shape
carat
color
clarity

Learner Pearls & Thank You

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Last fall I came over to the PS Pearl side for the first time, and got advice about purchasing white pearl drop earrings. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/starter-white-pearl-drop-earring-advice.205110/ I promised to come back with pics after my sons had gifted them to me for my b-day, but then you know...one thing and another, and I still haven't. I had some free time this morning, and am here to be a good PSer and finally post those pics.

Everyone on the thread was so helpful and kind- thank you! I am glad I took the advice of metallic FW drops from Pearl Paradise (9-10mm). I have worn them a tonne. The lustre is incredible and I feel beautiful when they are on. :)

I took the pics on a blank primed canvas this morning in diffused natural light (random neck/ear shots have been taken over the past months with an iphone).

p1070100.jpg

2015-01-19_12.jpg

So after that there was no doubt I would be getting more pearls... :Up_to_something:

I hesitate to post my very modest pearls with the incredible collections usually shown on PS, but I've gotten help and advice on most of the pieces either vicariously through lurking or directly, so I want to share. Over in CS they talk about "learner stones" and these have been my learner pearls! I have learned from every purchase about pearls in general and my own particular tastes in pearls (2 years ago I didn't think I cared much for pearls...silly, misguided me!).

2014-09-17_13.jpg

My first Tahitian- a 10-11mm AAA round with peacock overtones on a 16" omega chain from Pure Pearls. I wasn't too sure about this purchase at first. Having been wooed and wowed by all the Tahitian photos online, I was disappointed in this pearl's subtle overtones. I also had some durability concerns about the pearl sliding on the chain and getting chipped or worn. Reassurance from Ashley over the phone, advice here, and frankly the inconvenience of returning from Canada tipped me in the balance of keeping the necklace. It has gotten quite a bit of wear and I am happy to report is faring fine, and I learned about overtones.

So of course I now needed earrings to match...

p1070082.jpg

These are my favorites! I got these during Pearl Paradise's spooky sale- 8-9mm AAA studs with peacock overtones. Having learned that I wanted stronger overtones and not wanting more is-it-worth-the-cross-border-return stress, I asked Chenai to help me choose something special, and was so pleased.

p1070090.jpg
Subtle vs strong peacock overtones. Obviously sharper lustre as well on the studs.

I learned that I wouldn't want to go too much larger in a round stud, since they would start to stick out unpleasantly on my ears. I also learned that a nice pair of Tahitian studs go with everything!

Between these studs and the MFWP dangles above, they have knocked most of my other earrings out of the rotation. Pearl earrings just do something so nice for your face! I have more to post, but am out of time. Will be back later. Thanks for reading!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Welcome back!!!

First your pearl drops are GORGEOUS! The luster and overtones are beautiful, and they look great in your ear! Feel free to post more earshot's whenever ;))

Also for your tahitians I LOVE it when tahitians are worn like that for a necklace pendant. It's so cool!!! and the matching earrings are gorgeous!!

You are building an enviable collection indeed!!! Please feel free to come back as often as you like! We love to enable people :naughty: :naughty:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful pearls! I especially love your metallic and Tahitian earrings! Congrats!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Crickett! I do like the enabling...a lot... ;))

And thanks Ricezo!!

So next up...

I knew I wanted a white MFW strand. I ruminated over length and size a lot (obsessed might be closer :wacko: ). I finally decided on a 36” length of 6-6.5mm AAA white metallic, which I ordered from Pure Pearls when she had a sale on metallics.

2014-10-30_15_0.jpg
Doubled up.

This is such a versatile piece. I really like that it isn’t too heavy. It can look more dressed up and I am mostly a casual dresser, and so it doesn’t get as much wear as other pieces, but I like having it in my pearl arsenal.

At some point I decided a bracelet would be nice too…

2015-05-11_15.jpg

This time from Pearl Paradise, 6-6.5mm AAA as well.

p1070096.jpg

This compares the small white metallics from the two vendors- strand on top and bracelet on bottom, and as you can see the quality is comparable, and the colour a pretty exact match (I think I really lucked out on this- I did specifically ask for cool overtones).

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well you have done an outstanding job with your initial purchases...you have avoided all the pitfalls that most of us fell into early on by buying fun lower quality items than now sit in a drawer...add up all that money and you'd have a really nice strand !

Love everything you bought and they are all excellent choices.. congrats ! This is how a bit of research pays off ! :love:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
My H surprised me with this pendant from the Pearl Paradise Christmas sale, after I admired it and you know, left that particular page open on his ipad… :devil:

p1070093.jpg

I was uncertain about this one at first as well. I wish I had the original listing pic, but it showed a blue-toned lavender FWP with a silver on silver Tahitian, so the three pearls together gave a pretty different overall effect than the one I received, which has a pinkish lavender in the middle and a silver body/green overtone Tahitian at the bottom. However, it was a gift, and I have grown to appreciate it more and more over time.

2015-01-19_12_0.jpg
On the 16” box chain it came with.

2014-12-31_12.jpg
On a long heavy sterling chain, which is how I like it best.

So my last one to post, I also posted in the Mother’s Day Sale thread. This was my only impulse purchase so far. I tend to like to go slowly and really consider each purchase, since it is sooo easy for me to get hypnotized by the PS pretties and end up with stuff that doesn’t suit my lifestyle or feel like “me” and isn’t going to actually be worn. But I saw this one on the “other forum” and the PoJ blog, and fell in love.

p1070077.jpg
36” Natural Blue Akoya Pearl Tin Cup Necklace, 8.5-9.0mm, near round from Pearls of Joy

I love this necklace. I love rose gold. I now know I love tin cups…I think even prefer them to strands? And even with my limited experience, I can tell that these pearls are really something special (love the colour!). I was surprised by some of the surface flaws on these pearls.

p1070116.jpg

They have one or more pits on about 2/3 of the pearls. This does bother me and I briefly considered returning (not sure how these holes in the nacre will effect durability over time?), but dang, I just really love this necklace and in order to get more perfect pearls I will be sacrificing some colour and paying more $$$. So I decided to wear it and love it, and if it does peel or wear poorly over time, I figure I can get the pearls replaced…which would be more learning for me. :lol:

So that is it for now. Thanks for all the help and inspiration! I am already mulling the next couple things on the pearl wish list…

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1431391928|3875276 said:
Well you have done an outstanding job with your initial purchases...you have avoided all the pitfalls that most of us fell into early on by buying fun lower quality items than now sit in a drawer...add up all that money and you'd have a really nice strand !

Love everything you bought and they are all excellent choices.. congrats ! This is how a bit of research pays off ! :love:

Thank you so much Katbran! I am really trying to buy pieces that I will love and wear, and trying to reign in my kid-in-candy-store enthusiasm. And PS as a resource helps so much! Well enables and helps... ;))

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I really like all your pieces, EvangelineG! And that PP pendant looks really nice on you. Haha, I should give that kind of *hints* for my DH,too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
EG, you are doing really well for your initial buys and I look forward to seeing your collection grow (my initial pearls are dismal). Thank you for sharing!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Icy_Jade! Given your current collection (which I go to your thread and drool over on a regular basis :love:), it's hard to even imagine you buying dismal pearls at the beginning!

And thank you Lovinggems! :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh I didn't see the rest of your posts! Beautiful pearls. Do you have a favourite piece?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, haha I've met some lovely pearls and luckily have a bigger budget. Think those cheap fwp are probably chalky by now. :cheeky:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ricezo! I am wearing the BBA tin cup a lot now, because it is newest (I very much need matching earrings!!!), but if I had to give up everything but one piece it would have to be the Tahitian studs. They are just so versatile and easy to wear, plus I just love the lustre and lively overtones. Definitely a favourite and a jewelry staple for me now.

2015-05-14_10.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Evangeline you have a solid base to grow a wonderful pearl collection in the years to come. Your starter pearls are beautiful and I am sure will stand the test of time. Well done and enjoy your beauties :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results