shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Tahitian/ SS necklace and bracelet, first time knotting!!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys!

I tried knotting my first necklace and bracelet! The french wire and I had a couple of heated arguments but we are getting along much better now lol. My hands are pretty beat up now from knotting, wow, PearlMaven makes it look so easy. I must've watched her video like 20 times. Well, it's not quite the Keira strand I was hoping for but I gained some knowledge from doing it. Going through the motions was meditative and I am looking forward to making another piece!!

_21076.jpg

_21077.jpg

_21078.jpg

_21079.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Re: My Tahitian/ SS necklace and bracelet, first time knotti

More

_21080.jpg

_21081.jpg

_21082.jpg

_21083.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

I am so impressed! Well done! I envy your ability. Wear your new pieces in health.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Great job, Elysian :clap: . Isn't it fun to create Your own pieces? And when learned to knot, You can remake Your strands again and again. Enjoy!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Great job! Now the world is your oyster. I bet you'll be tearing up more of your pearls to refashion them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great job! Beautiful necklace and bracelet! :love:
I am very impressed. Wear your new creations in health and happiness and I look forward to seeing more of your work. :appl:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

Excellent job! I love your new pieces - the effort was well worth it!!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Well done...heck of a lot better than my first attempt lol It's great fun making your own jewellery ! :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

(And I like the nails just as they are -- I hope you kept that rainbow.)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great job! I bought some supplies but haven't mustered the courage to actually try knotting.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

Very nice! I got thread last week, and am going to try this weekend ... I bet my first attempt won't be as nice as yours :) I bet you're excited to try another project; will look forward to seeing it!

Kay

Ideal_Rock

I really like your mixed baroque strand -- what a great first project! :clap:

I also think you should keep that cool manicure with the different shades of blue and green.

mapo

Shiny_Rock

Great knotting job! Your world of options really opens up when you can knot pearls.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow, you're so talented to be able to make your own necklace and bracelet. Lovely pieces :appl:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Very, very nice! I am impressed you were brave enough to knot such gorgeous pearls as your first project.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know if Pearl Maven on YouTube posts here... If you are PM, thank you for making the video!!!!

bsomlo|1407302133|3727040 said:
I am so impressed! Well done! I envy your ability. Wear your new pieces in health.

Thanks, Bsomlo! I may have opened a can of worms, being the OCD type I am I may restring them over and over again until they're just right lol.

Confection10 said:
Great job, Elysian :clap: . Isn't it fun to create Your own pieces? And when learned to knot, You can remake Your strands again and again. Enjoy!

Thanks, Confection. Yes, I am already planning for my next project! I may remake my T rope as a triple torsade. I ordered a triple clasp, but I don't know which black thread to use. What do you recommend?

NacreLover said:
Great job! Now the world is your oyster. I bet you'll be tearing up more of your pearls to refashion them.

You read my mind!

missy said:
Great job! Beautiful necklace and bracelet! :love:
I am very impressed. Wear your new creations in health and happiness and I look forward to seeing more of your work. :appl:

Thanks, missy!

pkinnew said:
Excellent job! I love your new pieces - the effort was well worth it!!!

Thanks, pkinnew! The beginnings and ends were especially difficult but I am getting the hang of it. :)

katbran said:
Well done...heck of a lot better than my first attempt lol It's great fun making your own jewellery ! :appl:

Thanks, Katbran!

baby monster said:
Great job! I bought some supplies but haven't mustered the courage to actually try knotting.

Thanks, Baby monster. I am sure you are going to create some lovely pieces because you have such excellent taste. I look forward to seeing your first piece!

CRDKeshi said:
Very nice! I got thread last week, and am going to try this weekend ... I bet my first attempt won't be as nice as yours :) I bet you're excited to try another project; will look forward to seeing it!

I had ordered 2 loose Tahitians, 2 strands of loose Tahitians, and a strand of south sea pearls. It seemed daunting at first, but once I started there was no turning back and it got meditative/fun though my hands got irritated. once I was finished, I tried them on and the feeling was of relief, not that the project was agonizing, but that I had measured correctly lol. Originally I had planned for just the necklace and it just so happened that there were some pearls left for a bracelet too! I look forward to seeing your first piece, CRDKeshi!

Kay said:
I really like your mixed baroque strand -- what a great first project! :clap:

I also think you should keep that cool manicure with the different shades of blue and green.

Thanks, Kay!

mapo said:
Great knotting job! Your world of options really opens up when you can knot pearls.

Thanks, Mapo. Well actually, I was pretty inconsistent with the knots. The drilling holes differed between the Tahitians and the SS, the SS holes being a tad smaller. I double knotted some and tripled others. It was interesting, lol. I may redo them when my hands are in better shape.

thecat said:
Wow, you're so talented to be able to make your own necklace and bracelet. Lovely pieces :appl:

How generous, thecat, thank you!

Lady_Disdain said:
Very, very nice! I am impressed you were brave enough to knot such gorgeous pearls as your first project.

Thanks, Lady Disdain! I just dove in, and thought now or never, lol.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

And a neck pic, hopefully not huge

_21099.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Great job :appl: :appl: my hat goes off to anyone who can do this. I have tried and failed many times. Congratulations :wavey:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my goodness! You've nailed it lady! Gorgeous. :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Wow! Those look beautiful! You did a great job!

The necklace looks really spectacular on your neck!

My DD knots freshies, that we get at bead shows, with pearl silk. Did I misunderstand, did you knot with wire? :shock:

Can you post the link to the video? I'm sure I'll never have your level of skill, but I wanted to make a bracelet for DD without her knowledge.

And where did you get the fabulous pearls?

You did an awesome job, they're so even! :appl:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

Elysian - They look even better on you! Great job!

Kay

Ideal_Rock

I like the necklace even better now that I've seen it on you. You executed the asymmetrical design very well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow, it looks absolutely gorgeous on you!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Elysian, your necklace and bracelet look fantastic. Great job knotting too. You are so brave to start out with Tahitian and WSS. I used AA+/AAA FW pearls from the beaders sale that PP had a long time ago. I find it relaxing to knot, except the beginning and the end. For Tahitian and SS pearls I've been using Power Pro. They are rough on the hands but strong enough to not stretch too much like silk. A rope will be heavier and Power Pro is probably a very good choice. I got some pink Beaders Secret from Pattye but have not used it yet so I can't comment on how long it will take to stretch.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Elysian,
Are you in the US? There are a few sporting goods stores that carry Power Pro. They have so many lines now I had to look at my spools to find out what I have. It's the micro braided line. I use white and moss green. Moss green is good for Tahitian pearls. Avoid any other colors other than white and moss green. We've found out that those colors bleed from the other pearl forum. Most of the online stores ship for order over $49. Or you can try a B&M location. Some beaders on the other forum said they use 30 lb. I use 50 lb for most of my strand. The good thing about the spool is they have a section of approximately 6-10 inches knotted to the corner of the box. You can untie, double thread through a needle and pass through the pearls twice. That will tell you if the width is big enough. This sample length of thread is nice because I could test the thickness with my pearls without using their spools in case I have to return. Cabela's does not ship free, but Amazon, Dicks Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain ship free with a minimum order requirement.

http://www.basspro.com/PowerPro-Braided-Spectra-Fiber-Micro-Filament-Line-300-Yards/product/44283/

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Pro-10-Pounds-Visibility/dp/B000SHQ89W

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11496429

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Super-Lines|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104612580/PowerPro-Moss-Green-Line-150-300-Yards/738578.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsuper-lines%2Fpowerpro%2F_%2FN-1100386%2B1000004332%2FNe-1000004332%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104612580

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

4Ranch Girl said:
Great job :appl: :appl: my hat goes off to anyone who can do this. I have tried and failed many times. Congratulations :wavey:

Thanks, 4Ranch girl!

JaneSmith said:
Oh my goodness! You've nailed it lady! Gorgeous. :love:

Thanks, JaneSmith!!!

iLander said:
Wow! Those look beautiful! You did a great job!

The necklace looks really spectacular on your neck!

My DD knots freshies, that we get at bead shows, with pearl silk. Did I misunderstand, did you knot with wire? :shock:

Can you post the link to the video? I'm sure I'll never have your level of skill, but I wanted to make a bracelet for DD without her knowledge.

And where did you get the fabulous pearls?

You did an awesome job, they're so even! :appl:

Thanks, iLander! I used Power Pro in moss green, 20 lbs test. PP is great for beginners like me. I ended up reknotting the necklace and bracelet and it's much easier subsequently. And my hands are well callused. :p

Here's the Pearl Maven video I was referring to:
http://youtu.be/LAQ1SAoOVyE...

I purchased my pearls from agustus collection, easterntradewinds.com. They were wonderful to purchase from!

You're such a nice mom to make a bracelet for your daughter. :) It's such a thoughtful gift!

pkinnew said:
Elysian - They look even better on you! Great job!

How sweet, thank you, pkinnew!

Kay said:
I like the necklace even better now that I've seen it on you. You executed the asymmetrical design very well.

How nice of you, thanks, Kay!

movie zombie said:
wow, it looks absolutely gorgeous on you!

Thanks, movie zombie!

HHPmom said:
Elysian, your necklace and bracelet look fantastic. Great job knotting too. You are so brave to start out with Tahitian and WSS. I used AA+/AAA FW pearls from the beaders sale that PP had a long time ago. I find it relaxing to knot, except the beginning and the end. For Tahitian and SS pearls I've been using Power Pro. They are rough on the hands but strong enough to not stretch too much like silk. A rope will be heavier and Power Pro is probably a very good choice. I got some pink Beaders Secret from Pattye but have not used it yet so I can't comment on how long it will take to stretch.
HHPmom said:
Elysian,
Are you in the US? There are a few sporting goods stores that carry Power Pro. They have so many lines now I had to look at my spools to find out what I have. It's the micro braided line. I use white and moss green. Moss green is good for Tahitian pearls. Avoid any other colors other than white and moss green. We've found out that those colors bleed from the other pearl forum. Most of the online stores ship for order over $49. Or you can try a B&M location. Some beaders on the other forum said they use 30 lb. I use 50 lb for most of my strand. The good thing about the spool is they have a section of approximately 6-10 inches knotted to the corner of the box. You can untie, double thread through a needle and pass through the pearls twice. That will tell you if the width is big enough. This sample length of thread is nice because I could test the thickness with my pearls without using their spools in case I have to return. Cabela's does not ship free, but Amazon, Dicks Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain ship free with a minimum order requirement.

<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.basspro.com/PowerPro-Braided-Spectra-Fiber-Micro-Filament-Line-300-Yards/product/44283/"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>basspro</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>PowerPro</span><span>-</span><span>Braided</span><span>-</span><span>Spectra</span><span>-</span><span>Fiber</span><span>-</span><span>Micro</span><span>-</span><span>Filament</span><span>-</span><span>Line</span><span>-</span><span>300</span><span>-</span><span>Yards</span><span>/</span><span>product</span><span>/</span><span>44283</span><span>/</span></a>

<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.amazon.com/Power-Pro-10-Pounds-Visibility/dp/B000SHQ89W"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>amazon</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>Power</span><span>-</span><span>Pro</span><span>-</span><span>10</span><span>-</span><span>Pounds</span><span>-</span><span>Visibility</span><span>/</span><span>dp</span><span>/</span><span>B000SHQ89W</span></a>

<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11496429"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>dickssportinggoods</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>product</span><span>/</span><span>index</span><span>.</span><span>jsp</span><span>?</span><span>productId</span><span>=</span><span>11496429</span></a>

<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Super-Lines|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104612580/PowerPro-Moss-Green-Line-150-300-Yards/738578.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsuper-lines%2Fpowerpro%2F_%2FN-1100386%2B1000004332%2FNe-1000004332%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104612580"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>cabelas</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>product</span><span>/</span><span>Fishing</span><span>/</span><span>Fishing</span><span>-</span><span>Line</span><span>/</span><span>Super</span><span>-</span><span>Lines</span><span>|/</span><span>pc</span><span>/</span><span>104793480</span><span>/</span><span>c</span><span>/</span><span>104719680</span><span>/</span><span>sc</span><span>/</span><span>104612580</span><span>/</span><span>PowerPro</span><span>-</span><span>Moss</span><span>-</span><span>Green</span><span>-</span><span>Line</span><span>-</span><span>150</span><span>-</span><span>300</span><span>-</span><span>Yards</span><span>/</span><span>738578</span><span>.</span><span>uts</span><span>?</span><span>destination</span><span>=%</span><span>2Fcatalog</span><span>%</span><span>2Fbrowse</span><span>%</span><span>2Fsuper</span><span>-</span><span>lines</span><span>%</span><span>2Fpowerpro</span><span>%</span><span>2F</span><span>_%</span><span>2FN</span><span>-</span><span>1100386</span><span>%</span><span>2B1000004332</span><span>%</span><span>2FNe</span><span>-</span><span>1000004332</span><span>%</span><span>3FWTz</span><span>_</span><span>st</span><span>%</span><span>3DGuidedNav</span><span>%</span><span>26WTz</span><span>_</span><span>stype</span><span>%</span><span>3DGNU</span><span>&</span><span>WTz</span><span>_</span><span>l</span><span>=</span><span>Unknown</span><span>%</span><span>3Bcat104612580</span></a>

Wow! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge you have just shared with me, HHHP! Looks like I'm on the right track with PP! I used 20 lb test and double/ triple knotted my strands. I guess the larger the drilling holes and larger the pearls the higher lb test?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jewel of the week! Congrats Elysian :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

I'm so proud! One of "us"! Congrats, what an honor!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Just checked the Jewel of the Week, and saw your beautiful set have been selected for the honor.

Very worthy! Congratulations!

Kay

Ideal_Rock

That's awesome! Congrats, Elysian. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results