shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC - Central Park

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nolefan

Rough_Rock
Help! I''ve been putting together a plan to propose in early September, but have run into a few logistical snags. We''re due eat at Tavern on the Green at 6pm, then off to see Shakespeare in the Park at 8pm, and I''d planned on being able to get a carriage ride down to Bow Bridge. However, the people from the carriage company tell me that (a) the Delacourte Theater isn''t anywhere close to their normal pickup location, and (b) that Bow Bridge isn''t in the safest part of the Park that time of night (approx 10pm). So, I''m frantically trying to come up with alternative plans, which is proving difficult since I''ve only visited NYC once in my life.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

nyceguy

Rough_Rock
Central Park is beautiful and there are plenty of places that would be suitable. I wouldn''t get too caught up with the logistics of the carriage ride since there are plenty of places you can propose. I personally love the canoes that you can rent and bring a bottle of wine on(I don''t know if the wine is "allowed" but if you are nonchalant about it you''ll be fine). I recently rented one and took my girfreind and found it to be extremely romantic. The Belvedere Castle is also beautiful and has wonderful views. The posibilities are pretty much endless, it really is personal preference. I would suggest searching the web for maps and pictures of the different places and pick one to be the spot. Also, CP tends to not be the safest place aftter dark. While it isn''t as bad as it used to be, I wouldn''t suggest walking around the park when you don''t really know your way around. The shakespeare in the park is great and I would follow the crowd out of the park since it ends pretty late. I would definitely suggest popping the question before the show and perhaps before dinner so you can enjoy most of the day without worrying.

joker382

Rough_Rock
I agree, I would try to do it earlier in the day so she can make all her phone calls and get them out of the way so you can enjoy the show and the rest of the night. I am going to propose in central park next week and I am still unsure of where to do it myself. I am thinking around one of the bridges, but still working on it. I agree with NYCEGUY, I would stay away from doing it at night in the park, especially if you don''t really know where you will be. There are some sketchy areas that are pretty dark. Just my opinion though.....good luck with what you decide

nolefan

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I appreciate the insight from both of you. I"ve never been to Belvedere Castle, but it looks like it''d be a good spot. I wonder if I can convince the staff there to give me some privacy on one of the balconies...I''d prefer not to have a huge crowd around when it comes to the actual moment.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
First of all let me say that it is so sweet you are planning all of this! But I agree, Central Park is not a place that you want to be meandering around late at night (even at 10pm!).

I also agree that a nice alternative is to do it earlier in the day so that she can enjoy it all day! You could propose at Bow Bridge or Belvedere Castle during the day (i have been to both places and they are very cute!) and then have a carriage ride drop you off at dinner instead. Belvedere Castle gets quite a few pepole there to take pictures and the balconies are small and crowded, even if there are just 3 or 4 other people there. It''s not THAT large of a castle. And I wouldn''t count on the worker there to help you much, they were not that helpful to us when we talked to them.

If you want more privacy I would suggest the Conservatory Gardens farther north - there are paths in the garden that you would have more chance for a private moment. Check out the central park website, it lists all the places in the park and gives you a map so you can see where everything is in relation to each other.

I think a proposal in the park and then a nice romantic ride down to dinner would be soooo cute! (I''m a girl if this puts any of this into perspective).

Well good luck and keep us posted!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 5:35:12 PM
Author:nolefan
Help! I've been putting together a plan to propose in early September, but have run into a few logistical snags. We're due eat at Tavern on the Green at 6pm, then off to see Shakespeare in the Park at 8pm, and I'd planned on being able to get a carriage ride down to Bow Bridge. However, the people from the carriage company tell me that (a) the Delacourte Theater isn't anywhere close to their normal pickup location, and (b) that Bow Bridge isn't in the safest part of the Park that time of night (approx 10pm). So, I'm frantically trying to come up with alternative plans, which is proving difficult since I've only visited NYC once in my life.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
Congrats! Sounds so sweet of you! I hate to be such a wet blanket but here goes:

Central Park is not always adviseable at night, but I have never had an issue. I am also not one to lollygag through it at night...

Shakespear in the Park is not just tickets at the counter. It's actually quite difficult to get, because they are limited and coveted, so you get them by waiting online down by Union Square East area, a building around there or at the Delacourte Theater itself. Free anything in NY goes fast. Last time I heard, people lined up at 9am to get the tickets at 1pm, and it was booked pretty fast. Also depends on who is in it, and which one is playing. Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and Midsummer's are all popular. This year it's R&J and Midsummer's I think...

Personally I don't know why you are tied to the park? Out of all NY the Park is interesting, but it's not NYC. I would much rather be in a nice, safe restaurant, enjoying good food and wine. Tavern to me is not a place I'd go for dinner. Totally touristy without anything validating it. Food is alright at best. If you want romantic, there are many other better places. It just seems cliche a bit and pricey without being worth it. And the carraige ride sounds ideal, it's just kind of stinky. I can never pass those poor creatures without wanting to set them free. Those carraige people are horrendous about maintenance and beyond the smell, they exist only to rip off tourist... Give me a limo for the same price and i would be FAR more comfortable and won't need nose plugs!
14.gif

what are you looking for specifically?

nolefan

Rough_Rock
You''ve definitely got a point - logistically, the Park is proving to be a little cumbersome. We were able to get advance tickets to Shakespeare by making a donation, so we''re committed to that. However, the rest of the Park is just predicated on the idea that we wanted to be in the area when it came time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results