shape
carat
color
clarity

Overdid it maybe?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
This weekend I visited the Bay Area Bead Extravaganza, BABE, and took a pearl knotting class. Fun!!! After class, I went down to the show and :shock: I THOUGHT I was restraining myself. You be the judge...these are the pearls only, not the chains and findings.

I also have to say the more I learn about natural colored luxury and boutique pearls the more expensive my wishlist becomes yet my pocket book stays the same. That said, I have a weakness for dyed peacock freshwater pearls and Wendy at East West Best had this really fun and crazy necklace of all different sizes and shapes layered several times in some sort of long wild lariat. It looked fantastic on her and I was inspired to try to recreate the look. But now I have so many pearls the possibilities are endless. The first photo shows all the strands, and the others are just different views of the same pearls.

pb050042__800x600_.jpgpb050040__800x600_.jpgpb050076__800x727_.jpgpb050071__649x800_.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I like the faceted pearls more than I expected. They could be my favorites. The loose pearls in the last photo are souvenirs from my visit to Kojima Pearl. I could have just spent all my money there, lol.

pb050066__800x563_.jpgpb050027__800x600_.jpg
pb050061__800x600_.jpg

So, I hear of people getting $1-$2 strands of pearls and those just didn't exist. Unless you bargain? It seemed like it would be in poor taste so I didn't try. There were deals to be had, but overall things seemed moderately priced, or just below retail. I haven't added up my totals. Don't want to. :oops:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
So much fun! I'm getting obsessed with pearls. Dangerous!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, bluebirrrd! You're so lucky to have been able to go to that show-- thank you for sharing with pics.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have only to look at my pile of pearl strands to understand completely what you did. My projects slowed down once I got full employment again, but I still plan to string them when I find some spare time.

Enjoy your pretties, and please come back with some of your finished projects. You may well inspire more of us to get to work and do some stringing ourselves. :wavey:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, babynurse, I do feel lucky to have gone to the show. It was a bit out of the way for me, but worth it.

FlyGirl, thanks for understanding, lol. I actually did okay I think, as I've designed projects for the supplies I got and don't think anything will go unused.

Rosebloom, yes, like everything on PS pearls are addicting. There are many price points though, which makes them seem a little more accessible.

Seaurchin, at first I was a little intimidated by all the pearls I brought home, but I dove in and yes it was fun!

Here's what I made (different looks using the same piece)...48" long, strung on PowerPro with no clasp. The pearls have actually settled a little and there are a couple of other little things I'd like to correct. I'll have to restring it to get it just right, but I do need the practice. I used half the pearls to make the lariat and still have half of them left over.

pb110036__630x800_.jpgpb110027__606x800_.jpgpb110033__636x800_.jpgpb110048__579x800_.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the way you wear them in the first pic. I can see them work both with dresses and jeans :love:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the faceted pearls as well. That is one of the benefits of solid nacre pearls-- I don't have any myself yet though.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love it off to the side, like the second picture.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, 4Ranchgirl. You have amazing pearl style!

Erin, nicer faceted pearls seem really hard to find. Now that I know I like them, I'm on the lookout for more. Most are very lumpy looking :knockout:

GreenBling, that's the one my husband prefers. I wore them that way yesterday with jeans!

Lady Disdain, thank you so much. Today I'm going with the bracelet.

I think I should find some sort of connector ring to tie them off instead of actually tying them. Sometime's it's difficult to undo the knots.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bluebirrrd|1352742759|3304311 said:
I think I should find some sort of connector ring to tie them off instead of actually tying them. Sometime's it's difficult to undo the knots.

I like versatility in my jewelry as well. I use little S hooks, sliding one side between two pearls at the point I want on one strand and the other, between pearls in a different position of the same strand or a different one.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to come back and show the second piece made from my BABE stash. I got 3 little rosebud pearls from Kojima Pearl at the show and then decided I needed more of them to go with the chain I picked up there, so Sarah graciously sent more. Sadly, the chain is silver plated. Solid silver would have cost an arm and a leg. Most of it is duroplate, which is supposed to be thicker than standard plating. I hope it wears well because I like how it turned out.

pb200038__800x600_.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
There are very nice facetted freshwater pearls in Pearl Paradises vault right now. I think Nacre Lover posted a picture of them on the thread "My latest trip to PP" my son took the picture early November when I was there. Call them and ask about them and they can send you a picture of what they have available.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
You're quite the enabler Lucy, or are you Ethel? :cheeky:

Are these the ones you mean?
pp19.jpg

Do they qualify as klonks or Wilma pearls, because that's what they remind me of. To me, they look like pearls formed around a faceted bead instead of rounds or ovals that were faceted after being removed from the mussel. There's a transparent, somewhat trippy look that the second type have.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1352745159|3304428 said:
bluebirrrd|1352742759|3304311 said:

I like versatility in my jewelry as well. I use little S hooks, sliding one side between two pearls at the point I want on one strand and the other, between pearls in a different position of the same strand or a different one.

Thank you for this, Lady D! Brilliant solution :)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
bluebirrrd|1353711352|3313630 said:
You're quite the enabler Lucy, or are you Ethel? :cheeky:

Are these the ones you mean?
pp19.jpg

Do they qualify as klonks or Wilma pearls, because that's what they remind me of. To me, they look like pearls formed around a faceted bead instead of rounds or ovals that were faceted after being removed from the mussel. There's a transparent, somewhat trippy look that the second type have.
I am usually Lucy but NL is stepping up at times to drag me along. :lol: As a pair we are just like pearl twins...what one doesn't think of the other one does.

Yes that is the picture I had in mind. In July at the RUCKUS there were others but just not as nice. These have facetted beads for the nucleolus. I really liked them. They are not small little pearls but sorry I do not have the mm size.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Very cool pieces!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results