks so much ahead of time for your help and insight!

Thanks so much, frugalfw! I'm actually selling my setting (and possibly the bands as well)... You should check out my listing on LT! https://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/reduced-christopher-designs-custom-halo

...and to answer your questions, I haven't had any issues with prongs getting loose or stones coming out. The ring was made by Christopher Designs and is a custom piece. If you look on the LT pics, I've got some basket shots. 8)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1442115722|3927073 said:
Ask David Klass for the finer milligrain show him pics and explain what you want or again show pics and ask Grace's bench both have people that I think could do what you want.

Thanks arkie! (sorry for the super late response, as I just now saw this...) -- I am probably going with Caysie (CVB) to do my setting, so I will probably have her do the milgrain on my eternity as well. :wavey:

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

another vote for DK, i asked for superfine millgrain & its perfect

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

puppyguts|1457223344|4000340 said:
another vote for DK, i asked for superfine millgrain & its perfect

Thanks puppy! I'd love to see pics! :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results