shape
carat
color
clarity

91-facet cut vs. "white-star" 93-facet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gem-newbie

Rough_Rock
What is the difference? I was posting last week about the new "white-star" diamond that my fiance and I saw at Whitehall Jewelers. It is "supposedly" their stone and is "beautifully cut" with 93 facets.

Now I was just browsing the board and saw that there is a new stone coming with 91 facets.

What is the difference? And why were some people "dissing" the 93-facet stone but are excited about the 91-facet stone?

I''m confused.

And...a couple of people mentioned in the string of posts I started about the white-star diamond that they would like to go and take a look at that stone at Whitehall. Did anyone get a chance to do that?

I''m learning but am still a "newbie" so I look forward to any responses/explations you guys can give me!
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I diss it because its a maul store and I pretty much figure its poor quality when its in a mall. Part of what you will run into buying that from them is that you wwill get jacked on price because they claim its theirs alone. I think that's a big big bad factor where they get you. Their products are already priced 3x too high and this "premium" branded cut they have is going to be even higher.

I have a 128 facet stone, it preforms SO well, and I paid barely 5% premium for it. I hear that 91 facet that is coming out is supposedly even better than MINE which I cannot even WAIT to see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that more facets or less facets will make a diamond more or less beautiful. It is how the facets are done, meaning CUT. If the diamond is well cut, whether it has 58, 91, 93 or 128 facets, they will all be beautiful. If the diamond is badly cut, it will not sparkle.

gem-newbie

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/20/2004 2:33:50 PM chrono wrote:

I don't think that more facets or less facets will make a diamond more or less beautiful. It is how the facets are done, meaning CUT. If the diamond is well cut, whether it has 58, 91, 93 or 128 facets, they will all be beautiful. If the diamond is badly cut, it will not sparkle.----------------

Chrono-
So...this particular jewelry chain could possibly be trying to pass this off as a better diamond just because it has more facets. And, depending on how it's cut, it could be a nice stone...or it could be crap. Right?

And I get what ame said above about the higher prices. My fiance and I got a lot of info from you guys, and this site, and he is now the one who is loaded with the info and looking for "the ring". I just thought I'd ask about the difference when I saw that everyone was excited about this new 91 facet stone that will be coming out. (And I'm still learning about all this stuff!)

Thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 9/20/2004 2:33:50 PM chrono wrote:

I don't think that more facets or less facets will make a diamond more or less beautiful. It is how the facets are done, meaning CUT. If the diamond is well cut, whether it has 58, 91, 93 or 128 facets, they will all be beautiful. If the diamond is badly cut, it will not sparkle.
----------------

Correct. I'm not dissing the 93 facet stone becuase I've never seen it. I have seen the 91 facet however and know these guys are doing one of the most incredible jobs I've ever seen done with a modified round if not the most extreme job I've yet to witness in a round brilliant cut.

Let me clarify. The number of facets doesn't impress me as much as *how they angle and position those facets*. I've seen modified rounds (more than 57 facets) that were outright dogs and I've witnessed 2, out of the many I've seen (within the last 3 months) that seriously caught my attention, not because of the fact that they have more facets but the angles & percentages to which they've been cut. Their *performance* next to other known performers is what caught my attention. I can't go into too much detail at this point becuase when we introduce them I want it to be a proper intro, well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results