shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Ct. RB for Retirement/20th Anniversary Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thall005

Rough_Rock
Hi folks. This is my first post, after lurking almost daily for more than a year. My goal has been to learn everything I need to know to buy a quality diamond to celebrate reaching two of life''s milestones. Thanks go out to all of you PS''ers who tirelessly and freely, give your time to others.

I have narrowed down my finalists, and will have both stones appraised by someone I learned of through this website. Stone #1, is from a reputable, local jewelery store in business for over a century. It is pretty, but, no "WOW factor." Reality hit. What kind of a chump would I be for not using all of the information I have learned, just because I am nervous about an internet purchase? Stone #2, I held my breath and called Whiteflash.

I am soooooooo excited! I wanted to share my experience, but any feedback would be cool.

Stone #1: (Jeweler represented as Ideal Cut)

GIA report, dated September 6, 2005

2.01 Ct. Round Brilliant, Represented as Ideal Cut
F/VS2
Depth: 62.1
Table: 56.1
Girdle: MED to SLTK
Culet: V.S - .6%
Crown Ang. 34.9
Pavil. Ang. 41.1
Fluor. None
Pol/ Sym VG/VG

Inverted Natural at, or near girdle which I just realized. It was hard to see on copy of report,and was never discussed. Should the jeweler have mentioned it?

Stone #2

AGS, report dated December 15, 2005
2.164 Ct, Round Brilliant, A Cut Above, H&A

G/VS2
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 55 on advertisement page (Sarin Rpt shows 55.7) ?
Girdle: H to SLTK - Faceted
Culet: .4% Pointed
Crown Ang. 34.7
Pavil. Ang. 40.7
Pol/Sym ID/ID
Pinpoints and a Needle

Thanks so much for any thoughts!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote #2. ACAs are quite sparkly. If the other stone didn''t wow you I think this one might.

Have you talked to Jonathon at Goodoldgold.com?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Will you be able to see them before sending them to the appraiser or are you relying purely on the appraiser''s opinion? The reason I ask is that the appaiser will help you be sure you''re getting what you''re paying for, but won''t help you decide whether or not you LOVE the stone. Since one is local, I would think it would be helpful to have the WF sent to you and then go over to your local jeweler so you can see both stones with your own eyes side by side.

Of course, most likely you''re already planning on doing this so if so you can just ignore me!
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Mo.....just wanted to say welcome, and congratulations on your 20th AND your retirement!

I can''t think of a better way of celebrating than getting a 2ct diamond!

Have you seen the WF stone in person yet?

Have fun, keep us posted on your progress, and again...congrats!

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick thought...

Date: 1/15/2006 5:20:11 PM
Author:Diamond Mo

Inverted Natural at, or near girdle which I just realized. It was hard to see on copy of report,and was never discussed. Should the jeweler have mentioned it?

Perhaps the jeweler didn't anticipate you would even know to ask - I wonder how many buyers would
2.gif

Was the inclusion called 'indented natural' or 'knot' ? Either way... VS2 and girdle thickness make me think there isn't any problem there (IMO).

I wonder what criteria the shop uses for 'ideal cut'. GIA doesn't use those words... so it is the shop's grade.
If F-VS sounds tempting versus G-VS, you could have cut quality evaluated by an appraiser, compare with whatever brand of H&A can be found locally (8*, HOF?) or try THIS
38.gif

If you tried the proportions given for the two stones on the 'Cut Adviser' - the deeper pavilion of the F/VS gets a hit (2.8 score versus 1 for the ACA). I doubt this makes the stone look that much worse, especially if symmetry is tops... but since 2 cts is not that small, it may show somewhat. Without seeing them, this is just guessing.

Stone #2
Table: 55 on advertisement page (Sarin Rpt shows 55.7) ?

1% variation for table size is common... between scans. Between 5 and 56... it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, since either works great with the rest of proportions given (i.e. borderline value for a cut grade - say, 60/61 or 53/54 - may be a problem, this is somewhere in the middle.

My 2c opinion
34.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 all the way....if the first one did not wow you in person, those angles and numbers do not wow me either, so i''d say your eyes were spot on...#2 has great numbers, have you seen the images and all that? they can also do real life images, aka the stone on someone''s hand etc. I''d have #2 shipped out for you to look at but I really like the specs.

good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of F and G ...

WF has two 2 carat ACAs - about the same price, one F/VS2 and the G/VS2 you mention. With the F, there''s hardly any trade-off between the H&A and the non H&A local stone. Unless the price is different - and I would expect non-H&A to be less expensive. At least among the listings here they are. Have you tried the ''Search by Cut Quality'' above? There are quite a few in the range of size, price and quality you mention
34.gif

thall005

Rough_Rock
This is so awesome getting such speedy responses from all you guys! Lets see if I can remember to address all issues here.

Ame - I have looked at GOG throughout the last year and didn''t notice too much recently. I have actually made a down payment on Stone #1, with a promise to pay off in January. I have possession of the stone, but have in writing a 30 day money back. I am taking it to the appraiser in a nearby city. Whiteflash has arranged to send Stone #2, to the same appraiser, timed for arrival prior to the appointment time. I can see them both, side by side.

Hest88 - The appraiser will look at both stones and identify the "lessor" of the two. Since I will be personally on the scene, I will be allowed to view reasons for rejection by results of Idealscope, H&A viewer, microscope, etc. Costs will be discussed of course, as well. Neat, huh?

Valeria 101- The term was "inverted natural" for sure. I kinda feel like he should''ve brought it up. I don''t want that kind of flaw. I ran a search and learned that where it is located is important, and it can''t necessarily be covered by a prong, because the prongs act as car bumpers to absorb shock. Could cause a chip. I will find all that out from the appraiser I imagine. Thanks for the tip on the tool; I guess that''s covered, too. Also, if the ACA is well cut, the G may face up an F anyway, right?

Mara - Stone #1 looked so nice in the store lights; colors flashing like crazy. By design, of course. When I brought it home, I didn''t see all those color flashes, and I ran HCA and was let down big time. Didn''t know absolutely why the results weren''t better until Valeria mentioned deeper pavillion. Picking the setting is next. I have a few ideas to post later for advise.

I go to the appraiser Tuesday 16th. I''ll let ya''ll know. I hope the 2.16 ct. works cause it''s the larger and maybe I won''t have to deal with "shrinkage" so soon, heh heh.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
I vote for number #2. Can''t go wrong with an ACA from WF. #1 is a bit steep in depth (for me, and I thought ideal range for depth is less than 62%, but I could be wrong on that) Your eyes should be the deciding factor. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary. I am so glad you will get to see these stones side by side at the appraisers. I hope the 2.16 is a wow, I bet it will be!!! I love the numbers on it. Good luck on the 16th!!!
1.gif

thall005

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh, thanks so much for the welcome. I have already retired, as of Nov. 1st, and our anniversary is 2 months from today. I have waited so long for this to happen and have had a blast browsing this site. This time around is quite different than just walking into this process blind, like we did 20 years ago. I still have lots to learn, but now that I know there is great stuff out there, I know I will end up better off this time. My spouse is so supportive. Lucky me.

My current e-ring is an I/SI, 1.08 ct. I can see a hugh difference between mine and Stone #1, already. Can''t wait for the 16th.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Mo congratulations on your retirement and on your upcoming anniversary! What an exciting project to be choosing an upgrade diamond. That ACA looks pretty great, but it will be wonderful for you to be able to see both stones side by side to compare them with your own eyes (and the appraiser''s eyes). Have fun and keep us posted!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond Mo, Sincere congratulations on your retirement and on the impending purchase of a fabulous diamond. The ACA has good angles and I think it''ll blow you away. Definitely can''t wait to hear what you decide. Good luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your anniversary/retirement diamond mo
36.gif
let the fun begin!
of course, i think #2 looks awesome
3.gif
i can''t wait to hear your thoughts tomorrow.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Indented natural is probably the term intended - a natural at the girdle affecting the shape of the round profile of the stone in the face up position.

If the term "inverted natural" was used, it was probably just a "mis-speak" - I''ve never heard that term...as far as I know, naturals don''t have a directional component, but only a positional one - usually being at, under or above the girdle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results