shape
carat
color
clarity

My first pearls ever

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
those look lovely! Can't wait to hear your report and see your photos!!!

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Seems to be a nice strand of pearls only not South Sea, Akoya, vintage or from Japan. Those pearls hail from a fresh farm in China.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks lorissey and old pearler!

Oldpearler; will You please give me some tips how You immediately knew these are from China farm, not what they described to be. Was is photos, pricing? To my eye they just looked charming. About pricing; was this necklace overpriced for what it is? I want to learn more :)

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't know of they are freshies or Akoya, but they do look beautiful!

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
The photograph is of a freshwater pearl strand. South Sea pearls are from Australia. There doesn't exist a type of pearl such as South Sea Akoya pearls.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks! Live and learn! Is there any thread from where I could learn difference between pearls?

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The Old Pearler|1380685951|3530563 said:
The photograph is of a freshwater pearl strand. South Sea pearls are from Australia. There doesn't exist a type of pearl such as South Sea Akoya pearls.

Ohhh!! Good catch! Funny, I just read Akoya. :rolleyes:

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Confection10|1380686324|3530566 said:
Many thanks! Live and learn! Is there any thread from where I could learn difference between pearls?

I'm not sure as I don't read up here too often. For me it is just experience and fresh to salt is black and white. All of the pieces on offer are missdescribed and that is unfortunate.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
What do You think, oldpearler, is this necklace overpriced? Is there any good sites on internet from where to learn?

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
I hadn't noticed the price before but it doesn't seem bad to me, whilst others may or may not differ, I only object to the description. The website has alot of pearl strands that are better described.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks! I obviously started from bottom, so only my only way is going higher grade pearls in future :D

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, they look like freshwaters, and not vintage. She has a number of other freshwaters listed as akoyas and Tahitians as well, both naturally colored ones and dyed ones. If you would like to learn more pearl information, check out Pearl-Guide. Oh, and I see some white freshwaters listed as South Sea pearls also.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
South Sea are either Tahitian black pearls, white south sea (grown in Australia, Phillipines, Indonesia), gold south sea (Australia, Indonesia, Phillipines). However when most people say South Sea they are normally referring to white and gold only. Tahitian pearls are just referred to as Tahitian black pearls, although some categorizes it as South Sea. South Sea pearls (white and gold) do not come in small sizes such as 7 mm. The luster is not metallic enought to look like akoya. Check out pearl-guide dot com for more education. We are not allowed to post link here so I have to spell out "dot".

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks pearlsngems and HHPmom! First thing I have learned is that luster. I have always thought that pearls are only shimmering and like satin or silk, not metallic type shine. Obviously I have a lot to learn :wavey:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Thsnks! Policy seems to be that seller doesn't know what she/he is selling or they give false information on purpose :confused: . I don't know which is worse...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that Chinese freshwater pearls are so large and so round, it has become very commonplace for them to be misrepresented as the more expensive saltwater pearls (akoya, South Sea, Tahitian.)

Assume they are freshwaters unless you have good reason to think otherwise, and you won't get cheated.

Generally if the price looks too good to be true, it is.
But the reverse is also true-- just because the price is high is no guarantee that they are saltwater pearls.

There is no substitute for educating yourself as a pearl buyer, but buying from reputable sources is the best protection from fraud. That's true for all jewelry, not only pearls.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure I will be happy with my first pearls. They really was quite cheap and seem to be quite pretty shade. I definately take some nice shots when they will arrive. After that I needed nice pearl studs. And after them bracelet, of course :D

Pearlsngems; wise words. Thank You!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Once a seller starts to talk about 7mm south sea akoya pearls while actually selling freshwater pearls from china the whole operation is a bit suspect - is that clasp really solid 14k?
I have to say that the price, for what look like fairly round and moderately lustrous pearls with possibly a plated clasp seems a bit on the high side
If you want pearls (good choice) go to a knowledgeable and reputable online seller

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When they arrive, if you are not satisfied, remember there is a return policy that allows you to return them for a full refund.

To see the policy details, click on the red words, "Terms of Sale" on the right sidebar of the pearls' Ruby Lane listing.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I have nothing to compare yet I think I'm satisfied. I live in Finland and returning is always quite a hassle project. Especially if my neclace comes thru custom and I must pay taxes. But as I said; live and learn. Now I have read of Akoya's, Freshadama, Hanadama and South Sea pearls. And I think that next time I want to try Freshadama or Hanadama studs. Golden South Sea's were marvelous too. I have looked old cut diamonds so far and now I have found a totally new object to learn. And boy; pearls are fascinating :love:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All reputable sellers will accept pearl returns with no hassle. (And if you buy from a seller within the EU you have the protection of the Distance Selling Regulations as well (and no customs))

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I meaned hassle with customs, not seller. If these are real pearls, they are quite cheap vs. what we have here in Finland. I have bought 12 years all my luxury staffs outside Finland, because this country is so expensive all the way.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I also meant customs as in no added customs charges or problems or delays when buying from any other EU member state.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I have shopped a lot from Europe too, but some items are cheaper to purchase outside Europe including taxes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results