shape
carat
color
clarity

My version of a long rope being made:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Even before I saw The Great Gatsby, I wanted a very long rope of pearls. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and finally ordered it yesterday from PP. What I want is a very long, simple, consistent rope where the length and possible styles to wear it in is what makes it special. I also decided I wanted a clasp in case I want to wear it as a thick choker.

After consulting with Jeremy -- who recommended playing with string to see how long I want -- I decided I wanted 12 feet/144 inches. At first I thought this was a little crazy and admitted to "only" wanting 135". Then I thought, "What if I end up always wishing I had just another foot...go for what you really want!". This way I can loop the rope into five staggered lengths, amongst an endless variety of other styles.

Then I started working with Hisano and we talked about pearl sizes, total weight, using nylon/polyester versus silk for strength, clasps. Ultimately, I decided I wanted to use 6.5 to 7 mm AAA white freshwater. They have a large quantity of these so Hisano is going to try to pick the smaller ones with silver overtones (my preference). I am going with the standard solid fish hook clasp. I told her to surprise me with which gold she chooses.

So this is certainly not the most creative project -- but I am hoping it will be a lot of fun to wear with my dresses. I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I'll keep you posted...

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful. Isn't it fun to create custom jewelry at Pearl Paradise? I can't wait to see the glamor shots :appl: :appl: :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely! :appl:
I think you've it on why ropes work for many of us: versatility!

pictures will be mandatory!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh 12 feet of pearls? Wow :naughty: That is one very long rope. Sounds fun and you will be able to be so creative. I am glad you are having a clasp. My first 100 inch rope did not have one and I regreted it. Please share photos of all the ways you will wear it.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I've asked for photos of the process -- so Hisano won't start making it until their photographer returns from vacation later next week. So I'll report back in about a week!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1368813337|3449122 said:
Oh 12 feet of pearls? Wow :naughty: That is one very long rope. Sounds fun and you will be able to be so creative. I am glad you are having a clasp. My first 100 inch rope did not have one and I regreted it. Please share photos of all the ways you will wear it.

Wow, does that mean you have more than one? Do you have a thread with your 100" rope? I'm excited to see the 144" and the ways to wrap it around the neck. When they are that long, are they heavy?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NonieMarie|1368925081|3449766 said:
4Ranch Girl|1368813337|3449122 said:

Wow, does that mean you have more than one? Do you have a thread with your 100" rope? I'm excited to see the 144" and the ways to wrap it around the neck. When they are that long, are they heavy?
:lol: Ok I'm busted :naughty: Yes, I have pink, lavender, AAA white and a dyed black all freshwater strands. I did have one more of 6 - 7mm white freshwaters but with no clasp that I had a diamond clasp added that made it a triple strand an a triple strand bracelet with matching clasp. One Halloween I decided to go as a Pearl queen and wore them all at the same time plus a couple of opera length strands.... I only made it an hour and half before my neck was killing me and had to take most of them off.

naria

Shiny_Rock
I find that is my sad fate whenever I play pearl queen, but it's totally worth it. :) Congrats on the strand. Hisano mentioned this project and it should be exciting to see it come to life when you post pics.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
There is a little delay since I asked for pictures, and the photographer is on vacation this week. Hisano said she is sorting the pearls while waiting. Since I have some waiting time to ruminate -- I am wondering if I should put in another clasp for more flexibility? Will I, say, at 75 years of age, want to wear 12 feet of pearls?

In white, I currently have:

-- a lovely, simple 16" necklace my parents bought for me in Hong Kong decades ago (what gorgeous knotting!) -- I no longer wear it, too small and simple for my current taste -- and my silly teen daughter won't wear it.

-- an 18" graduated (old school-style, but new) akoya strand with quite small pearls (the knotting between each small pearl left the necklace "wrinkled" so I find I don't wear it, sadly).

-- my magnificent 9 to 9.5mm hanadama 26" (which I plan to wear to dinner tonight!)

So, do I commit to the full 144" (I've practiced upcoming "styles" with string and yes, I need the 144") with one clasp -- or should I be more practical and put in another clasp or two for versatility?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with the extra clasps for added versatility, definitely. Possibly the clasps that are made from drilled out pearls so they wouldn't even show. 144" is a dream rope that personally I'd absolutely love to have but at the same time couldn't see myself wearing all that often. And, as you mentioned, there is always the possibility that with age, or even just having it on for more than a couple of hours at a time, it would hurt your neck to wear the whole thing at once. It sounds like what you basically have that you wear is the just the 26" strand of akoyas. So, why not get a few other length choices from this one? Maybe you could even wear part of it on your wrist and have a bracelet too. :wink2:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
seaurchin -- thanks for the comments. I think you are right. So now I'm trying to figure out how many clasps and how long each section should be. I'll see what Hisano recommends... I've never had a pearl bracelet!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mystery clasps are wonderful. It sure would be great not to have the clasp interrupt your design.

mysterypp.gif

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover -- mystery clasps state they are to be used for 7.5mm or larger. Mine is being made from 6.5 to 7mm...

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
:cry: Well, shoot.

I have two ropes, one without a clasp the other three clasps. I don't like seeing the clasps so I don't wear it. I am going to take it apart and remove them. If you come up with something that doesn't show much please tell us.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
would their matte brushed ball clasp interrupt the design flow too much when worn at its full length?

c langston

Shiny_Rock
On long pearl rope necklaces, why do they even need a clasp? I have two that simply slip over my head, leave enough silk to double back on both sides (say 3 to 5 pearls) much like doubling back where the clasp is knotted.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
It's true that a rope doesn't need a clasp at all. I want the ability to make a thick choker out of the rope and can't get it that short around my
neck without a clasp.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Movie zombie that is what I use to hold my long twisted strands in a choker (silver, 14K). We need a thumbs up smiley icon, or a polite nod :appl: .

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
also, Jeremy at PP told me he thinks ropes with a fastener are more versatile.......yes, I too have become rope crazy but for me its going to be black dyed freshwater pearls...... and I had not thought about having various lengths joined with a fastener to form the rope! great idea for multi use.

this is the clasp I like: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Ball-Clasp-Matte-Finish-14K-Gold227.aspx

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie -- that is exactly the clasps Hisano and I are emailing about right now!

I'll let everyone know the final decision.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
OK here are my 2 cents...... Order and recieve the 144 inch rope with one clasp, play with it awhile and see how you like it because it is really what you want. If for some reason it is to heavy, to long, or you want more versatility send it back and have more clasps put in so you will have various lengths strands. Having the longest strand made now means all the pearls will match color wise and you can take some out later for shorter strands or bracelets.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
4Ranch Girl great 2 cents. On more than one occaision I have tried (tried) to go at a later date to find matching pearls to either extend, make earrings, make a matching bracelet. Even if it is from the same source, the natural conditions seasons later make it really difficult to match color, sheen, texture. Go long, you can always repurpose pearls but finding a match later is a pain.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and another great idea re always adding more clasps later!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I considered everyone's input and then collaborated with Hisano.

This is the decision I came to using Hisano's advice:

CLASPS: 3 clasps -- instead of solid fish hooks I'm going with ball clasps in white gold with matte finish so they'll blend in better:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Ball-Clasp-Matte-Finish-14K-Gold227.aspx

LENGTHS: Hisano offered three "plans" and we both agreed that the following plan is best:

-- 75"
-- 20" (can be a bracelet wrapped thrice -- I have small wrists)
-- 49"

The other possibilities had 4 lengths, but with two strands of similar length. This option has the least amount of clasps and the most variety in lengths.

Since Hisano is choosing the pearls for the entire 144" at the same time -- the whole strand should match very nicely (addressing the issue 4 Ranch Girl brought up).

Hisano feels the clasps can be hidden amongst all the strands of pearls if I wear the whole length. I also realized that if I don't connect them all, I can wear all three strands with the clasps in the back of my neck (knowing they'll float around like they tend to do...).

She is going to start making the rope on Friday -- so I'll post pictures when they are available.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1369150606|3451157 said:
NacreLover -- mystery clasps state they are to be used for 7.5mm or larger. Mine is being made from 6.5 to 7mm...
Instead of ball clasps, could you just have a couple of 7.5mm mystery clasps? They might blend in better. Six half millimetre bigger pearls out of twelve feet of pearls will be completely unoticable.
I'm excited to see your rope!

4RG, do you have a picture of your Halloween pearl queen outfit? Or just a group shot of your ropes with a hand nearby for reference?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith -- Hisano did not recommend mystery clasps for this project for a variety of reasons, including that the pearls she will choose for the rope are not big enough.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
4RG, do you have a picture of your Halloween pearl queen outfit? Or just a group shot of your ropes with a hand nearby for reference?

I second this request!

Can't wait to see your finished rope, bsomlo. It is going to be stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results