shape
carat
color
clarity

3.15 round brilliant. Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ELL

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a 3.15 round brilliant with these statistics. Can you please tell me in what ball park I should be as far as price?
It is a E.G.L. European certed diamond (yes, I know this is red flag)

dimentions 9.51 x 9.46 X 5.81
Polish Excellent
Sym Excellent
56% table
61% depth
crown 14%
pavillion depth 44%
No flourescence
21.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
according to Pricescope your diamond, about 31K

ELL

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I paid 20,000.00 (private party sight unseen so I am a little nervous) I have three days to return with an escrow company acting as the mediator. The only thing that scares me is the European E.G.L cert.

The measurments couldn''t be off could they? Wouldn''t this be an ideal cut diamond?
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
According to the HCA "The total depth % you entered suggests that the girdle is overly thick, or the data you entered is incorrect" So that to me means take a pass on this one.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got 2.4 HCA. Mat, you must have kept it as angles instead of switching to %

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You are right...thanks Julie! Okay so 2.4 means no still not an ideal cut. But if size is your #1 then it might be a good choice for you, understanding that the color is likely to be lower a few color grades then it says on the grading report. Also is it eye-clean?

ELL

Rough_Rock
I think I mixed something up. Here it is again. Sorry (newbie)
3.15 CARAT
9.51 X 9.46 X 5.81
Depth 61.2 %
Table 56 %
Crown Height 14%
Pavillion depth 44%
Girdle medium faceted
Flourescence none
Color G
Clarity SI1
Polish EX
Sym EX

What can you tell me about a European E.G.L. cert?
33.gif

ELL

Rough_Rock
I have not seen the diamond yet. I get it on Saturday. What is the formula you are using?
23.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are loose in their grading. So the G could actually be more like an H-I. The clarity could be off as well. 3 days isn''t a lot of time to be able to take it to an appraiser, but that''s what I recommend you do. Make an appointment now with an independent appraiser before they send you the stone. Good luck, it could be a great stone. Let us know what you find out!!!
1.gif

ELL

Rough_Rock
Shouldn''t a 2.5 still look nice? Can they fudge on the measurements, polish and sym as well?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure it might look nice! My understanding is that the EGL''s are known to be soft on color grading, so it probably is not a G. So you need to compare prices on a similar stone that is H or I and very good cut to get a better idea. Just have that appraisal appointment set up so you can send it back in time if necessary.

ELL

Rough_Rock
Do the certs ever fudge on the measurements (depth, table, pavillion, ect) Shouldn''t a 2.5 still look pretty nice or could the pavillion throw the whole stone off? Can anyone call the diamond an Ideal cut when it is not? In the comments at the bottem it said it was an Ideal Cut diamond.....Anyone?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2006 11:19:13 PM
Author: JulieN
according to Pricescope your diamond, about 31K
i would guess more like $38k for an G SI1 AGS 0 cut.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I knew you''d chime in on these big carat threads.

31K for a G, SI1 EGL stone.

ELL

Rough_Rock
What is the difference between an E.G.L. cert and a European E.G.L. cert? Still wondering if they ever fudge on dimentions or are they always correct in a cert? Can they call it ideal when it is not in the comments? Help....
32.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dimensions aren't fudged, they're just rounded. The measurements can be easily verified by an appraiser.

They (the seller) can call it whatever they want. The only lab that gives "ideal" as a grade is AGS

ELL

Rough_Rock
The seller never said it was Ideal but in the comments on the bottem of the cert it said Ideal cut diamond
23.gif

Totally baffled now...........ANYONE?

ELL

Rough_Rock
This is the exact wording in the comments at the bottem of the E.G.L. cert.

"Excellent Ideal Cut The quality of this diamond achieves excellent in symmetry and proportions thus obtaining the optimal dispersion of light and brilliance"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2006 1:22:42 AM
Author: ELL
What is the difference between an E.G.L. cert and a European E.G.L. cert? Still wondering if they ever fudge on dimentions or are they always correct in a cert? Can they call it ideal when it is not in the comments? Help....
32.gif
ELL
different labs has different rules for "IDEAL CUTS"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, just because it says on the bottom of an EGL cert that it's an ideal cut, it does not mean a thing.

some of them say Tolowsky Ideal Cuts but that doesn't mean a thing either.

if the lab may be loose grading in the first place, aka color or clarity,they could be wrong on cut as well.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 1:52:45 AM
Author: Mara
actually, just because it says on the bottom of an EGL cert that it''s an ideal cut, it does not mean a thing.

some of them say Tolowsky Ideal Cuts but that doesn''t mean a thing either.

if the lab may be loose grading in the first place, aka color or clarity,they could be wrong on cut as well.
Yup, well said
2.gif

ELL

Rough_Rock
I agree, they can call it whatever they want but can the put whatever measurments they want on it? If I look and compare the measurments of this diamond is comes out as an ideal cut. Am I calculating it correctly?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 2:02:55 AM
I agree, they can call it whatever they want but can the put whatever measurments they want on it? If I look and compare the measurments of this diamond is comes out as an ideal cut. Am I calculating it correctly?
People keep saying no this is not an ideal cut...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are you comparing exactly?

also you don''t have the angles of the stone, just %''s so the HCA score is just an ESTIMATE really. if you can get a sarin run on the stone it will give you angles and then a more accurate scoring on the HCA.

just from looking at the numbers you posted, the pav angle may be a little steep, but i can''t remember what the 14% and 44%''s translate to in angle ranges. %''s are ROUNDED so they are not accurate to use.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2006 2:02:55 AM
no need to guess.you must take this stone to an independent appraiser for advise "and hurry" ask he/she to do a sarin or helium scan. you''re laying $20k on the table,get as much information as you can on this stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results