shape
carat
color
clarity

Round or Drop Pearls for These Earrings?

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of diamond studs which are set into bezels and can be worn alone or with a pair of halo earring jackets. The halo jackets bling up the diamonds quite a bit, but for really special occasions, I (like lots of other posters here recently, it seems!) have been wanting to add a pair of pearl drops to them. I'd rather use a jump-ring kind of set-up vs a pinstem style because I want the pearls to really dangle and not be in a fixed position. Anyway, I'm attaching a pic of my haloed studs - what kind of pearls would you choose to go with these? Round or Drop? For rounds, I could do AAA freshwaters. For drops, I could do either freshwaters or South Seas. (Please excuse the messy hair and such - I was sick and just took a quick pic.)

dsc_57.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty earrings. The halo gives a nice defined look to the center stone.

I'd go with round pearls as that would match the shape of the center and halo stones. Also, want to add that you may want to go with larger mm pearls so that they're either equal or wider than mm diameter of your studs with halo. I have different mm studs and smaller ones look better with my pearl dangles.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Love your earrings!

I went with South seas for my drops:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-drops-from-diamond-halo-studs.189774/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-drops-from-diamond-halo-studs.189774/[/URL]

They were made to fit another pair of earrings but they work well with my diamond ones too. I went with the pinstem style drop because I didn't want to see much metal (or as little as possible). I bought my pearls from Pearl Society - to give you an idea the centre stones are half a carat each and measure approximately 5mm and the Australian South Sea Pearls measure 14.5 x 13.2mm and 14.2 x 13.2mm. That should give you an idea on size and if you like the proportions, what to aim for.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and mine look more round than drop, but I was open to both - these ones were the right price and really spoke to me when I saw them.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat, your earrings are exactly what I had in mind when I was describing the proportions. Couldn't remember who's they were to link up. So pretty and great for dressy occasions :love:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
tara3056 -- Thank you for giving me the language: jump-ring versus pinstem. I vote for jump-ring with big drops for your beautiful studs!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
um, get both?! so depending on your mood and the look you want you change it?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1371191322|3465638 said:
um, get both?! so depending on your mood and the look you want you change it?

That sounds like a great idea to me :wavey:

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
LOL, you enablers you! "Get both!" Well, I just bought a matching diamond pendant, so my budget won't accommodate that right now. I'd previously been leaning towards drop-shaped pearls, but now am thinking the "roundness" of my earrings might look better with rounder pearls. If I could find something like misskittycat's pearls (which are still quite roundish), that might be perfect. I've had a look at Pearl Society's ebay page and haven't had anything jump right out at me just yet. There's one pair I'm kind of drawn to, though. I need to measure the total diameter of my jackets tonight so as to be sure to get larger pearls!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
tara3056, I was initially inspired by these earrings that Princess Mary sometimes wears: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Princess+Mary/Danish+Royal+Family+Celebrates+Queen+Margrethe/m-BFj7YDhQ_ But I couldn't find any drop shaped pearls like that that I really loved. I wanted to go classic with this pair. These ones are on jump rings because I have seen them swing in TV footage. They look divine!

Do you have an image of how the jump ring would wort with your earrings? I discussed it with my jeweller briefly but it was pretty clear we both preferred the post option so I didn't pursue it any further. I am curious to know!

I'm not sure where you live, but another option is to find a pearl retailer and go in and look how your earrings look with different shaped pearls. I discovered last week Autore here in Sydney have stacks of loose pearls that you can go in and play with to see what works in terms of shape and colour! They are all south seas however. Not sure if you have anything like that close to you?

I found another fabulous pair that were very round and regular recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGANTIC-14mm-WHITE-DROP-Australian-South-Sea-Loose-Pearl-Undrilled-A-PAIR/330931911544?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D8063675764225773092%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251041992474%26 they went for a very good price. I would keep my eye open on this seller too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results