shape
carat
color
clarity

Not so fast, those aren't ugly after all

c langston

Shiny_Rock
My little ugly duckling pearls arrived and I turned my nose up when I opened the package they had been shipped in. My initial reaction was, "what color is that?" The were not really pink, not really purple, certainly not white, not a color that made me let out a spontaneous Oooooooo. I know myself well enough that I have to live with something a few days before I know If returning it is the right thing to do, especially because there was nothing wrong with the pearls other than I was disappointed in the color. The light played well off of them...but they were still a color that I would NEVER have picked out. They are 2 strands of smallish Kasumi type 10.5 mm, AA++, not very expensive so at least maybe I could find a project that would be a suitable gift. The return postage would cost as much as the pearls were to begin with so I decided to keep them and just to something simple, a 30 inch over the head (no clasp) necklace. I was trying to take photos of them and of course I can never get a decent photo, or have the lighting just right.

I needed to run a few errands, take hubby out to lunch and put the stand I had just finished on, maybe different light would make me think differently. It hit me what color they were when I put them on with a pair of khaki Capri pants, they were a light color khaki with the brownish/mushroom tone to them. After the third compliment I was feeling pretty good about my ugly pearls, maybe it just took people by surprise such a casual look with 30 inches of pearls dangling. I think I will be keeping these, khaki is a staple in my wardrobe...and these will do just fine!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
C Langston, talk about a tease! I (dare I say WE) demand photos as soon as humanely possible! I want to meet the newest member of your pearl family!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Ok, ok but I'm just warning you that the light, the quality will be REALLY limited in this photo. E for effort, on my photography skills.

I may have to restring them with a bit more care next go at it, maybe even a real clasp.

_7950.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
My initial impression is that I like the length and mm (from what I can tell) and the color is lighter than I was imagining. Def not an " ugly duckling). I'm looking forward to more pictures. Thanks for the quick picture taking!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I really did 'try' to get some pictures on Sunday while puttering around here. I just wasn't happy with the results of the photo's I took on Sunday, but here it is none the less. I guess that is why it was so hard for me to define the color right off the bat, I have strands of pinks to compare them with, purples, champagnes, cream, whites with different color over tones. One of the photo's I took was with the little pond slime kasumi like pearls that I did earlier this year, which are much darker than the new strand. Odd little buggers, I don't know if the light play on them helps or hinders getting a fix on the color.

_7954.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
More photos please :wavey: I love their interesting texture and shape!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@c langston: What colour were they described as? And did they have glamour shots? But if they were inexpensive and matches your khakis. I would say that you got a good buy! The pendant looks very interesting. ;-)

P.S. Maybe pics against white kitchen paper towels? Think with neutral colour as background the colours may come out better.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
These are the most recent projects that I had close at hand just for color comparisons. Far left are the light pink rosebuds that I'm still working on, second from the left then there is some smooth bright pink baroques, then third from the left the ??/khaki color kasumi type that are about the same color intensity as the pinks but to my eye not pink, fourth from the left are the small pond slime kasumi like, fifth from the left are the blue/grey with pink over tones, sixth from the left is thready whites very long strand 36 inch strand, seventh from the left is the Love'em wild small multi-color nucleated baroques, and far right are some oblate purples. Photo's never do the real item justice when I'm behind the camera. Although none of these strands are really high quality, they are certainly fun and not much more expensive than some costume jewelry...they make me happy. If I keep practicing knotting and get good, maybe I jump up to the next tier in quality for my own collection, my nieces sure hope so (they love my old hand me overs).

I have some 14 x16mm very high luster white hedgehogs coming in soon (copy is a form of flattery *note to Mrs. Taylor).

Icy jade I can try another photo against a white background. LOL inexpensive pearls rarely come with glamour shots, the color as was originally described as pink/purple. When they arrived pink/purple description was off, way off by my eye.

Thanks will try to get some white background shots later.

_7955.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow,wow,wow! I think they all look great. If you can string and they are not expensive -- what's not to love?!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, they're kind of mushroom-y! VERY cool color. They're super pretty. And yes, I too would love to see them on a white background!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
OK, still not happy with being able to get the full effect or color, but it's about a good as it's going to get. Light pink rosebuds on the left, the new strand of kasumi like light ?? color, purples on the right.

_7961.jpg

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I did find a strand that comes close, doing a Google search *(monitor color disclaimer yada-yada).

What my eye is seeing is a "light copper/grey" which I suppose could translate to peachy (with a smidge less yellow). Mother nature has a color palate larger than Sherwin-Williams, I should just relax and enjoy them. Not everything fits into a typical or nice neat color category.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Hi CL, they look peach-lavender to me, with some hinting copper and others hinting lilac. I know what you mean about those in between colors though so I may not be seeing them like you. I think they're very pretty, and I LOVE! what you did with your rosebuds!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Pattye & bluebirrrd for your comments. The rosebuds are a struggle I'm still not happy with the different projects so far and they will all most likely be redone here shortly. I just ordered about a dozen different fancy clasps maybe that will make me happy with them. Things have gotten busier around here less time for projects (plus drag out & put up time in between). The fat hedgehogs should be here any day now 14x16mm I hope the luster is as promised.

Hubby has a progressive neurological disorder so this whole jewelry thing is my way of blocking off a little "me" time. I went from a blistering speed of working in the stockbrokerage biz and I loved that pace, I'm now a full time caregiver. I did telecommute for 2 years and initially that worked very well, as the needs & distractions became more frequent it was clear I had a new full time job right here at home. Sometimes the pearl projects have to take their proper place in the priorities around here.

Any day spent knotting is a good day!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow, pearls help in so very many ways. Thinking of you.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Pearls around the neck and something pretty underneath those same old blue jeans can make a gal feel Pretty Good *chuckle*.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely pearl projects and they take on a new meaning that makes them even more so. I found pearls can have a calming and centering effect. I send you and your hubby good thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results