shape
carat
color
clarity

Olive oil on pearls ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Did you ever of putting olive oil on pearls to shine them up a bit? Is this o.k.?

Thanks.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Not unless I was making a pearl salad
38.gif

I''ve never heard of that and as far as I know you are just supposed to wipe them with a soft cloth. I just received a special cloth from Pearl Paradise and it says to only use that.
The shine comes from luster so I don''t think olive oil is going to help with that. The pearl guide forum says the best thing to do is just wear them and let your natural oils coat the pearls.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t do it; the instructions that came with my pearls say to wipe them with a soft cloth everytime you wear them because our skin leaves oils on them. ditto to plethora23 on the luster.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I too looked at the Pearl Guide forum and opinions were mixed on olive oil. The one thing they did agree on was that if you were going to do it, use the very lightest colored oil you could find and only leave it on for a couple of minutes before wiping it off w/ a chamois cloth.

Another idea I read on there was to rub the pearls across your forehead as that area has the highest concentration of body oil and that could speed up the body oil issues.

I love wearing mine so will probably just keep doing so to bring life back to them.

Julie

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmn interesting! I think I might try on some cheap old pearls to see if anything happens, but I definitely would not try it on anything that I loved or paid a lot for!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard this too. I bought my Tahitians in Kauai at a high end jewelry store. The sales lady told me to use the lightest olive oil I could find and wipe it off. She also told me not to wipe it with a cloth too much as this would eventually ruin the luster. She also told me, I could wipe the pearls against my forehead.

One thing she did say, was to never wear perfumed body lotion against your skin, or perfume on your neck, then wear the pearls. This could destroy the pearls.

I have been doing what she said for 10 years and my pearls are still highly lustrous.

I hope she gave me the correct information.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 2:03:21 AM
Author: Linda W
I have heard this too. I bought my Tahitians in Kauai at a high end jewelry store. The sales lady told me to use the lightest olive oil I could find and wipe it off. She also told me not to wipe it with a cloth too much as this would eventually ruin the luster. She also told me, I could wipe the pearls against my forehead.

One thing she did say, was to never wear perfumed body lotion against your skin, or perfume on your neck, then wear the pearls. This could destroy the pearls.

I have been doing what she said for 10 years and my pearls are still highly lustrous.

This sounds odd to me since the point of wiping the pearls with a damp cloth is to get your body oils/acid, lotion, etc. off the pearls.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 6:29:43 AM
Author: brightlight

This sounds odd to me since the point of wiping the pearls with a damp cloth is to get your body oils/acid, lotion, etc. off the pearls.

This is natural body oils, before putting any moisturizers on.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I used to roll my pearls against my forehead--but you have to be carerful with make-up--foundations can discolor the string!

cheers--Sharon

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 431px">Date: 6/17/2009 10:42:27 AM

Date: 6/17/2009 6:29:43 AM
Author: brightlight

This is natural body oils, before putting any moisturizers on.
When you wipe the pearls with a damp cloth, you are cleaning them of the dirt, acid, lotion, etc that the body collects during the day. The body oil, as Linda says, when clean of moisturizers, perfumes, cosmetics, etc are very good for pearls. Pearls do need some degree of oil / moisture on a regular basis. This is why it is not a good idea to store pearls in a bank storage vault.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results