shape
carat
color
clarity

I Got My Tahitian Strand!

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I have been pouring over these forums trying to decide on my first pearl purchase. I really want a strand of white pearls and can't seem to settle on what type to buy, so I went for some Tahitians for now and will get the white pearls later. I ordered mine from Pearl Paradise and could not be happier! The quality was superior to what I have seen in department stores and the price was WAY lower than what the department stores are charging.

I do have a few tips for anyone who might be eyeing Tahitians from PP. Keep in mind that the website pictures are taken so as to show the best side of each pearl and the best possible color. When you see them in person they may not appear exactly as they do online. I have had my pearls for a couple of days now and find they look much lighter in direct sunlight and under flourescent lights. The look most like the pictures in indirect sunlight and that is how I think they look best. I'm trying to figure out how to walk in an indirect sunlight bubble for the rest of my life. ;)) Order from a place with a good return policy too! That was one of the things that drew me to PP. I knew I could send them back with no hassles if they did not wow me. They did wow me though and I am not sending them back. You would have to fight me to get these pearls.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a picture and a review because these forums really helped me decide what to buy. I love seeing REAL photos as they tend to look more true to life than the fancy shmancy online photos from the stores. I like having a realistic idea of what to expect.

photo__1_38.jpg

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I should have mentioned they are AA+/AAA quality with sharp luster, dark body color and peacock, green, cherry and gold overtones. They are on an 18" strand with a 14k gold standard ball clasp and range in size from 8.3 to 12.1mm. The only think I'm not a huge fan of is the clasp. It looks very nice; but, I am finding it hard to work. When I have them re-strung in a year or so I will be going with a fish hook clasp if I haven't gotten the hang of it between now and then. Maybe it will get easier to use with more practice.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - such a gorgeous strand of Tahitians - love love love the overtones! Your pic is wonderful.

I also want to thank you for your review of the transaction - it really is so helpful to hear about your search and your expectations and your reaction to the actual pearl strand.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, the colors are lovely on your strand!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the board and lucky You! Georgeous Tahitians! Enjoy :appl:

I'm newbie too and these ladies here have most beautiful pearls and superb knowledge. I can guarantee, You will enjoy hanging in pearl forum :wavey:

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I also wanted to note there were some deep inclusions in these pearls. If I had purchased these based solely on the website picture with no further research I may have been disappointing; but, I took the time to check the Education section on the PP website to familiarize myself with what AA+ and AAA meant for Tahitian pearls. Those definitions led me to believe each pearl had been carefully turned to showcase the best, most flawless angle prior to the photographs being taken. I'm glad I took the time to read those descriptions prior to ordering because it let me know what to reasonably expect. I think it is fair to say each pearl in the strand fit the descriptions of PP's posted grading system for Tahitian pearls. I did not take such care to turn any pearls when I snapped my quick photo on my iphone in the car. I don't really think the inclusions are very noticeable when the pearls are worn. You would only really notice them when holding them in your hands for a more close up inspection.

I consider this purchase my "benchmark" for what to expect and what I would be happy with. That being said, personally I would not order a AA+ strand. I would happily pay the little bit of extra money for a AA+/AAA or AAA strand. The increase in luster and fewer surface imperfections/inclusions is well worth the money for a mixed strand. Some of the AAA strands are a bit $$$ for me and they tend to be more round. I kind of really like the ringed baroque look and more pronounced drop look now that I have a set in hand to drool over.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new Tahitian strand. The colors are wonderful. Enjoy wearing it.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
You did an excellent job capturing the colors in your captivating necklace. Enjoy your beautiful Tahitians and wear them in good health. That was a rather daring first pearl purchase, especially if you were thinking of buying white pearls. Good for you and very well chosen on your part!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Quick trip to make clasps easier to manage. Decide which hand will always hold the body of the clasp and which the slider or other half and do that every time - It will cut out half the fumbling behind your head once you do!
Congratulations on a colourful necklace and about being clued up on your priorities. It's very sensible to realise that you are happy to have non perfect rounds for example but you want big lustre. (Indeed round and close to round are pretty much indistinguishable around your neck but it does matter big time to some) Just as some folk want lots of different colours and others want a closely matched strand.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ltimsmfft - I'm so happy you took your time finding the perfect Tahitian strand and you sure picked a great one! The colors are beautiful and the luster is amazing. I have purchased quite a bit from PP and it's great to hear from another happy customer! And I agree with you re: the vendor pictures - they are taken in the best of light. Congratulations!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
That looks beautiful on your neck. The colors really POP! I hope you enjoy wearing your new necklace and thank you for your review.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Tahitian necklace, and a great photo of you wearing it. I remember that strand from the PP web site. I was considering the purchase of an aubergine strand and that one has lots of cherry and peacock pearls. Love those colors. I'm glad to see that it is as beautiful in person as in the PP photos.

A great purchase. Enjoy wearing it! :appl: :wavey:

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl, we must have very similar taste in pearls because I was torn between purchasing the strand I now have and the aubergine strand. I have no doubts that at some point I will be purchasing an aubergine strand as well. I'm kind of toying with the idea of a strand of ringed Tahitians in aubergine with a few golden ringed ss pearls thrown in and maybe even a few ringed white ss pearls too. That would have to be a "next year" purchase though and I really want to mull over it a bit more. In my mind I'm seeing something kind of like the Pelosi with smaller pearls and more of an edge to it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the peacock colors best, especially the pearls with the aubergine body and the green overtones. I did purchase the PP drop strand with the light circles because the colors looked so appealing. I'm hoping to be able to show it off in a separate thread in a few days after it arrives. ;))

I really love how yours looks. Great luster and wonderful colors. It makes me even more excited to get mine. :))

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Your new T strand is GORGEOUS :love: :love: :love: Enjoy!

Fly girl Oh I can't wait to see your new strand too :appl: :appl: :appl:

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
Pearlescence, thank you for the tip about the clasp! Your advice worked!!!!! I will be keeping this clasp now that I have figured out how to manage it properly. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results