shape
carat
color
clarity

News Pearls Are Peeling

fluffypants

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I love this forum and have learned a lot from everyone. I really enjoy gawking at everyone's beautiful pearl purchases as well. I recently bought a pearl necklace from a local jewelry store, but when I got home, I noticed three of the pearls are peeling near the drill hole. All three pearls are the at the back of the necklace near the clasp. Is this normal for freshwater cultured pearls or should I return the necklace? I'm happy about the size and luster but the peeling is disheartening for my first pearl necklace. Thanks for any input!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a photo of the pearls and the peeling area? Freshwater pearls are all nacre most of the time so they shouldn't peel. Did you buy Akoya pearls?

fluffypants

Rough_Rock
The sales associate said they were freshwater. I paid $340 for the necklace including tax. It was hard to take photo of the peeling but these were the best I could manage. Please excuse my ugly nails! :oops:

IMG_7190_0.jpg

I like the color and luster overall though.
IMG_8496.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye gave you very good advice. Return them, the sooner the better. If they are akoya they will not hold up to much wear and freshwater are all nacre.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Pattye over at Pearl Guide also. You never know the length of time your pearls were growing. These must have been pulled too soon. Return them while you can.

fluffypants

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone, I am definitely going to return ASAP. Hope it goes well.

fluffypants

Rough_Rock
Ah It turns out the jewelry store put a drop of glue at those two knots. I looked at it with the magnifying glass and the knots did look shiny compared to the rest of the knots. She washed the glue residue off and apologize profusely. I'm glad because the store was really nice and honest before.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
edit: sorry I misread the thread, its monday. :oops: :oops:

Strange that they would miss that much glue. Glad to hear they just needed to be cleaned up, sometimes its just something simple.

Morrisphill

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry but a few people seem to be misinformed about something... These are Cultured Pearls, they are not 100% nacre... Only natural and not cultured...Not cultured meaning a human didn't physically stick a foreign object to start the process... I work at an oyster bar. I shuck oysters everyday, and i just found a pearl today!!!! :) My boss told me he has been there for 10 years and still hasnt seen one or heard of anyone finding one... It is 14mm long and 4mm wide. I live in Wilmington Nc, where we get our oysters from beds in the ocean. these beds are leased out from the government.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi
Tissue cultured freshwater pearls are all nacre Morrisphill. Growth of the pearl is triggered by the implant of a tiny piece of nacre tissue which grows to form a sac. Nacre producing cells are on the inside of the sac and these produce a pearl.
You are partly right though, in that some pearls - South Sea, Tahitian, akoya and now some larger freshwater pearls are started with asliver of nacre AND a bead.
With pearls grown around a bead the problems come if they are short grown - obviously the farmer wants them harvested as quickly as possible. Some Akoya especially are so short grown that the nacre does not even cover the beads properly or is so thin it wears away.
Beware of too-cheap akoya pearls. There are many about in the market at the moment. They look lovely and shiny.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the forum Morfisphill. I don't remember hearing from restaurant oyetershuckers here before. It must have taken quite a bit of reading to find this thread which is 20 months old. I do like your find. What are you going to do with it?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Nacrelover, for reminding me of my manners....Welcome to the forum Morrisphill. Can you take a new photo of your find - on a paper towel tends to work well, and with a macro setting and natural light (no flash as it swamps detail)
I remember chatting to someone here doing a similar job and he said they found lots of little tiny bits, like small bits of grit . sometimes, but never anything substantial or pretty.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Morrisphill|1385885074|3565516 said:
I'm sorry but a few people seem to be misinformed about something... These are Cultured Pearls, they are not 100% nacre... Only natural and not cultured...Not cultured meaning a human didn't physically stick a foreign object to start the process... I work at an oyster bar. I shuck oysters everyday, and i just found a pearl today!!!! :) My boss told me he has been there for 10 years and still hasn't seen one or heard of anyone finding one... It is 14mm long and 4mm wide. I live in Wilmington Nc, where we get our oysters from beds in the ocean. these beds are leased out from the government.

Wow congratulations on finding a pearl! Who here wouldn't like to do the same!

Welcome to the pearl forum! And thanks for sharing. It would be great to see some other pictures of your pearl. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results