shape
carat
color
clarity

Candy Store Ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clyparkr

Rough_Rock
So I''m attempting to plan a creative proposal for my gf. She really really likes candy and we live in NYC and there is a really nice candy store here.

I''m trying to come up with a good idea for proposing to her.

My current idea is to take her out to dinner at a steak place we like to go to then tell her that I want to swing by this candy place. I want to then grab a box of candy...possibly in a heart shape... open it and the ring box be inside... then on the way back to our apartment text my landlord and have him go setup and light a bunch of candles in our apartment...

My main issue being... dropping off the ring before with some complete stranger... this is a very upscale candy store and the manager would more then likely not steal the ring... but it is nyc and it is a complete stranger...

I''m welcome to any ideas as well. I really want it to be special and something she doesnt see coming.

Oh forgot to mention we are heading on vaca for her bday with some friends next month...so im trying to plan it right before to make her think its me taking her out to a romantic dinner for her bday

haha not to mention I still need to get the ring ;-)

Thanks again
9.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm replying first, a) because I'm also a suspicious New Yorker, and, b) because I don't want anybody else to beat me to the obvious pun: that is so sweet!

Ahhhhhh. Now that that's out of the way ....

Have you considered doing a bait-n-switch? For example, buying a box of candy earlier in the day, putting the ring inside it, keeping it in your pocket all night, buying another one on the spot, putting it in the same pocket, and, along the walk home, drawing out Box # 1? Or, alternately, just because I seriously doubt that a fellow New Yorker is going to want the liability on that even if s/he is as honest as the day is long, maybe ask them to participate in a way that *doesn't* involve the ring ... hiding a sign saying "Will you marry me?" in that self-same box, asking them if they can put one together for you as a special order to be picked up, etc. No matter which option you choose, it sounds like she's quite a lucky lady.

ETA: First attempt to edit, foiled. Let's see how the second one goes ... serves me right for being greedy, I suppose, but it *does* go with the candy theme ....

clyparkr

Rough_Rock

That''s actually not a bad idea about the bait and switch...

So my plans have changed slightly... or at least for the time being.

I spoke with a manager at the candy store and they actually said they have an event planner... but as she can recall no one has ever done a proposal in the store but I should contact her to discuss the details...she also mentioned that she might have some good ideas as well.

So I think I''m going to rent a Driver/Car to pick her up from work and take her on a scavenger hunt to different locations around the city (yet all somewhat in the same area...don''t want her stuck in traffic all night). The hunt will end at the store where she is directed to head to a certain area... where she will find me... I''m thinking about holding a big candy gift basket or a candy box basket where the ring will be in one of their boxes on the top. I will take it out and do the proposal. This way I don''t have to leave the ring with anyone at the store... and I was thinking I might be able to have someone at the store use my digital camera to take pics of it.

We would then hop back in the car and head to dinner... then head home to all the candles etc...

I''m so excited planning this and trying to think of fun exciting things... i actually couldn''t sleep last night because i was so excited.

I really do like the bait and switch idea and will def think about that option... I will keep everyone posted on this after I speak with the party planner at the store.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would think the shop-keeper would be wary.

A guy I knew quite well asked me once if I''d take his wife''s e-ring and eternity ring into work (large jewellery manufacturer) and put them through the industrial ultra-sonic for him.

I said I wasn''t happy carrying such large stones around.

I found out later on from a long-term ex of his (who was on good terms with him) who I worked with, that I had done exactly the right thing. She had made the e-ring for him and it was a cz not a diamond, as was the eternity band. She was worried that he would then have accused me of switching out the stones!

Why don''t you get them to ice you a chocolate plaque with the words WILL YOU MARRY ME and put it in the box. Or have a small silver plaque engraved that she could keep as a keepsake.

ETA - In the town I lived in, in Italy, one poor guy decided to propose with an Easter Egg. He had the egg made with the ring inside and gave it to his FFI with instructions that she wasn''t to open it till Easter Sunday.

Only problem was, he''d ordered a dark chocolate egg and she only liked milk chocolate! So... she took it back to the shop and swapped it for a different one
23.gif
. the shop-keeper had no idea as she''d only met the guy...

He went nuts when he found out. They never did find the ring, but one of the jewellery companies in the area (the town''s main industry) offered to make them a new one exactly the same for free! (IIRC it was a pink sapphire with small diamond side-stones set in white gold)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Your ideas are most creative. I agree with minimizing the risk...maybe a friend of yours that she doesn't know can be there and hands the box/ring the special prepackaged whatever to the clerk while you both arrive....you allow her to choose everything she wants...and as you check out you say...have you ever tried this kind? lets add this....(the thing) to the ticket. (the friend continues to lurk and oversee the item????)

I don't know what type of candy store you are describing, but if it is a store with a bulk type bin filled with confections...it would be fun that the ring is actually loose on top of the candy...sorta like those crane type games...she sees it...and screams...can't get to it....and has to wait for the clerk to retrieve it...it is handed to you and you then slip it on the finger. OR it is placed in the paper cup thing nestled between the chocolate wafer cookie thingys. You say to her...what about that one sweetie? You say to the clerk I will take that one please....it is handed to you and ....

I was just reminded the other day of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's...Holly is presented her ring in a Cracker Jack box. I LOVE THAT!!! I tell you that to encourage your creativity. Cracker Jacks if famous for a secret toy surprise inside!! I have given special things to Mr DKS before...by placing them in his cereal box. We arise at different times...so it is always fun to see his face after he opens it. As the other story ...it is best not to leave the opening to chance. I don't give jewelry to hubby though.

I am still hoping some fella is going to watch the movie Breakfast at Tiff's and during it give his gal a box of Cjacks...oh too cute!

Keep working on it...you will iron out the kinks. Please continue to fill us in on your progress.

DKS

Oh and if a friend is used...a camera may be an option and a snap shot of the event ...

clyparkr

Rough_Rock
So after toooooons of thinking i decided to skip out on the candy store idea....

Heres how it went down ;-)

Her bday was last thursday so I told her I wanted to take her out for a early bday celebration on Tuesday since we were going to be in FL on her bday visiting my family doing an early thanks giving.

So I took her out to a really nice steak house(that she loves) for dinner and before we left I ran into the mens room and called my coworker who I had given a set of our apartment keys and asked him to go to my place after work and wait for my call... I asked him to light a bunch of candles around my apartment that I had setup early in the morning before I had left for work.

After a very short cab ride home to our apartment i walked her up to our door... before I opened the door I told her I really wanted her to have a memorable birthday since I''ve never really done anything to romantic or out of the ordinary before for her bday.

She was so surprised by all the candles and thought it looked beautiful...

So I had her sit down and open up her bday presents (I didnt want her to think i was proposing... but that it was just a regular bday celebration) I got her a book she wanted a cd and a dvd and a big ass basket of candy(she looooves candy)
and then I told her I made her something and I turned on the tv and dvd player... I made her a dvd photo slide show of us set to this song that she really likes... thats when she started to cry ;-) She thought the dvd was so sweet.

I then tried to play it off like that was it and asked her to open up her big candy basket... I told her to open a small box of candy that was in the basket... I said Dylans candy store made her something special... Inside the box was the ring box...

Thats when I proposed...

it was so exciting and I was so friggin nervous... i had all this stuff planned out to say when proposing but only 40% of it came out haha.

She said yes and was totally surprised... she knew it would be coming soon but I had told her i still needed more time to save for a ring.

I managed to take a few pics of the setup and make a little slideshow:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results