shape
carat
color
clarity

A Proposal EIGHT YEARS in the making ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

National Park Lover

Rough_Rock
This post, or more acurately series of posts, will chronicle what torture I put my beloved through during this very long "pre-proposal" period. I already know I''m going to get flamed by some of the women out there and I''m going to get a few nods from the guys that read this, but by the time I''m done (which might take the entire weekend) I hope that these pearls of wisdom can help some of you with your own proposal ideas.

As the subject title states, this proposal really did begin eight years ago. I had met my gf while doing work for our local police department and for her it was love (?) at first sight. She chased me and chased me through an eight month friendship where we went out together several times but most of our meetings (they really weren''t dates yet) were at her work (for some reason, police departments never close and midnight shifts are very slow after 4am) and a few were at my business after I closed but was still busy catching up on my work. Just after the New Year in 1997 she asked me out a real date and I accepted ... then after thinking about it, canceled a day later because (insert male ego here) it just wouldn''t be right that our first date was her asking me out. I promised to make it up to her by taking her some place special the next weekend but she had to make sure she could get out of work. I wouldn''t tell her where we were going just that I was going to pick her up about 6pm and we wouldn''t be back until the next day. Instead of spending the night in some cheap motel, I had arranged to get some inside passes from my uncle to view a night time shuttle launch from the cape here in Florida so our first night was spent in a convertible Mustang getting to know each other while waiting for the launch. Everything continued on well and I planned a 5 day get-away to the Florida Keys (again, not telling her where we were going ... except that I slipped up once and didn''t realize it).

We arrived in Key West on Valentines night and had a beautiful dinner for two on the outside deck of the restaurant of the Marriott Reach resort. I had pulled out all of the stops to make this a proposal type of event (I had not even bought a ring yet, but was going to go with her after she said yes to pick out her perfect ring - - - I wanted to make sure she had the ring of her dreams rather than give her something she didn''t want) ... as we were waiting for dinner she noticed an alter was setup on the beach where a couple had been married earlier that day and I so I asked her, "What would you do if I asked you to marry me right now?" and she replied, "I''d laugh in your face." (Ooops, not a good time to ask ... let''s just enjoy the vacation for what it is ... and leave it at that). When she''s ready, she''ll ask me.

Note to all guys : Have a good idea that she might say yes before you ask.
Note to all gals : Don''t say you''d laugh in the guys face or it might be eight years before you get asked again.

On the way back home, we decided to "pull a prank" on her co-workers who were harassing her about our relationship and get some cheap rings from Wal-Mart so that they would think that we eloped. So began the unofficial engagement ... it took months for any of her co-workers to figure out that we weren''t married (and these are cops ... detectives, so we must have been pretty convincing ... and we never lied either, just showed the ring whenever we were asked about and responded - "what do you think?").

I''m pausing now, trying to locate some pictures of the junkers that lasted for almost eight years (yeah, we kept them as a sort of commitment rings for that long). I really don''t recommend that anyone try to get eight years of milage out of a CZ, your gf''s are probably not as patient as mine was (is) ... and it also put me into another bind ... after waiting eight years, it better be a darn good proposal and a heck of a ring to match. Much later, after reading up on wedding ettiquette, we found that an engagement can consist of CZ''s or even items such as a braclet or necklace (again guys, don''t try to pull this fact out to save your butt, it won''t work).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results