shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for Napa/Sonoma Area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kalare

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First I''d like to thank everyone who''s been such a great help over the years...I''m a massive lurker and post only seldomly but when I do, I always get great help!

Moving on, I''ll be taking my GF to napa in early April for 4 nights and I''m trying to piece together some ideas for proposal. We''ll be arriving on a Sunday and probably take it easy, have a nice dinner and just relax in the room...maybe walk around the town for a bit. We''ll then have three full days at our disposal. Since she doesn''t even know we''re going to Napa (at least not yet, she thinks we''re going somewhere else in Northern CA) I''ll be planning everything. So far, I''ve got 4 things that I want to do. These 4 things, in no particular order are: 1-proposal, 2-Aritsan Wine Tour (hopefully I can get a reservation), 3-Napa Valley Wine Train (probably dinner), and 4-Safari West (probably do this at the end of the trip, since it''s not the most romantic, but we both love animals and such).

My dilemma is that I''m not sure where and when to do the proposal. I''m not to interested in the restaurant thing as I''d like to keep it more private and away from crowds and heavy traffic wineries. I''ve been turned onto a place called Chateau Montelena that supposedly has a very nice gazebo in the middle of a pond, but I''m not sure if I can secure this. I''ll have to call.

Anyways, I''d love to hear if any of you have any other ideas either about locations or order of things I should be doing.

Thanks!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Chateau Montelena has a man-made lake with bridges and gazebos. I''m not sure, but I think you have to sign up as a member of their wine club in order to be able to access their gazebos. The gazebos are basically just roped off to prevent people from entering and it''s at one end of a walkway so people can still pass by and look into the gazebo. Chateau Montelena tends to have a lot visitors and the gazebos aren''t really that big or private.

If you go to Calistoga, there''s tons of spas, mud and mineral baths. If you or your girlfriend are into that sort of thing, it might be something to consider.

Congratulations!
36.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Depending on where you stay, there might be some beautiful grounds that you could wander through, and the venue could help arrange something. Or, you could arrange a private tasting and/or picnic at a winery that has beautiful grounds. In Russian River (Sonoma), the Lynmar Estates and Arista Winery are two of my favorites for great wine and beautiful grounds. I would bet that either of them would arrange something private for you if you called ahead, especially since you wouldn''t be there on a crowded weekend day. Hop Kiln has very pretty grounds but is fairly touristy. In Napa, Opus One used to do private tastings -- I assume they still do, as do others. There are several champagne houses, S. Anderson, Mumm, CA, and Domain Chandon, who might do something private for you. Champagne seems right for a proposal
30.gif
. The Farm House Inn is a lovely place in the Russian River if you haven''t book your hotel yet. I''m sure you could work with them on arranging something. There are several really nice places in Calistoga and Healdsburg also.

As far as the wine train goes, unless you are into trains, I think it is not exceptional. There are so many marvelous restaurants in the area that I think you''d be better off enjoying one of them and driving through the countryside on your own. The train just goes straight up the valley, with no chance to get out and explore. If you do go, make sure it is daylight still or it really is just a train ride. Just my opinion...

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I just went to Napa in Sept. for our 20th Anniversary. I can suggest a few vineyards that are a must!! Sherwin Family Vineyards in the Spring Mountain district. The wines were absolutely fabulous and they offer free tastings. Just make an appt. We also went to Barnett which is just around the corner. The wines are lovely as well, but I felt like the tour was not that great. You had to make reservations and they usually charge $25 a person....but luckily we were not charged. Not sure how they worked out? but I was glad as I really didn't like the tour... the scenery is gorgeous though. I heard any winery in the Spring Mountain district has fabulous wines...so make it a point to get to one of them!! Another one of my favorites is Goosecross Vineyards!!(Oakville area) Fabulous wines and not that expensive compared to other winerys. Very hospitable there too. I think if you buy a bottle of wine, they won't charge you a tasting fee.
1.gif
Chappellet is also a great winery. Lovely tour, but again, you have to make reservations and it is easy to get lost so make sure they give you good directions if you go. The tasting is $25 a person, again,I think if you buy wine, they may not charge you. We stayed at the Vino Bello resort. They have a fabulous couples spa package and also a wine cave. We actually walked around the vineyards in the back of the resort that overlooks Napa. Wouldn't be a bad place for a proposal next to the huge statue of the Wine Presser.
3.gif
New place and I felt it was not far from where we wanted to go (10 minutes). We ate at a few restaurants but the one that stands out the most is owned by Michael Chiarello (Food Network chef) called Bottega. Make sure you make reservations as they are booked in advance. The prices are very reasonable there too and the food and wine was fabulous. I liked his "Bambino" label wine. We happen to purchase a signed bottle by him across from the restaurant (little shopping area) that sells his wines.

We never did the Wine train as we were told by others who have done it, that they wish they never did. It was at nighttime and they couldn't see anything...the meal was not that good either............ Have a wonderful time and Congratulations on your impending engagement. I so want to go back there. It is really beautiful there! I can see why people love California!!

kalare

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I''ll definately have to think more into the wine train. Reading some of the reviews, while most are decenty, it does seem that most everyone has the same compaints. Perhaps my money would be better spend elsewhere. I definately wanted to try out Bottega (since I love his old food network show) so I may book a reservation for that. It is nice that we will be there at the beginning of the week, so hopefully crowds will be far less.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results