shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian pearl ring in need of 2 replacement pearls

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Hello I have a family ring that recently came to me it is missing 2 of the original pearls. I have concerns about being able to find 2 pearls (not cultured) or to go ahead and get 4 replacement pearls to restore the ring or have the spare pearls on hand for future need. I found a very similar ring on an antique site with 5 pearls very similar turquoise & jade on the sides, old style cut diamonds. This is a very special ring to me and I would like to be able to make sure the next generation will be able to wear and enjoy it.

dad_ring.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
This is the actual ring, you can see there are two pearls missing. Best guess is that the ring is 1940's era or at least that is when my Father purchased it, it may have been purchase as a vintage item back then. The pearls are each just over 3mm but not quite 3.5mm since they are not really round I believe I'm looking for 3.2 - 3.3mm replacement pearls. Thanks in advance for any ideas or sources that may be able to help me.

dad_ring_b.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to call PP. Jeremy was telling us last July about people sending antique jewelry to them asking for repair with old pearls. He may have some to fill the spots that are missing pearls.

If the ring is from the 1940's they may be cultured pearls not wild natural pearls. Matching color may also be a problem for you. If you do find a old item on ebay to harvest pearls from, the color may not match your old pearls.

Good luck in your hunt.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Nacerlover, I have sent an email to Jeremy. The matching issue is why I am prepared to replace all 4 pearls, although I really don't have too many concerns because even the original pearls were each somewhat different in shape and slight differences color shading. I would like to get them as close to the originals as reasonable. Thank you for your reply.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I just took a trip our west. I too recently inherited a two pearl ring containing only one pearl from my husband's aunt's estate. I figured it would be better to just replace both pearls with new than to look for something to match the old pearl in the ring.

Your ring is just beautiful, I love the style and turquoise stones.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you I have always loved this little ring. As a little girl we would lay on mom's bed and dump out her jewelry box and she would tell us about the pieces that we liked, lol girl training 101. It was my father's first promise ring to my mom, the lesson was to hold out - nag until you get the real diamond engagement ring *chuckle*. Maybe this is where I get my early love of pearls from!

The combination of pearls, old style cut diamonds, jade & turquoise was simple yet pretty, I stil like pearls and turquoise together.

Good luck on the restoration of your family heirloom ring, and finding the right pearls to bring it back to life.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I figured I would go to PP and have Jeremy select some loose Hanadama grade matched pairs from his earring stock or perhaps some of the Vietnamese akoya's he has if there are any left. The nacre was so thick they were dreamy.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I just got an email back from pp saying that they do not carry pearls in that small of a size range 3 - 3.5mm, bummer! If anyone has another source recommendation I would very much appreciate it. If need be I can watch ebay for loose or old vintage pearl pieces to harvest the two pearls that I need, search pawn shops or antique shops.

Anyone have thoughts on River pearls?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results