shape
carat
color
clarity

$100k+ budget - Harry Winston or Custom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misscrystal

Rough_Rock
Hii,

So I have been on Pricescope stalking all these forums for quite a while now... but I finally mustered up the courage to post! I have learned so much from Pricescope, as one month ago I knew zilch about diamonds! Anyway....I tried figuring out this question by myself, looking on forums, and asking close friends, but I still don''t know what I want to do about this situation..

My boyfriend has given me around a $100k+ budget for a ring, and we''ve seen Harry Winston and they have found a few stones/rings for us.... but I''m wondering if I should use that money and get a bigger center stone and do a custom mounting instead

(These are all round brilliant center stones)
The stone that HW found is a 2.5 D VS1, Triple X, no fluorescence, running over $100k....
and also a 3.06 E VVS2, Triple X, no fluorescence running close to $200k..
Those both would be set in either their classic tapered baguette setting, or their pear side stones (that I haven''t figured out either yet....)

I''ve called some other jewelers, looked on bluenile, etc, and I can get around a 3.0 ct, D-E, VS1 and above for around $90-130k, then get it set by someone like Leon Mege or something.

The bf thinks that if we are spending such a huge chunk of money already, we should just do it through HW to make sure everything checks out okay... OR he thinks that he can lower my budget to $30k then I won''t have this problem at all!! (ummm... funny guy haha)

What is everyone''s thought about this?? I know this is a what some would call, a good problem to have, but I am honestly torn!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
If you are interested in getting the traditional RB, I would go with one of the trusted vendors here to get a bigger, better performing, killer stone. You can then have it set by whomever you like. You will get a much bigger bang for the buck. [note: Winston does deal on price so that the listed price is not what you should wind up paying but will still be higher than the price here].

BTW, you can look at the prices link at the top of the page to see the range of what you can get for your budget. It is way more than a 2.5 carat D VS1.

LadyLilac

Rough_Rock
What a fantastic problem to have!
emteeth.gif

And it would be a no-brainer for me--I''d work with one of the highly praised people on PS to find the most spectacular 3ct stone ever and would then use one of the highly praised people on PS to make exactly the setting that I want.

Wherever your search leads, please promise to post pictures of the finished product!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the others. I would actually contact several of the vendors, as diamonds of that size and quality aren''t common and see what they can find for you.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
you know... a 100K can get you a HECK of a stone - probably more substantial than 3CT in my opinion if you do not go through Winston.
As suggested, I would do several searches on this site with trusted vendors to get what you are looking for. It might require a little more work on your part, but i believe that you will reap the rewards in the end :)

ETA: I am not sure on how colorless diamonds are runnning $$$ ( I am into yellow ones ) - but I am sure you'll be finding an equally beautiful stone from the vendors here than winston is quoting you.

we all cook with the same water..............

asforhim

Rough_Rock
I purchased through Harry Winston but not before looking essentially everywhere else. Although, my situation was a bit different in that I was in the market for a fancy shape stone. I wanted a cushion/radiant in the micropave setting and I would easily have had Leon make me one if I found the diamond (I have a handful of Leon pieces and he does great work).. But, the rock at Harry Winston was hands down, by far, not-even-close the most beautiful show stopper around.

If I were to buy a larger round diamond I probably would not go through HW only because rounds are all by the numbers these days, and you can find essentially the same stones from quality online vendors. Fancy stones are much more subjective.

If you do go through Harry Winston, make sure to negotiate. They will knock atleast 10-15% off, maybe more.

PICS when you get it, please !!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you went with a F-G (G is safe at almost any size, except for the most sensitive), VS2, you could get a HUGE round. Like around 3.5-3.99. If you''re wanting the most bang for your buck, I would absolutely enlist one of the vendors here, who provide all the info, to find you one. You have the budget to get an exceptional cut (key) diamond, and a killer setting. You won''t find any in this size listed at any of them though, this is a rare size these days, and might take some time to find.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert on spending a budget of this size (though I can dream!) but would another option be to approach one of the vendors and ask about getting something custom cut (e.g., through Paul Slegers at Infinity or Brian Gavin Diamonds)?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I''d contact Brian Gavin and see what he can find for you. Then I''d have Leon Mege do the setting.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 5:43:08 PM
Author: Ellen
If you went with a F-G (G is safe at almost any size, except for the most sensitive), VS2, you could get a HUGE round. Like around 3.5-3.99. If you''re wanting the most bang for your buck, I would absolutely enlist one of the vendors here, who provide all the info, to find you one. You have the budget to get an exceptional cut (key) diamond, and a killer setting. You won''t find any in this size listed at any of them though, this is a rare size these days, and might take some time to find.

I totally agree. For a tad more you could even get into the 5 carat range if that is what you would like.

And, you could certainly get something custom [re]cut by a company like Infinity, 8*, or BG [I''m sure I''m missing somebody great - sorry!]. I know that BG does recuts directly and you can work through Wink to get either an 8* or Infinity recut - depending on the "look" you like.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 6:18:29 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
100k? A house.. yes.. that's a huge down payment for what I'd buy. lol Seriously though, given just half that amount of money, I'd be talking to Leon Mege...

Agreed:
Killer stone + Leon Mege = Drop Dead Gorgeous ring!

ETA Have a look at Mege's web site. He has some amazing rings with huge stones.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
It really depends. Do you want the opportunity to tell people that your ring is from HW? If it''s important, then go with it. If you don''t care then I would definitely go online. I would go with Mark Morrell for the setting because I''m on love with his work.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 6:57:07 PM
Author: Sam82
It really depends. Do you want the opportunity to tell people that your ring is from HW? If it''s important, then go with it. If you don''t care then I would definitely go online. I would go with Mark Morrell for the setting because I''m on love with his work.
or lie
31.gif
they couldn''t tell the difference.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 9:28:56 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 9/11/2009 6:57:07 PM

Author: Sam82

or lie
31.gif
they couldn''t tell the difference.

Liar, Liar... Pants on fire!

misscrystal

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all your responses! I have checked out some more stones from some other vendors, and we might do a bigger stone and have Leon set it for us! We are visiting HW soon and if he can cut us a great deal, we might just pay a little premium and go with them. If not, we''re going to look elsewhere!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: deleted post. Too judgemental upon reread.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that there has been discussion in the past that LM makes or has made pieces for HW. This may make your FI more comfortable with going straight to the source, cutting out the middle man, and maximizing your dollar.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, you have a budget that only some of us ladies can dream of, regardless, the recomendation for anyone is to purchase a stone and setting that sets your heart a flutter.

Don't get caught up in the brand or the price tag, look within your goal posts fiscally but ultimately, you want an ering that suits your tastes, that looks stunning and is comfortable on your hand but more importantly that you're totally in love with.

Do your research, try on lots of rings and look at lots of stones but don't get caught up in the numbers too much cos it's all about a feeling and a look and sometimes the numbers don't add up, but so what, you like what you like.

Whatever you decide, you've got all our juices flowing, so lotsa pics please!!

Po
x

Ozgirl

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/11/2009 2:39:16 PM
Author:misscrystal
Hii,

So I have been on Pricescope stalking all these forums for quite a while now... but I finally mustered up the courage to post! I have learned so much from Pricescope, as one month ago I knew zilch about diamonds! Anyway....I tried figuring out this question by myself, looking on forums, and asking close friends, but I still don't know what I want to do about this situation..

My boyfriend has given me around a $100k+ budget for a ring, and we've seen Harry Winston and they have found a few stones/rings for us.... but I'm wondering if I should use that money and get a bigger center stone and do a custom mounting instead

The stone that HW found is a 2.5 D VS1, Triple X, no fluorescence, running over $100k....
Those both would be set in either their classic tapered baguette setting, or their pear side stones (that I haven't figured out either yet....)

I've called some other jewelers, looked on bluenile, etc, and I can get around a 3.0 ct, D-E, VS1 and above for around $90-130k, then get it set by someone like Leon Mege or something.

The bf thinks that if we are spending such a huge chunk of money already, we should just do it through HW to make sure everything checks out okay... OR he thinks that he can lower my budget to $30k then I won't have this problem at all!! (ummm... funny guy haha)

What is everyone's thought about this?? I know this is a what some would call, a good problem to have, but I am honestly torn!
You could do what I did, which was to find the best possible stone via the online vendors and then take the printout of said stone to HW and see if he is willing to match the price.

I searched the internet and found the stones I wanted for my ring (prevoius one was stolen, and hubby gave me his bonus so I could upgrade - nowhere near your budget - jealous) then took the details into my chosen B&M (not HW - I'm in Australia) and they were prepared to match the price, gave me the peace of mind I was after. Once the deal was agreed in principle, they sourced the stones, got them in, I went and had a look at the stones and the certificates, was happy with what I saw, signed on the dotted line, gave them the deposit and they started making the ring.

If I had gone with my B&M original price I would have had 3x 0.65 H SI1 stones with vgood cut for my budget. Instead I now have 3x 0.76 F VS1 stones with excellent cut and H&A for $15600 (+$2400 to make the ring) which according to their 'ticket' price should have cost me over $28000. There are definately deals to be done with the B&Ms if you can prove you are knowledgeable, which PS helped me to do.

Just another option that might be worth investigating - It worked for me.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I had a budget of $35K when I was looking for a diamond. I had specifics such as a pear shape and yellow color.
I wanted to get the biggest rock I could within my budget with the only thing in mind was that I was in the VVS range. Then I found a listing on ebay ( yikes I know! ) for a 5.13CT pear VVS2 with the colored desired in the low $20K. I got myself a heck of a deal by looking extensively for my dream rock.
Hmmm... I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, its great to be able to go to HW and get something there, but if I were you with your generous budget, I would still try to get the best deal possible out there, wheather its at HW or through a dealer here etc... Get the best with your $$$. Don''t settle for the "brand" unless its really something you wish for. Keep your options open :) When you make such an important purchase, its great to take your time and explore all possible venues to end up with the ring that makes your heart sing! :)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t care who you go with, as long as you post LOTS of pics!
emwink.gif

Seriously, though, if it were me, I''d get a gorgeous H&A stone and then have Leon Mege make the setting. I think his workmanship is as good as or better than HW.

However, I would NEVER turn down an HW ring. They are gorgeous and if you would like to tell people that you have a HW ring, that is an impressive thing indeed. You can''t go wrong either way ...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hii,

So I have been on Pricescope stalking all these forums for quite a while now... but I finally mustered up the courage to post! I have learned so much from Pricescope, as one month ago I knew zilch about diamonds! Anyway....I tried figuring out this question by myself, looking on forums, and asking close friends, but I still don't know what I want to do about this situation..

My boyfriend has given me around a $100k+ budget for a ring, and we've seen Harry Winston and they have found a few stones/rings for us.... but I'm wondering if I should use that money and get a bigger center stone and do a custom mounting instead

Those both would be set in either their classic tapered baguette setting, or their pear side stones (that I haven't figured out either yet....)

I've called some other jewelers, looked on bluenile, etc, and I can get around a 3.0 ct, D-E, VS1 and above for around $90-130k, then get it set by someone like Leon Mege or something.

The bf thinks that if we are spending such a huge chunk of money already, we should just do it through HW to make sure everything checks out okay... OR he thinks that he can lower my budget to $30k then I won't have this problem at all!! (ummm... funny guy haha)

What is everyone's thought about this?? I know this is a what some would call, a good problem to have, but I am honestly torn!

Some suggestions....

for the $100ish for a 2.5 at HW you could have this 7.92 carat OEC in a beautiful setting.

Link

7.92 OEC_aud.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hii,

So I have been on Pricescope stalking all these forums for quite a while now... but I finally mustered up the courage to post! I have learned so much from Pricescope, as one month ago I knew zilch about diamonds! Anyway....I tried figuring out this question by myself, looking on forums, and asking close friends, but I still don''t know what I want to do about this situation..

My boyfriend has given me around a $100k+ budget for a ring, and we''ve seen Harry Winston and they have found a few stones/rings for us.... but I''m wondering if I should use that money and get a bigger center stone and do a custom mounting instead

Those both would be set in either their classic tapered baguette setting, or their pear side stones (that I haven''t figured out either yet....)

I''ve called some other jewelers, looked on bluenile, etc, and I can get around a 3.0 ct, D-E, VS1 and above for around $90-130k, then get it set by someone like Leon Mege or something.

The bf thinks that if we are spending such a huge chunk of money already, we should just do it through HW to make sure everything checks out okay... OR he thinks that he can lower my budget to $30k then I won''t have this problem at all!! (ummm... funny guy haha)

What is everyone''s thought about this?? I know this is a what some would call, a good problem to have, but I am honestly torn!

And for the $200k 3.06, you could have this 8.07 Emerald Cut...yums
30.gif

Link

8.07 Emerald_aud.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
No matter what you choose, make sure it''s something that you LOVE. HW or not, this budget is going to buy something BEAUTIFUL and I hope you come back and share photos after you decide!

If it were my decision, if I didn''t go with one of the antiques I listed, I''d go custom with an awesome stone and a hand made setting (my choice would be James Meyer).

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you go with Harry Winston, it might be worth your while to visit Leviev, Graff and DiModolo (all of them are around 62nd-63rd & Madison) if you''re in New York. They have some spectacular things.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
For that budget, i''d either have a vendor here source me the biggest, colorless and highest clarity stone i could get (ideal cut of course), then have leon set it, or I''d do Harry Winston.

Unless you love low color stones, I wouldn''t spend 100k on one just to get a larger carat weight. A colorless, high clairty stone in the 2.75-3ct still gives the "wow" factor plus bragging rights due to it''s "quality".

misscrystal

Rough_Rock
Good morning! Wow, thanks for all the responses. I really, really appreciate it!

I do think I have read on Pricescope that LM has made pieces for HW in the past, so that is why I would maybe lean towards going with him if the HW doesn''t work out, as I really like his work with the double claw prong settings.

Also, it would be really cool if HW matched prices, but as far as I''m concerned, I''m almost positive they don''t. =( Wow, the more and more I think about it, that would be amazing! As whenever we have spoke to someone working at HW, they say that we can get a diamond anywhere, have it set, but it is still not the same...

Yeah, I am super aware that I could go a different shape of stone as other shapes tend to be less expensive (relatively) when you get up to higher carat weights, but we do want to stay with the RB shape, and in D-E, and no lower than VS1. Though now we''re seeing there''s a bigger jump from VS1 to VVS1 than there is from E to D in this carat size. I guess it''s because it''s harder to find stones with high clarity so big?? Correct me if I''m wrong... I''m not sure

And I''ve checked out Graff, Tiffany''s, Van Cleef and Arpels, Cartier, Saks, pretty much everywhere...
- Cartier seemed a bit too heavy of a setting for me (AND they were the most ridiculously priced out of everyone)... but their stones were LARGE and very, very beautiful!
- Tiffany''s - turns out they use their own diamond grading process, and not GIA, so we are a bit hesitant about that... since if you grade and cut your own diamonds... why wouldn''t they all be Triple X, ideal, etc? =/
- We went to the Graff store in Las Vegas a week or so ago, and they were actually decently priced, but I felt the setting was bulkier than the setting at HW, and I really want a ring with a delicate setting. With that said, their prices weren''t unreasonable, and they do let you know they are willing to work with you on a good price. So that was definitely a bonus. Ohhh, and the sales rep did let me try on a 3.0 ct D IF round brilliant set with pears...... man was it gorgeous. That ran about $300k... boo.

And yes, I promise to post pictures.. once we are able to find our ring!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Searching the D-E-F, IF-VVS criteria is my favorite past time!
2.gif
I always look at James Allen''s database......

Doubt you''ll get brand names/B & M''s to match online pricing, but as others have pointed out, they may "negotiate".

Happy searching!

cheers--Sharon

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i was looking at the leon mege website since the OP mentioned leon mege

they seem rather "stuck up" about giving out certificates of their diamonds
http://www.artofplatinum.com/start/diamonds/diamonds.php
they dont seem too customer friendly in this open online world...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
In this economy, maybe HW will come down in price a tad. But doubt they will match prices here. But surely doesn''t hurt to ask.

I can''t wait to see what ring you decide upon!! I know it will be spectacular!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results