shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

subpopculture

Rough_Rock
I''m sure this has been asked a million times, but since I''m new, I''ll ask again. I''ve been reading up on diamonds on this site, and have found it to be an excellent resource. I''m hoping to be able to propose to my special lady some time before the end of this year, and Christmas strikes me as the perfect time. We both love the wintertime, and so I want to do something that''s special for both of us.

I am very focused on symbolism and introspection; things for me are very personal and intimate. I don''t like flashiness or anything trendy. I am in fact, turned off by whatever is considered trendy or popular. So my requirement is it has to be unique.

My lady, on the other hand, is very traditional. She likes the status quo, and tends to lean towards wanting a traditional proposal. She still wants it to be special and personal, but in our discussions about her ideal proposal, it seems very "usual" to me.

I need to somehow merge these two perspectives into something that''s meaningful to both of us. I think she''d be happy with the typical "puppy in a box with a ring on its collar" idea (we''re considering getting a dog anyway, so no worries of animal neglect, etc please), but I find that too cliche an idea. I''ve been wracking my brain for months, trying to come up with a great idea (I missed the perfect opportunity to propose this past summer during our vacation to Martha''s Vineyard(!) due to financial issues (namely lack thereof)), so it seems like the next good opportunity is Christmas.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help mix our two seemingly different opinions?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Well, won't you help us with a few details, so we can make some good suggestions.

Tell us what the weather be like in your part of the world at Christmas time? What do you too do for fun? Does she have any hobbies or passions outside of your time together? Will you spend time with family during the holidays? Are you guys outdoor woodsy type, or indoor luxury type? Oh is she a girly girl...ruffles and dainty or more sporty or...???

DKS

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Where do you live? I''m in new england, where you can go for a sleigh ride in the snow. It''s really romantic - i was reading about it the other day and i thought it would be a perfect place for an engagement!

subpopculture

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/20/2007 3:50:06 PM
Author: treysar
Where do you live? I''m in new england, where you can go for a sleigh ride in the snow. It''s really romantic - i was reading about it the other day and i thought it would be a perfect place for an engagement!

Date: 9/16/2007 2:55:41 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Well, won''t you help us with a few details, so we can make some good suggestions.

Tell us what the weather be like in your part of the world at Christmas time? What do you too do for fun? Does she have any hobbies or passions outside of your time together? Will you spend time with family during the holidays? Are you guys outdoor woodsy type, or indoor luxury type? Oh is she a girly girl...ruffles and dainty or more sporty or...???

DKS

Yea, it would''ve made sense for me to list that stuff huh. So we live in sunny-in-December California. I have access to snow up in Tahoe, but its not readily available. We''re homey people, but we like spending time outdoors, doing comfy camping. No hard core backpacking or anything though. She''s a teacher, so she''s pretty fixed on her students a lot. We''ll be spending time with family during the holidays, but I''m hoping to get some "just the two of us" time too. We just bought a house together (most expensive ring ever!), so its a great excuse to have our first Christmas home together. We have a kitten, so I was thinking I could do something with him. Maybe tie the ring to his collar or something and have him wake her up in the morning.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Glad you came back. I check your post often!!

Oh poo...I was hoping we could squeeze in some ice skating and some hot cocoa and maybe a sleigh ride. Darn palm trees and sand and 80 degree sunny weather!! Darn it.

Well, I have a winter...if it means anything I would trade all the beans in my column to be there in sunny California. So Christmas isn't a Rockwell calendar where you are...you can still pull some magic out of your hat!!

OK...first house...first Christmas...new kid...I mean fur baby. All good. One thing is you will have to get her a personalized Christmas ornament. You know, our first Christmas in our new house...or something to signify engagement. There are really great ornaments that open so you can hide gifts...or bling within and hide them in the tree.

I really like that you are trying to fit it into the holidays. Because I like lights! Lots of romantic twinkling lights. You can create something breathtaking in an area with white lights strung above in a canopy like fashion. Or string one room in your house...so many places have great set ups for the holidays. And lights can be the center of it. A helicopter ride to view lights would be fun...even write something in lights, view from above... could be something to think of.

You have a lot of time to plan. Many have done creative scavenger hunts...and the last prize is finding you with the ring.

I would like to see you incorporate your house and new life together some how. Maybe you buy a doorknocker or door plate or welcome mat that reads Joe and Mandy Johnson....when she opens that gift...you are knee bound...yadda yadda yadda....with the REAL present. (no pun intended about the door stuff-you know me being door knob...it was just a coincidence for me to think of it...) and then there is the surprise when she sees Joe and Mandy Johnson and asks you who the heck are they???
2.gif

Had you come up with any thoughts or plans yet? If so please share them...maybe we can add to them...or just stand back in awe at what you created? I bet you would surprise yourself...and truthfully...it need not be elaborate...she is just wanting it to be meaningful...between the two of you. Anything you do...will be!!

DKS

Oh the puppy in the box or the new kitten can be really great ideas!! Simple and meaningful. Collars can be made to say anything you want.

Secret Proposal

Rough_Rock
I always thought it would be great to surprise her by dressing up as Santa Claus, and bringing her the "gift" from me. As long as there aren''t little kids who are still ''believers'' around.. Hah.

golden

Shiny_Rock
Hi! How are you?

I think the idea of the ring on the puupy or cat''s collar is great!! Since you have a cat already and she won''t expect anything and will be suprised to find the ring! great idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results