Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I am somewhat attracted to the idea of having some circled tahitians... In a rope of course, like this one:

:love: :love: :love:

Am thinking around 66 inches so that I can do a triple torsade.

There is the spending freeze that I am supposed to adhere to, but if I DIY, I may just be able to justify on the basis of relative affordability... Say with pearls like these (10 to 12 mm).

What do you ladies think? Circled tahitians rope or not?
Too big/small?
Too long/short?

Or should I wait till AFTER the Oct Jewellery show so that I don't exhaust my funds?

_9179.jpg

_9180.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Circle tahitian pearls are usually the most colorful, especially the ones with the stripes. I personally do not care for the brown stripes or pale khaki pearls though. Some circle pearls have less circles (as in furrows/grooves, not the color stripes) and some have lots of furrows. Depending on the pearls, with the "tight" circles you can't see your reflection on them because the surface is covered with grooves. KWIM?

I like 60" length because you can triple. Beware that 10-12mm in that length can get heavy. The pearls in your close-up picture look fabulous. I love blue stripes on green pearls as well as green stripes. Based on your post that you want triple torsade, I am assuming you won't break them into shorter necklaces with multiple clasps to join them. If you choose the single clasp route instead of endless rope, be sure to use one that is heavy enough for all that weight. I used the heavy duty spring ring clasp (as described by riogrande.com or the like) with my 60" tahitian rope http://www.riogrande.com/Product/14K-Yellow-Gold-Jumbo-Spring-Ring-Clasps-with-Attach-Rings/644916?Pos=2 . PP sells it as Senora clasp. You can also hook a pendant to this clasp...for the oodles-of-pearls option.

8-22-2013_12-21-36_pm.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I voted "yes", but only if the pearls are as colorful in real life as those pictured.

Isn't the biggest show in September?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Most definitely yes :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: I would go with 8-10mm though because of the weight. A triple torsade would be dreamy :love: Please keep us posted!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you need circled Tahitians in your life. I have a strand that is dreamy, to me. Gorgeous play of colours.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
JaneSmith|1377199250|3508171 said:
Yes, you need circled Tahitians in your life. I have a strand that is dreamy, to me. Gorgeous play of colours.

yes, this. I LOVE circled Tahitians and they'd be amazing in a rope. I want one too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, 12 'yes' and 1 'no'. :lol:

Really curious why no - can the PSer who answered pls explain why?

@pearlsngems & @janesmith & mrs t : thanks for being so supportive!

@HHPmom: really appreciate your thoughtful reply and suggestion. I will try on both of my tahitians to test the weight in a while...

@bsomlo: I am from Singapore so my fair is in Oct. And that fair is open to the public too. The Hong Kong one is not. ;-)
Dunno about colours... Y'know the usual angst with vendor photos...

@LitGeek: I am a big girl with a fat neck... So bigger works. 8-10 mm looks puny on me...

----

But, but... And I've had some cooling down period... I think I should wait until after the Oct fair, in case I have no $$$ to buy a dreamy item that I see in real life. This is on my to do list tho! And I will keep you ladies posted. Thanks again! :wavey:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I said no because you said you really needed to save your money for October and these pearls are nothing like your Andy Muellers.

But the real reason is probably because I have so far been successful in not purchasing a circled Tahitian rope for myself, although I really want one, so how could I go and tell you to do it? :naughty:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1377291693|3508825 said:
I said no because you said you really needed to save your money for October and these pearls are nothing like your Andy Muellers.

But the real reason is probably because I have so far been successful in not purchasing a circled Tahitian rope for myself, although I really want one, so how could I go and tell you to do it? :naughty:

Thank you Fly Girl. I shall try to remember that there are other stunners waiting for me at the show... And restrain myself from lesser beauties in the mean time.... :(sad

(NOT buying is soooo hard... Sigh, it's like kicking an addiction) :errrr:

So what is the reason for you not getting circled pearls? I know you have been getting stunners of course (like your lovely new ring)... Just curious if you don't mind sharing.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1377265178|3508585 said:
@HHPmom: really appreciate your thoughtful reply and suggestion. I will try on both of my tahitians to test the weight in a while...

@LitGeek: I am a big girl with a fat neck... So bigger works. 8-10 mm looks puny on me...

Ok, a bit of a problem... Two actually...after trying with my existing pearls....

1. Ropes are really heavy!!! As warned, I know... But I only want the circles in a rope... A choker or strand just won't make the grade if you know what I mean...

2. I can go small, but small pearls look bleh on me. The big girl small pearls problem again. (I am 5'7)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ideas anyone?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1377311926|3508983 said:
Fly Girl|1377291693|3508825 said:

Thank you Fly Girl. I shall try to remember that there are other stunners waiting for me at the show... And restrain myself from lesser beauties in the mean time.... :(sad

(NOT buying is soooo hard... Sigh, it's like kicking an addiction) :errrr:

So what is the reason for you not getting circled pearls? I know you have been getting stunners of course (like your lovely new ring)... Just curious if you don't mind sharing.
I think it would be tricky to pick out a stunning circle Tahitian strand from pictures. This is one instance where I'd like to see it in person, just to be sure.

I felt that same way about baroque golden strands. So, I was thrilled when my personal shopper, 4 Ranch Girl, picked some out for me in person at Pearl Paradise. They turned out to be wonderful, with great freeform baroque shapes and a buttery yellow with a silvery luster, but I really couldn't be sure until I saw them in person.

I think you are a person who wants very special pearls. If you can see the circles in person, then, when you have the funds, go ahead. Otherwise, I would wait until you find some truly special circled Tahitians, on par with your other amazing strands.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1377312738|3508987 said:
I think you are a person who wants very special pearls. If you can see the circles in person, then, when you have the funds, go ahead. Otherwise, I would wait until you find some truly special circled Tahitians, on par with your other amazing strands.

Thank you Fly Girl!! I shall refer back to your advice here whenever my pearl withdrawal symptoms get too bad in the coming weeks...

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Fly Girl. An investment like that you should really see before committing. Circled pearls seem to vary so much with lighting etc. and they have a very distinct personality. I would search, and wait, for the right ones to come along. Don't rush into anything!! Plus you already have two divine Tahitian necklaces to tide you over!

Is there a Jewellery show in Singapore in October?? I am going to the HK one in September.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Update: 18 votes, 15 for yes and 3 no.

misskittycat|1377465047|3509638 said:
I agree with Fly Girl. An investment like that you should really see before committing. Circled pearls seem to vary so much with lighting etc. and they have a very distinct personality. I would search, and wait, for the right ones to come along. Don't rush into anything!! Plus you already have two divine Tahitian necklaces to tide you over!

Is there a Jewellery show in Singapore in October?? I am going to the HK one in September.

Waiting is very hard...

And yes the Singapore show is in Oct. That fair is open to the public too. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results