shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with near-16mm pearls?

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
I'm toying with the idea of getting these two 15.8mm beauties for Xmas. They're huge, so I'm afraid they may be heavy for earrings. Any suggestions on how to properly display big pearls?

10750150_779432128761309_4254391604817291116_o.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Maybe dangle earrings? Pendant, Ring?

these are gorgeous though!

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Haha if it were me I would just cup them in my hands and say "yessss, my preciousssssesss." JK, but sometimes big pearls are fun just to touch and look at. Those are so beautiful that I would put them where I could look at them and touch them whenever I wanted. On a fun ring and a pendant on a long chain.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I can think of lots of things ...

For earrings, you could get a drop set on a post and clutch; the post helps with the weight for some reason.

A lariat necklace.

A double drop pendant, but not vertical. I once saw a pendant with two pearls that was sort of like an artsy upside-down "V", and it was gorgeous.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Is it from L's (Palawan)? Have you ever bought anything from her? I've seen some beautiful lustrous ones on her FB page and i'm wondering if they are of good quality or even real unenhanced GSS?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Bailey1856|1418580028|3800992 said:
Pirard|1418579800|3800988 said:

I think that is a great style for these massive pearls.

Agreed. That is my screen capture from Christine Lagarde's presentation to the Wall Street Journal's CEO Council annual meeting on Dec. 1, 2014. I saw a picture of her in the WSJ last week and ran to check out that necklace(s). I'm wondering if she couldn't decide which one was more beautiful, and ended up getting two necklaces? :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wear them as earrings as they would make my already wide face look even wider. :oops:

I would probably set them in a bangle, interchangeable with other gemstones, something like this:

5_32_0.jpg

DK :))

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Right you are, Bailey1856. I've bought 3 pairs from her.

What I've learned is that you need to be very specific about your standards. The first pair, tahitians, was fabulous; the second, deep GSS, had great luster, with 2-3 shallow pits. The third (also deep GSS) had a few more pits than I cared to see, although they were not noticeable from a foot away. I also noticed that her pearls don't have much in the way of orient. Still, her prices are reasonable, and she will tell you if the pearls are treated or natural.

If I buy these, I will hold off on repeat purchases until the summer. We're taking our vacation in Puerto Princesa, so that will give me the chance to handpick from her wares.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
dk168, I thought of that too. But I'm afraid the pearls will get banged up on desks and tables.

Bailey1856 and ennui, a lariat is a great idea!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cyndayco|1418585123|3801038 said:
dk168, I thought of that too. But I'm afraid the pearls will get banged up on desks and tables.

Not if the bangle is made in an oval shape so that it cannot move/twist around once on the wrist.

DK :))

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1418581660|3801011 said:

Agreed. That is my screen capture from Christine Lagarde's presentation to the Wall Street Journal's CEO Council annual meeting on Dec. 1, 2014. I saw a picture of her in the WSJ last week and ran to check out that necklace(s). I'm wondering if she couldn't decide which one was more beautiful, and ended up getting two necklaces? :love:
Fly, I realized after I posted that it did not include a credit for the photo, just the link...I have been smitten with them since you posted that photo. I was unable to go back and edit my post to reflect that.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pirard|1418586777|3801056 said:
Fly Girl|1418581660|3801011 said:

Fly, I realized after I posted that it did not include a credit for the photo, just the link...I have been smitten with them since you posted that photo. I was unable to go back and edit my post to reflect that.
Not a problem. When I saw those big pearls from the OP, I had the exact same thought as you. Since you beat me to the posting, I was just trying to echo your sentiment about that great necklace design.

I'm sorry that you can't see the video unless you subscribe to the WSJ. I did not realize that when I made the original posting. It is fun to see the pearls swing a bit when she moves.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I have a 14.1 mm GSS ring which I wear on my middle finger. I have very small hands and love the large pearl. I'd definitely use one for a ring! Keep us posted.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
cyndayco|1418584819|3801032 said:
Right you are, Bailey1856. I've bought 3 pairs from her.

What I've learned is that you need to be very specific about your standards. The first pair, tahitians, was fabulous; the second, deep GSS, had great luster, with 2-3 shallow pits. The third (also deep GSS) had a few more pits than I cared to see, although they were not noticeable from a foot away. I also noticed that her pearls don't have much in the way of orient. Still, her prices are reasonable, and she will tell you if the pearls are treated or natural.

If I buy these, I will hold off on repeat purchases until the summer. We're taking our vacation in Puerto Princesa, so that will give me the chance to handpick from her wares.

Exciting! Please post pictures of your purchases and specail pearls from her "vault" (if she has one).

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Those pearls are gorgeous, Cyndayco. I think it would look lovely to have one as a floating pendant on a thin gold wire necklace.

They would make great drops for the ends of a long strand styled like this Andy Muller necklace:

I would special order a clasp like the PP Orbit, but with both sides of the clasp having a spring opening, so the pearls could be set on rings and used as the strand ends (either both, as shown above, or just one end if double wrapped as a lariat, like below), as earring drops for gold hoops, or as a simple pendant.

I think those big gold pearls would look great with a strand in shades of white and gold:

Or WSS, GSS and dark Tahitians:

tahitians__andy_muller_3.jpg

multicolor_baroque_south_sea_pearl_1.jpg

multicolor_lariat1.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Cyndayco, would you mind posting the seller's name? I am curious to see what else she has.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
I love the lariat idea, and Kay, those first 2 necklaces are some of my very favorite "internet" pearl necklaces EVER :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all these lariat-style inspiration pics!

OP - your two huge green-gold pearls are such a great size and pair up so well, I'd really be inclined to showcase them in a necklace rather than splitting them up for a ring and a pendant - but of course, whatever design(s) you would wear more and reach for more are the ones to go with - these beauties definitely deserve to be seen and worn!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
CRDKeshi|1418683396|3801739 said:
I love the lariat idea, and Kay, those first 2 necklaces are some of my very favorite "internet" pearl necklaces EVER :)

Those 2 necklaces are frequently viewed selections from my "pearl ****" collection. :naughty:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kay... more **** .. more **** !! :lol: Blerg those photos are gorgeous! :love:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
cyndaco - In my opinion those beautiful pearls need to be seen by you so I would go for the bangle or Largarde style! Can't wait to see what happens!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm with Kay .. I'd love to see the website if she has one ! Nothing as much fun as looking at pearls on the internet!! :appl:

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I developed a dental emergency, and that pretty much ate the budget for my Christmas present.

If anyone's still interested, the vendor Lorrie Daloma sells out of Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Ls-Pearls-and-accessories.. She's based in Palawan, where we still have a few pearl farms (mostly Jewelmer's, I believe).

She says she gets her SSP's and GSSP's in Palawan, and the Tahitians from Ilocos and Davao. (Although I visited Davao recently, and I was told that the Davao had become too industrialized and its coastal waters can no longer sustain pearl farming. It's possible that Lorrie is just a middle man and goes by what her source tells her.) She doesn't grade pearls using A-AAA, or A-D, so you'll need to ask very specific questions, and to ask for photographs.

BTW, happy holidays to everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results