shape
carat
color
clarity

Project Pearl Bracelet - Any suggestions?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I have been trying to make this bracelet for over a year now. I'm looking to make this bead the center of my bracelet. So I thought it would be easy since I used to make jewelry 15 years ago but things have changed so much. All the finding are cheap in the stores now. I still have a lot of material from those days but nothing that will work for this project. I went to a bead store and found some strands of pearls to use but later found out they were not real. I really wanted to make a shamballa style bracelet with pearls but I need some help with where to find real pearls and what color to use. I am open to any ideas. It doesn't have to be a shamballa bracelet. I just want a pearl bracelet with the bead as the centerpiece.

This bead is rose gold so my question is: What color pearls would look best with it? Peachy pinkish is what I was thinking but is there a specific name for that color in pearls? Should I do just one color? Or two colors that look well together? I really want this for everyday but can you wear pearls everyday? I originally wanted to do an elastic bracelet but the clerk at the bead store didn't think it was a good idea because the bead is gold and diamonds and she worried about the elastic breaking. Is there a better quality elastic or is silk better for pearls? My other question is can the holes in pearls be drilled bigger? Because that is my main issue, Im finding the pearls hole too small to thread. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of needle?

Stringing pearls is really new to me but really enjoyed making jewelry in the past. And since my youngest will start school full time in the fall, I really want to get back into making jewelry again. So I appreciate any information or suggestions you can give me. Thanks so much ~d

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1366943190.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Project Pearl Bracelet - Any suggestions?

I use PowerPro, a synthetic thread, which is waterproof and very strong. It comes only in white and moss green (which works fine with black pearls). See Artbeads.com for a source. It comes in various strength but 20# is average size for normal size pearl holes. Use a fine wire needle -- it is flexible and very slender.

You can buy a hand-held drill for very little-- mine was $15 from a seller on eBay. But you may not need to drill the holes larger.

Cultured freshwater pearls are fine for everyday wear.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Charmed One,
I love the idea of your rose gold/diamond bead and large pearls on a bracelet!

I buy my silk prestrung into a very thin needle made of fine wire. It's $3 a package and comes in multiple widths. Or you can buy the needle separately as pearlsngems suggests.
Any decent bead store should have it. That way you don't have to worry about drilling bigger holes (which could lead to breaking a pearl!). Silk is much stronger than elastic, but still can break! I run the silk through all my pearls once and then go around again and knot to make them stronger.

Is your bead about 10mm? I'm guessing that the large round pearl beads you found for sale were shell pearls.

I think that colour combinations of pearls very much depends on your personal taste.

I would personally try it with two colours. I'm very partial to pink/grey combinations. I think that bead would look great with coral coloured pearls and dark grey ones! Just my two cents.

Good luck and keep us posted!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I will look into those sources. I haven't been able to reply on tapatalk which is what I use to access this forum so hopefully they fix it soon. Thanks again ~d

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I love the bead!
Just thought I'd suggest trying it with an ivory/yellow tinted pearl. I think it would be lovely w/ RG.
Can't wait to see pics when it's done.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I was just at downtown Disney at Disneyworld. The pearl kiosk there was filled with rose gold and pearls. Most were set with chocolate pearls. It is a great pair if you like dyed pearls.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you ladies! I am looking for a jeweler that carries pearls near me. I'm no having much luck at all. I will check to see if there are any in Maryland. I was thinking of taking the bead with me and holding it up next to some different color pearls and see which ones look best. I do want to do two different colors. That I know for sure. I am learning how to string now and it's an adventure. Thanks again ~d

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results