shape
carat
color
clarity

Saltwater vs Freshwater pearls for MIL's 70th birthday gift

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am very new to the world of pearls and need advice!
I have been trying to read old threads, :read: but thought I might just come out and ask for help. :wavey:

Sooo, as the title states, I am thinking of purchasing some jewelry for my MIL's 70th birthday. We are also throwing her a dinner banquet, so I'm thinking of spending between $200 ~ $500-ish.

My 2 issues:
1. I'm not really sure if she even likes pearls, but it just seems like such a classic thing to buy -- and certainly more affordable than many other gemstones - to say nothing of diamonds. BUT I've never seen her wearing pearls, though she often wears jewelry -- mostly of the gemstone variety, actually. I mean, jewelry is so personal, so I hesitate to choose aa gemstone. But, pearls are pretty straightforward (or can be), so I thought it would be a safe bet. . . but i dunno, now that i've started looking, maybe not. . . gah. What do people think? Yay or nay?

2. freshwater vs saltwater. I have some of both, all of them gifted to me. Perhaps my salt waters are, in general, of better quality, but my freshwaters seem so much less luxe -- is this a total misconception on my part (as I suspect)?

and related to my query:

3. Advice on what to choose, and which vendor? What size pearls? baroque? dangly vs stud? So many, many questions!!!

I thank you so much in advance!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Re: Saltwater vs Freshwater pearls for MIL's 70th birthday g

Hey mama_monkey, congrats on being able to host this great party for your mother in law!

Is $200-$500 your budget for jewelry plus the cost of the banquet, or is that your budget for jewelry alone?
Are you thinking your MIL would like earrings, a bracelet, or a necklace?
Also, what color does she like? Pearls come in all kinds of colors!

Everyone on the forum here loves pearls and would love to get them as a gift. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions if you really think your MIL would love to get some, too.

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock

Hi mynattk!

sorry that budget would b for the jewelry. My dh may want to spend less tho. :)

i was thinking the best quality stud earrings in 9+mm but now i'm not sure.
she seems to favor longer necklaces so a longer freshwater strand w/smaller pearls (6-7mm?) might be an idea...

the only pendant i've seen her wear is her cross, & i'm not sure about rings.
basically i have no clue.

i guess i'm also wondering if you would get pearls even if you weren't sure the recipient will big puffy heart them?
& if you would, what you think the "safest" gift choices might be.

thanks!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

Hi there. Here are my thoughts. First of all, if it was me, I'd be thrilled that someone thought to get me such a lovely gift, even if I wasn't crazy about the pearls themselves. I do think they're basic in a sense, not something many people would dislike, even if they weren't wild about them. I'd make sure I bought them from a reliable source and that they were returnable.

Freshwaters have come quite a long way in matching akoya quality, for much less money. Akoyas might tend to have a sharper luster, but freshwaters are nice too, maybe more of a glow. Also, freshwaters hold up over time better, they are solid nacre all the way though. Akoyas are a shell bead that is coated with nacre. Since she wears long necklaces, I'd consider that, if it's comfortably in your budget. An opera length strand (maybe with matching studs) is an impressive gift, it has wow factor. I'd go with freshwaters because it would be very expensive to get that in decent quality akoyas.

As for pearl size, 6-7mm is tiny. I think of that size for young girls, unless someone just prefers them. I'd go with 7.5 or 8.0. Of course, all is individual preference, so just my opinion.

What would you say her usual style is? Classic and simple, wilder or more fun clothing and jewelry choices, light, dark, pastel or bright colors?

I'm annoyed with myself because I bought a friend a white pearl strand and earrings for Christmas. It wasn't until after I sent it that I thought she was too much of a rebel, outside-the-system person for white pearls. I should have gotten the black. Ugh! (that's why I'm thinking of it now).

I think perfect roundness is less important and not noticed as much in a longer strand, so AA+ quality would probably be just fine. Maybe something like below, in either white, black (black are dyed, but it's permanent and they're gorgeous. I have a long black strand and wear it constantly), or multi-colored. 7.5-8.0 mm, opera length strand, and matching stud earrings the next size up (so they don't look like just another pearl from the strand) and AAA (round) on the earrings. It's more noticeable there than on the necklace. I'd get the gold in whatever she usually wears, if you notice a preference, or to match her wedding rings, if she wears them. Now that would be a showy gift!

I trust Pearl Paradise, The Pearl Outlet, and several others (assuming you're in the U.S?). If you use Pearl Paradise chat function on their site and ask, they will email you pictures of a few strands so you can see the difference and choose from them if you want, say if you are unsure about AA+ vs. AAA grade, or if you want to see the color variations and pick it out yourself. (I'd use the chat function because if you use email sometimes they can't get back to you as quickly). If you get any modifications, though, such as in length, then I'd ask first because that might make it a "custom" order and not fully refundable.

I'm thinking maybe something like these- Maybe white if she seems the classic, formal, maybe straight-and-narrow type. After all, the whites are the classic. Black if she seems more, I dunno, sophisticated or edgy or if she wears a lot of black. The multi-colored pastels, if she wears a lot of fun stuff or pastel colors (they remind me of summertime). They also have pink/peach or lavender but the other choices seem to me more versatile, more likely to go with anything or anyone, kinda. (?)

http://www.pearlparadise.com/35inch-7580-mm-Black-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3489.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/35inch-7580-mm-Multicolor-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3492.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/35inch-7580-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace961.aspx

Edited to add: If I had to pick and knew nothing about the person, I'd get the black. I love that peacock overtone thing they do with them. If she was young, I'd probably figure get her the basics, but at 70 if she doesn't have them, (again, having nothing else to go on) I'd think maybe having the basic white pearl set might not be her thing. I have both and I wear the black more, I find them more interesting. I also have some multis. Not sure why, but I'm just not crazy about them. Anyway, for what it's worth. :)

That's all I got. Show us what you get! Oh, also, I don't work for PP or anything. I've just found them trustworthy, helpful and having a huge selection. I just like to shop but already spent my own pearl money. :( Good luck with it!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just one recommendation without knowing your MIL-- I think the following would please a great many women and it's available in different sizes and quality. It has a diamond to suit the gemstone lover, it will fit any earlobe size and is both classy yet a little different (not a plain stud):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Brilliant-Collection-Akoya-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings3746.aspx

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock

Wow! Thank you so much for the replies, seaurchin and pearlsngems!!!

I am glad to hear input about sizes and freshwater vs akoyas. Very helpful.

seaurchin I think we are probably on the same boat in terms of pearl size. I have a set of white and black studs -- i guess akoyas? tahitians? -- plus little diamond studs (.4 ~ .5ct each. i don't in truth know) which are workhorses for me. I think the pearls are in the 7 -8 range. My mom has some gigantor ones which I assumed were more in the 10-11 territory. But my sizing sense is based on almost nothing, in truth. I know ears and piercing locations are not uniform, but fwiw my studs still show a tiny bit of ear around the sides, whereas I don't think you can see anything with my moms. That sounds about right, in terms of sizing, right?

That said, I have no clue about pearl sizes for longer lengths, so it's good to get a feel for what people would think is "appropriate" for a 70 year old Chinese lady. :D I think the opera length are beautiful. She usually wears long-ish pendants though. As a person who wears longer length pearls, do you find that you also prefer pendants of the longish variety also?

Also, great point about style! She's what I might call "midwestern classic" -- by which I mean, she's fond of Talbots or Ann Taylor, more than, say, Brooks Brothers. So, classic but not preppy? Something like that. She has a penchant for turquoise colored clothes in the summers, but I note she is more a jewel tone person in general. I guess that does sound like she would fit the black colors better, huh?

I am also deeply appreciative of your sense of the impressive-ness of the gift, as I'd also like to have a bit of "symbolic" or "show" value, as it were.

pearlsngems: Those ARE lovely earrings, and you're right that the little bezel diamonds make them a little different, and a little special. These are a great candidate, too, b/c even though I love the classic simplicity of studs, I'm not sure she shares my enthusiasm. Do you think they still look "classic" enough on the ear? Or, I guess I"m wondering if it seems like they are classic enough so that even if it's not something she would pick out to buy herself, she would still be able to wear. . . I know you don't know her, but you know what i mean! :mrgreen: Also, what size would you recommend, or get if you were in my position?

finally I was wondering what people thought of the metallic freshwaters. At first I thought they sounded flashy, but in fact the ones at PP seem interesting and beautiful. . . But it's hard to tell these things on-line. I did follow a PS thread about them, and everyone seemed to really like their look (though I guess on that thread there was some issue with roundness).??

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and thoughts!! :appl:

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock

oops also, would it be weird to mix the metallic freshwater earrings, say, with a reg freshwater necklace?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mama_monkey|1358793037|3361012 said:
pearlsngems: Those ARE lovely earrings, and you're right that the little bezel diamonds make them a little different, and a little special. These are a great candidate, too, b/c even though I love the classic simplicity of studs, I'm not sure she shares my enthusiasm. Do you think they still look "classic" enough on the ear? Or, I guess I"m wondering if it seems like they are classic enough so that even if it's not something she would pick out to buy herself, she would still be able to wear. . . I know you don't know her, but you know what i mean! :mrgreen: Also, what size would you recommend, or get if you were in my position?...

I'd get the AAA quality for sure; within your budget, give or take a few dollars, you could get either the 8-8.5mm or 8.5-9mm.

About the metallic FW earrings, if you go that route, phone to see if they can match the earrings with a necklace. I would not expect them to be a good match otherwise.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

I think you're right about the sizes, MM. I wear 7-7.5 mm studs for everyday and right, some of my ear shows around them. 10mm are big and showy, my ear does not show. The problem I have with my 10mm studs is it seems earrings always come with little bitty backs, and the big ones droop. Maybe 8.5 or 9.0mm would be a good compromise. Of course, if they are danglies, then I guess that wouldn't be a problem.

I usually don't often wear pendants but after you said that I realized the ones I do have do tend to be long. Hmm, I never thought of that before.

The only thing about metallic earrings and a regular strand, for a gift and especially if they come in a presentation box together, it might make the strand look not as good by comparison or make them not look like a "set." I don't know though, just a thought. If you ask when you order, though I'm sure they'd try to match the overtones, anyway, on metallic earrings and a regular strand (rose, silver, or ivory).

I've heard the same thing you have about the metallics, that they are to die for but a bit off-round on the strands. Then again, an opera length AA+ strand would be a bit off round too. Mine are a bit off-round but especially with the long ones, it's not noticeable from just a couple of feet away. Also, strangely, both of my dyed black AA strands seem rounder than my AA white ones. I would even say the blacks look perfectly round. I have a short 10mm black strand and long (64 inch) 8mm black. And whites about the same sizes and quality (I am very bad and have lots of pearls). Not sure if it's like that every time or just coincidence, or if it's an optical illusion with the darker pearls. (?) I think the metallic whites probably look kinda like akoyas, sharp luster but not weirdly gaudy or anything, lol.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

My first thought was to get a strand of the metallic freshwater whites from pearl paradise. I love mine.
They are a bit pricey though, and you would have to call to make sure you get a really good strand as they have just had the debut sale. Get them to email pictures first to see if you are OK with everything.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4510.aspx

Then I read a little more and thought a Tahitian tin cup would be both classic and unusual, and also be a showy gift.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Graduated-Tahitian-Pearl-Tin-Cup-Necklace-Pearl-size-80-115-mm2241.aspx

Goldens?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Golden-South-Sea-Baroque-Pearl-Tin-Cup-Necklace-Pearl-size-90115-mm-on-14k-Gold4038.aspx

Good luck!

_3243.jpg

_3244.jpg

_3245.jpg

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock

Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth there -- had some problems logging on, and also some snafus/disagreements about what to get the MIL. . .

Thanks JaneSmith, seaurchin, pearlsngems! Everyone's suggestions were so, so beautiful! I wore my tahitian pearl studs again (as usual) the other day with a newfound appreciation for their awesomely classic look and their versatility. Yet even as I was being reminded of how great pearls are, the hubs and BIL/SIL were all against the pearl idea. ;(

It's my own fault -- we hadn't discussed what to get her yet, and I just took the initiative, not at all expecting a unanimous mutiny! :-o

Anyways, I regrouped and found instead a lovely diamond cross pendant. I have to admit, she is more of a gem/diamond person and the cross would carry more significance for her, so i do think it was the right call...

In the meantime I have gotten my mom interested in CC's stuff, so if I get something for her in the near future, I will be sure to post!

So, apologies for wasting your time! :((
And many thanks for everyone's generosity. :wavey:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock

Hey, I'm sure she will love her new pendant. From what you described in the beginning, that is a safer bet. Posts like this are never a waste of time. You have a new love for your own pearls and gave us all something fun to comment on - it is a discussion board after all! Hope the party goes well and you stick around and get more addicted to pearls.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

it was NOT a waste of time.
i found the thread informative.
and i think you got info that you'll use one day....i know i will.

mama_monkey

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the kind comments,mynattk and movie_zombie! :D

Truly, PSers are the most gracious folks around!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results